K&N Motorcycle Air Filter Help or Hype?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noted more airflow(had to richen my fuel mixture) and faster throttle response after installing a K&N air filter. Any aftermarket filter is going to be better than OEM.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doc that is an outstanding collection of test data and I think it pretty much sums it up. K&Ns are great for the race track and special applications but for everyday use I'll take the OEM filter.

I am a reformed K&N filter user. After spending a small fortune on modding my '87 Carrera, hi-comp pistons, SC cams, SSI headers, Custom muffler, custom chip, cool Ti bits, etc, etc. I had a large K&N cone filter on the car and was cleaning one day and took the filter off so I could clean easier behind it. To my surprise the intake runner was covered with DUST and fine DIRT; dust and dirt that was going into my motor! The K&N was ditched and the stock system, with a paper filter was put back on.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Its really hard to argue with documentation like that. Admittedly I didnt do it and I dont know that guy - but what he's saying is in line with what others had said without the testing.

Also, I found the stock for $25. As I'm a take it out and smack it on the ground kinda guy, I should get a couple years per filter. So I *might* buy one new filter between now and my new bike :D

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really see what you guys are missing. You want more air flow, you get less filtration no matter what aftermarket filter you use. Doesn't matter who makes the filter they do what they are supposed to do, flow more air. More air =more dirt. Pretty simple.

FZ ROWE

Reaction score
Visit site
Doc that is an outstanding collection of test data and I think it pretty much sums it up. K&Ns are great for the race track and special applications but for everyday use I'll take the OEM filter.

I am a reformed K&N filter user. After spending a small fortune on modding my '87 Carrera, hi-comp pistons, SC cams, SSI headers, Custom muffler, custom chip, cool Ti bits, etc, etc. I had a large K&N cone filter on the car and was cleaning one day and took the filter off so I could clean easier behind it. To my surprise the intake runner was covered with DUST and fine DIRT; dust and dirt that was going into my motor! The K&N was ditched and the stock system, with a paper filter was put back on.

Sounds like you didn't have enough oil on it. I had one on my 97 F-150 4x4 and it saw alot of dusty roads and I never had that prob. Put one on my 06 last year and love it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you didn't have enough oil on it. I had one on my 97 F-150 4x4 and it saw alot of dusty roads and I never had that prob. Put one on my 06 last year and love it.

Nope it was all red and soaked in all the way.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had K&N filters in almost every bike and car I've owned. Even a 90' Toyota Corolla with the flip-up lights. That car had one, and it went for about 300k miles, and never saw the inside of a shop for anything but timing belt change. That car never ran bad, plugged anything, or protested. I think they work great. I had a Kuryakyn Corsair intake on my VTX 1800, which is very similar to the K&N gauze n' oil thing. I had it for two years, and it was never dirty or dusty inside the tube. Weird. They've worked great for me. I don't go near a lot of dirty roads though. At least I try not to, but around here in northern GA, dirt roads are aplenty. Still no problems on any of the cars.

- Troy

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
simple? someone call me?

more dirt = clogged / damaged engine

yup, pretty simple

I'll bet you can't think of or find a proven example of a aftermarket air filter clogging an engine. The amount of extra dirt is minute. Not like these things just came out, they have been made for some 30 years.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had K&N filters in almost every bike and car I've owned. Even a 90' Toyota Corolla with the flip-up lights. That car had one, and it went for about 300k miles, and never saw the inside of a shop for anything but timing belt change. That car never ran bad, plugged anything, or protested. I think they work great. I had a Kuryakyn Corsair intake on my VTX 1800, which is very similar to the K&N gauze n' oil thing. I had it for two years, and it was never dirty or dusty inside the tube. Weird. They've worked great for me. I don't go near a lot of dirty roads though. At least I try not to, but around here in northern GA, dirt roads are aplenty. Still no problems on any of the cars.

- Troy

Same here. Running them since 1992 on nearly 10 vehicles and have not had a single problem. No engine clogging(LOL), or engine related problems of any kind using any aftermarket air filter.

jimmytwosheds

Family Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have put a replacement K&N filter in every motor I have owned(5) and can say without doubt that they are the best!
I have sold K&N replacement filters for many years(10) without complaint.
They give you more air flow, they fit tighter in the air box, better throttle response with a increase in horse power in some applications and much better filtration than standard filters - nuff said.......;)