Help! Where can I find an original height link for my lowered 2006 FZ6?

bentf2fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I just bought my first bike, a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. The person before me was over a foot shorter than me and had a lowering link put in as well as the forks lowered. I'm much taller so I thought I'd want to get the bike reverted to it's stock height. The only problem is, neither the previous owner nor the mechanic know where the original links are. He said the links are the same on a 2000-2006 model so that might help.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find original stock links to buy to put back in to my bike? Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I just bought my first bike, a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. The person before me was over a foot shorter than me and had a lowering link put in as well as the forks lowered. I'm much taller so I thought I'd want to get the bike reverted to it's stock height. The only problem is, neither the previous owner nor the mechanic know where the original links are. He said the links are the same on a 2000-2006 model so that might help.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find original stock links to buy to put back in to my bike? Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

If you look at the shock (or parts fisch), there is NO lowering links. There's NO suspension links at ALL.

The shock simply bolts to the swing-arm and frame.
( 2006 Yamaha FZ-6 (FZS6V) Rear Suspension | Babbitts Online )

Page 4-16, (S2 owners manual) shows how to adjust the pre-load to the rear shock. (Left side after removing the left side "pod") There should be a tool in the tool kit for adjusting it.

The fork tubes should be even with the top triple clamp...

If you need an owners manual as a PDF for an S2(same shock), PM me with an e-mail address...

Last edited:

bentf2fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

If you look at the shock (or parts fisch), there is NO lowering links. There's NO suspension links at ALL.

The shock simply bolts to the swing-arm and frame.
( 2006 Yamaha FZ-6 (FZS6V) Rear Suspension | Babbitts Online )

That would certainly explain why neither of them can find the missing links! Would the readjustment of the "pre-load" of the shock back to normal and heightening of the fork back to top of the thing be a job for a mechanic or just my neighbors and some tools?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can easily do it yourself, especially if you have a center stand. For the forks, put the bike on the center stand.

Jack up the front, I use a sizzor jack (and no it won't hurt anything) till the front end is off the ground. Loosen the pinch bolts slowly, the forks will drop down ward and back to stock. Go slow and gently tapping(sneaking up on the correct position) will be the easiest. **You SHOULD have a torque wrench for buttoning things up and an allan head socket for the wrench**

Re the rear shock, that setting pretty much firms up the shock. You shouldn't see a 1-3" up or down adjustment. I haven't seen a "shorter than stock rear shock" for the bike but I wouldn't rule it out. You may do a search on-line.

Are you sure he didn't modify the seat and trim a bunch of it down??

I'm 5'8, the height is fine for me(modified seat but NOT ,lowered or raised). I also have bar risers and set backs so I really don't do any leaning forward to speak of...

"Spencers", located in Florida; Page 1 does excellent work, (one day turn around). He can modify the seat to you liking. He just softened up mine, stock profile. Looks bone stock, much more comfy, again, highly recommended..

If you PM me, I can send you the owners manual if you don't already have it. The shock adjustment is in there..

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
There are companies that sell a shorter shock end that shortens the distance between the eyelet and the shock. They adversities them as a shock link instead of a suspension link.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple companies out there that made link that changed the position and raised the upper shock mount.. If thats the case, all you need to do is remove that link and bolt the shock back into the stock mounts.

Fz6r's are lowered in the same way. I just installed one in my fiancee's Fz6r.

For now, go measure the eye to eye distance of the rear shock you have now, this will tell us if you have a shortened shock. Then all you'll need to do is get a stock shock.

Follow TownsendFJR's instruction for raising the front end.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
fleebay and grab a whole shock or search here. Likely someone has a whole shock.

It should be this long....

Top: R1 coil over shock w/vertical reservoir 2001-2004// Bottom: FZ6
SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg

^^ Roughly Speaking the aluminum section with the bearing and cross shaft has an overall length of 2.5" Confirm yours is about that long. With the shock removed, the eye to eye measurement should be 300mm Stock!
Many of the lowering kits shorten it. Remember its NOT proportional to ride height. A 1/2" here is a lot to the tire at the other end.

Also - take picture of your bike while someone holds it upright please! Tks

Hint:
The spring retainer has to clear the swing arm under full compression.
IMG_20130329_142723_583WEB_zps9d0df3f2.jpg

Last edited: