leaning and sliding

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must be getting old.... 30 years ago on my Honda CB400N I had ground the pegs to half the length on skinny Pirelli Phantoms, including dumping it once when the footpeg mount met the road and lifted the rear tyre, my current FZ's chicken knobs are pristine and untouched.... :spank:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
iam a regular knee-downer,my fz has gilles rear sets but on the stock foot pegs i never touched the pegs down even going to the edge of my tyre,only thing i can think is your going over the edge of your tyre and inducing the slide,its time my freind to think of body position,hang of the bike scrape your slider,watch the chicken strip and gauge angle of lean,i start riding hard but remain smoooooooth after about 2-3 miles,ive been knee downing in 10 degrees c,tyres are great and it takes a poor rd-surface or slippery wet or contaminated corner to loose grip,BTW i run bridgestone sport/touring tyres
hope you sort it as it must be confidence sapping
nick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ground the pegs and still had tire left to go.

Opposite here - chickens gone but never touched the pegs. With gear I weigh in at 208lbs. IIRC the rear spring is back in the stock position. R6 forkies and the sag front and rear is 31mm / 29mm out back.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Opposite here - chickens gone but never touched the pegs. With gear I weigh in at 208lbs. IIRC the rear spring is back in the stock position. R6 forkies and the sag front and rear is 31mm / 29mm out back.

Did you remove the "peg grinders/feelers"? I did on my bike and now I mostly scrape the toes on my boots and I really can't remember if my pegs scrape anymore. I know they did before I removed the "grinders/feelers"

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a performance riding school.

If you're in this to learn how to corner quickly and have some fun being a bit aggressive, then do it the right way. You'll be safer for it and have more fun as you explore your limits and those of your bike.

Then follow up with trackdays once a week....

...for the rest of your natural life.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I weighed 250lbs two seasons ago.

It's not your weight.

It's any one of or combination of:

• Tire temp
  • Surface condition
  • Throttle application
  • Lack of throttle
  • Speed of rear wheel rotation vs actual speed
  • Too much tire pressure
  • Tire compound
  • Unbeknownst-to-rider rear brake application
  • Tire is not *actually* sliding

Or any number of other things but these imo are the most likely. Proper cornering technique would mean you wouldnt be sliding around.

So who knows why it's happening. We can't see what you're doing from here.

A performance riding school instructor would.

Dooooooooooo it.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the crap roads around here have been tar'd and graveled. The spray nozzle applying the Tar loads up thick under said nozzle and thinner further away. Once all the loose gravel flies off, there are grooves which steer the bike.
The more squared off the tires, the more it gets steer'd. My point, while going straight these grooves/valleys make the bike squirm a little. They continue to do the same thing around the corners while leaned over and its a very strange sensation. PS the CARS do the packing and later they sweep up some of the excess. Any chance you're riding on a weird surface?

Little rant to big RANT:
The chip-tar roads are just nasty all the time. Slippery when hot, when damp, when cold, when the sun orbits. Time does not matter - they remain slippery! I hate them but at least they don't grooves. . .

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the tires. I put a set of pirelli diablo's on a Suzuki DRZ400SM. Never had a problem with sliding before, then happened a lot after. Definitely wakes you up.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the back out pretty good on the wet chip-tar both on the gas and on the brake. So far every time its been out was rider error for me. To much brake or on something slippery that won't allow bite.

So I ask, what do you do to tame this condition and not make it worse? I mane, most of us know when we made a mistake. i.e. too much of something. . .

So I think the answer lies in the correction needed to tame the situation. Any insight on that?