Just got my first ever bike, FZ6 of course

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. Been lurking for a while because I have been looking at getting my first bike and an FZ6 was one of my top options. Things I was looking for:

• Fit taller rider (i'm 6'4'' 220 lbs)
  • Had fuel injection
  • Had a fairly upright seating position
  • $3000-$4000
  • Around 600cc

So after a while of watching CL I spotted one that looked pretty good.

Went and looked at it last week monday and could tell the guy took good care of it. Was in great condition. Checked a lot of the major stuff like chain teeth, fork alignment, signs of it being laid down, brakes, electrical, everything checked out.

Picked it up Thursday for a bit less than he was asking. Had to ride it home on backroads due to the fact I only have my permit (taking the MSF course in a few weeks) which took a good 1 1/2 hours :eek:

Killed it a few times (hey, it's my first bike!), and pulled an oops going down the wrong way on a one way street in downtown Minneapolis (I immediately pulled to the side and turned it around all cool, like i was parking it) but overall, it was a blast.

Spent the weekend opening up the side of the bike and cleaning the tar-like buildup from years of sling off chain lube. Wow that stuff is nasty, and boy was it caked on. I should have taken before and after pics. The rear sprocket went from black to a nice bright silver :thumbup:

Anyway, thought I should say HEY! before I start posting on here with all the questions running through my head.

Also, any advice is welcome from all you seasoned riders out there, regarding the bike or riding in general:D

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. :thumbup: As you probably already know from lurking, there's a vast resource of information on the forum.
My only advice to you is to take it slowly getting used to the FZ and to always gear up no matter how far you're riding.
Enjoy the ride! :rockon:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Awesome man, congrats on the new bike. Sounds like you've taken you time about getting a bike, taking the a MSF course is better then a GREAT idea :thumbup:, only other thing I can think of is having (and wearing) the proper gear. I am not an ATGATT (all the gear all the time) guy, but I am most defiantly a Most of the gear all the time. I almost never ride without at least jeans, boots, gloves, jacket, and of course helmet.

Have fun and take it slow, you'll love the bike for years to come!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Points to ponder.

1. Get frame sliders

2. Hold on to your wallet as the mod bug bites you.

3. Chicks don't dig scars...GEAR!

4. It is a different animal above 8K, so be ready.

5. Ride often and enjoy!

6. All the info you need is here so search is your friend:thumbup:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats! The bike is a fun all-around bike. I just got mine beginning of March, and it is my first bike, so I'm in somewhat of the same boat as you, AND you are also in MN! If you haven't gone there yet, MNSBR is a good site for local area stuff/info/group rides.

Also :thumbup: on taking the MSF course.

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Points to ponder.

1. Get frame sliders

2. Hold on to your wallet as the mod bug bites you.

3. Chicks don't dig scars...GEAR!

4. It is a different animal above 8K, so be ready.

5. Ride often and enjoy!

6. All the info you need is here so search is your friend:thumbup:

Frame sliders were already on it, which is nice. I've got a Bell RS-1 on the way with the photochromatic shield. The guy had a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 that actually fit me pretty well so I will probably use that in the meantime. plan on getting boots and pants as well.

congrats on your new bike and where are the pics?

My buddy who was following me home in my car the day i picked it up took one when we stopped at a gas station. I will have to post it.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: To the best forum and motorcycle out there. I am sure you will enjoy it and the great people of this fourm. Please ride safe and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders were already on it, which is nice. I've got a Bell RS-1 on the way with the photochromatic shield. The guy had a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 that actually fit me pretty well so I will probably use that in the meantime. plan on getting boots and pants as well.

Great helmet, and especially in MN, get some gloves if you havent. bugs hurt the hands at 70-80mph, and chilly mornings make it worse

Shockwave

Reaction score
Visit site
2006 victory hammer, rode it for 5 years. Time for something new

0cb9cd02-e0c1-6a62.jpg