Just picked up an FZ6, how did I do?

opsound

Reaction score
Visit site
Its my first bike. Just completed the MSF rider course in my area and got my M endorsement on my license.

$3300 for a stock 2007 FZ6 with 7.8 K miles.

My good friend who is an experienced rider came with me for the purchase and said everything seemed to check out from what he could tell. He rode it back 30 mi to get it back home and had no complaints. Cosmetically, everything looks good except for a few light scratches on the plastic.

q4l1V.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW!

Congratulations on your MSF.

Great bike! Sounds like you got a good deal.

Remember to gear up! :)

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a good deal to me!

some new members don't know that AGATT = all the gear, all the time!

:welcome:

:wav:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Take advantage of all the wealth of knowledge from the members here. :welcome:
I think you scored an awesome deal one your bike. :thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT= boots gloves helmet jacket with elbow shoulder and back protector pants with Kevlar remember you need to protect the bits you want to keep in good condition
All of this stuff is replacebable and you will every couple of years but remember once skin is gone the only way to get it back is with grafts
I know this is is the serious side of riding and you can never hear it enough
Gear up, ride to your ability not the show off in front of you learn, learn learn
I'm 52+ and still learn everyday..... And I dropped my bike in the backyard a week or so back
Don't apply to much front brake when the bars are on full lock

So enough of the dad talk
Enjoy riding its great fun but
And it's a big but

Ride smart

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

opsound

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Already got my helmet but am going to gear up for sure. ATGATT definitely makes sense to me.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Also agree on getting the faster blue version! :thumbup: You will love it! Take it easy and get to know the bike before letting 'er rip!

Great deal on the bike though!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
$3300 for a stock 2007 FZ6 with 7.8 K miles.

I bought my '08 with TB exhaust with 9.5k miles for $3750. But this was in the peak spring season. Sounds like you paid exactly what it's worth.

That's a pretty nice thing about these bikes that isn't often talked about. You know what you're getting and and just how much it should cost +/- a couple hundred bucks. I laugh when I see 4 year old Fizzers advertised for 4,900 bucks, even though they are usually worth that and more.

I was talking to a friend last week about the FZ and he asked me how much I paid for it. He responded, "WHAT?... I was thinking more like eight grand!" He nearly crapped himself when I told him they didn't cost that new.

They say you get what you pay for. This bike breaks that adage. You get more than you pay for. Even if you paid more than you should have.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking sharp, man! Welcome, and enjoy your FZ. I certainly do not regret purchasing mine!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, you will enjoy the bike. Just take some time to learn it. Pretty quick when in the power band. Like others have said get the gear. I find mine can be top heavy so be careful at low speeds and when stopping, keep it straigt up and take the extra second or two to "do it right". Have been riding my FZ6 for almost 5 years and dropped it in the in-laws driveway a while back - it was late and I had ridden for two hours and didn't take the extra time to swing wide on turning in. Stalled it and down we went - didn't hurt much except my pride.

As for the price I'm sure with more looking you could have found one with more miles and paid more. :) Seriously that's a good deal.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Already got my helmet but am going to gear up for sure. ATGATT definitely makes sense to me.

Nice looking fz6. I'll add to what the others said and say when you look for gear "the best" isn't necessarily the best. Buy something that you'll know you'll wear, and is easy to wear. A 1 piece suit might have the best protection but is worthless for the average street rider, but that's an extreme example. A more realistic one happened to me with riding pants.

I had a pair that were like normal pants, and sometimes I'd skip them because I'd have to remove my boots to put them on and it was a bit of a pain. Now I have pants that zip 3/4 up the leg and go one super easy and I wear them every time.

I think the best gear, especially for a new rider, is comfortable to wear and easy to put on. After you get some miles under your belt you can get more specialized stuff.

opsound

Reaction score
Visit site
After almost a week of owning the bike, I have to say I like it a lot.

All my gear came in, so I've had the chance to take it out a bit. The first two days were pretty rough. I was totally unprepared for how short the friction zone on the clutch was, and stalled at a few lights. I'm used to it now and feel like I can confidently start the bike. I went on a 90 min ride yesterday with one of my friends through some nice roads, which was both exciting and scary.

Changed the oil and filter, and will be doing the same with the brake fluid and coolant this weekend. I'm going to order a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2s (current tires are stock and have a bit of a flat on them), G2 throttle tamer, and hopefully get my name on the list for the KN clutch slave lever mod.