Just bought my FZ6

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations. My Fazer is my first Yamaha as well. I love it! I hope your's brings you many miles/years of safe, carefree enjoyment.
Deer whistles...on a bike! Hmmmm? I will say this: On a car I know they work. I bumped a deer once, many years ago. Since then, I had five close calls in as many weeks but after installing a set under my front bumper I have never had a single close call since, (in over three years)!
I had not considered them on my bike but on my first (Fazer) night ride I nearly nailed a (very lucky) deer! He came out of nowhere as quick as a flash and if he were slower or I was faster he would have caught me about head-high! If someone laughs, let them laugh - a deer at any speed on a bike could be deadly! If you live in an area where there are deer, (like I do), perhaps it may be a wise mod? (Where are your's located?)
BTW: If you start worrying about your transmission "clunking" when you change gears - don't! We all not only get used to it, we are sort of addicted to it! Safe riding!

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
You know,this bike, as stock as it is, is still "too nice" for a rider like me. I don't "deserve" such a nice ride.

I'm actually still blown away you can buy a used FZ6, that's THIS GOOD for less than half the MRSP of a new one. It's like...why would I spend more?

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
I sold it for like $300.00. I have zero mechanical skills and would have had to throw more good money after bad. The starter motor replacement on a SECA II is difficult because it's inside the engine.

I decided to stick with a low mileage, late model fuel injected bike. It came down to this or an SV650 and I'm glad I stuck with the FZ6.

$300.... I'm gonna cry now... love the Seca II styling.... all the used ones here are way overpriced..... might as well go newer than pay that much.
But , as maybe you can tell, I'm a sucker for older bikes :)

Funny, everyone who likes this type of bike seems to narrow down the the FZ and the SV
That's what's dominating my short list as well

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine had actually been street-fighter'd. No fairings, I installed a Trailtech Vapor digital speedo/tach (I still have it, took it off before selling), and it had a single round headlight. It looked pretty good, and it rode pretty well when it was working.

However, it doesn't hold a candle to the FZ6. The SECA could take as long as 5-8 minutes to warm up, often I'd start riding with the choke half out and then push it in once I was going.

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh, a lot of the old Yammi's were notoriously cold blooded, but mainly because they are set up lean from the factory, a bit of carb tuning, rich up the mixture, and that could be easily cured..
FJ's/Seca II's also a needle shim kit helped that issue a lot as well