Just bought a 05 Fz6; What to do?

Jsc561

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys i just purchased a 05 Fz6 what other maintenance should i do on it the bike has 9500 miles...I have changed the spark plugs and have done a oil change what else should i do

tonepaq

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys i just purchased a 05 Fz6 what other maintenance should i do on it the bike has 9500 miles...I have changed the spark plugs and have done a oil change what else should i do

Ha, I just bought an 05 two days ago. Mine has similar miles and I plan on checking the air filter and possibly dropping in a K&N replacement. Also I will grease and oil all moving components such as levers and the like.

TheFriskyBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
A good clean is always the best start so you can see what your dealing with, then as you already have done sparks oil and chain dont forget to clean the chain too! then check tire pressures and the general condition of them, make sure all the lights and signals are working bit of grease or wd40 on any moving bits like the centre and side stand. I personally would also take off the fairings and clean them and behind them, autosol the downpipes and the exhaust pipe, if you want you could wax the bike, cant think of anything else off the top of my head, hope you enjoy the bike! Remember look after the bike and she'll look after you!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you did the required maintenance now it is time to get some riding in!!

you could also flush and fill the coolant and flush out the brake fluid but i wouldn't call it urgent

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All the above, plus get some lube on the moving parts to the shifter linkages. See another thread on this site on the topic from kennedyted that's titled "shifter sticks on downshift." Had this problem one evening and was terrified that I was facing a $1000 bil for transmission repairs, till I saw this post.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Why does everyone change the plugs so often????
they are like $9 each. I changed mine at 26k just because I was doing the valve maintenance...

The only thing that actually warrants checking is that the TPS recall has been done on it.
I am sure someone can post the recall link so you can get details........

It is a SOLID bike, she will do 150 on the highway all day long or take on dirt trails in the mountains, someone here has actually forded a creek with it before......

Enjoy it!!!

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd stay away from WD40 as it is a temporary fix for a lot of of lubrication issues. Dousing the linkages in WD40 will get you out of a binding situation temporary but a good tear down and regrease will get you back up and running better than before. Just dealt with this issue on my 05. The pictured bolt was the center of the shifting sticking issue and depending on how much you wash your bike the stock grease can deteriorate pretty quickly. I had to do this maintenance at 11k.

Also, I keep a Google Drive account with my service manual, diagrams, and maintenance records. From lubing the chain to tire changes and spark plugs I record everything. Great for personal reference and to aid in the process of selling it in the future.

Jsc561

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd stay away from WD40 as it is a temporary fix for a lot of of lubrication issues. Dousing the linkages in WD40 will get you out of a binding situation temporary but a good tear down and regrease will get you back up and running better than before. Just dealt with this issue on my 05. The pictured bolt was the center of the shifting sticking issue and depending on how much you wash your bike the stock grease can deteriorate pretty quickly. I had to do this maintenance at 11k.

Also, I keep a Google Drive account with my service manual, diagrams, and maintenance records. From lubing the chain to tire changes and spark plugs I record everything. Great for personal reference and to aid in the process of selling it in the future.

The bad thing with this for me is im not yet comfortable with taking anything really off the bike, bikes just came into my life less then 3 months ago

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
The bad thing with this for me is im not yet comfortable with taking anything really off the bike, bikes just came into my life less then 3 months ago

Find a service manual. It is very easy. Order you take everything off it goes backs on. Also locktite.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Find a service manual. It is very easy. Order you take everything off it goes backs on. Also locktite.

+1

The more you do it the easier it gets and the more comfortable you will be with tackling bigger jobs!

Personally i would also change the coolant and the brake fluid...
My 2009 only had 6000 miles and they were both in serious need of changing.

I would also recommend you set your rear sag to your weight, really helps handling a lot.
I weight 180 lb and get around 30mm of sag on setting 5.

Last edited:

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
+1

The more you do it the easier it gets and the more comfortable you will be with tackling bigger jobs!

Personally i would also change the coolant and the brake fluid...
My 2009 only had 6000 miles and they were both in serious need of changing.

I would also recommend you set your rear sag to your weight, really helps handling a lot.
I weight 180 lb and get around 30mm of sag on setting 5.

I need to do brakes still but recently did coolant. I live in texas. 10k miles and what came out was brown. Glad it wasn't sludgy. Flushed three times and happy green now.

Harbor freight has a cheap liquid pump so you don't have to remove the tank for the job. My brake bleeder is in bad shape so I'll need a new one before I do the bike.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to do brakes still but recently did coolant. I live in texas. 10k miles and what came out was brown. Glad it wasn't sludgy. Flushed three times and happy green now.

Harbor freight has a cheap liquid pump so you don't have to remove the tank for the job. My brake bleeder is in bad shape so I'll need a new one before I do the bike.

You don't really need a pump, a bit of hose is all you need.
Same for brake bleeding... All you need is a see through hose the correct diameter and a glass!