here she is this is going to be my starter bike and man do i want one bad

kawasaki%20klx250.jpg

2009-KawasakiKLX250Sc.jpg

thoughts, ideas, opinions

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
You know what?

It's not bad. I like the 70 MPG and the liquid cooling. It's got a tall clearance, so you might be able to go off-roading every once in a while.

It might even go over 75 MPH! That would be nice.

My only beef with bikes like these are the spoked wheels. Every now and again, you need to check each individual spoke to make sure they're tight. They will most likely require inner-tubes as wheel.

On the plus side, tires for this thing would be cheap!! Spoked tires are lighter too, making this thing only weigh...ohh...say...250 lbs? That's almost HALF the weight of an FZ6!

It will be SO EASY to maintain too. One cylinder!! Four valves!! You might be able to pick that engine up with one hand!!

The price is a little demanding for an engine of that size, but extra value from a bigger engine usually leads to more upkeep.

Good choice.

-WARNING-
Those "knobby" tires won't be good in the rain.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great starter bike if you're completely new to motorcycles but you could buy something similar used and skip losing out on all the depreciation.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I read a professional rider's essay saying that all people new to motorcycling should learn on dirtbikes. You get the chance to know how the bike feels when you are approaching the limits of traction, but you can do it at low speeds. If you start to know the limits of traction on an FZ6, you'll probably be thinking about it in ER.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read a professional rider's essay saying that all people new to motorcycling should learn on dirtbikes. You get the chance to know how the bike feels when you are approaching the limits of traction, but you can do it at low speeds. If you start to know the limits of traction on an FZ6, you'll probably be thinking about it in ER.

Hmmm. I am not saying you are wrong or right. I am a newbie but my co-workers, and I mean all of them that has bike experienced in 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and street bikes told me just the opposite. They told me to not try to learn on a dirt bike(6). They said I would end up killed for sure on the dirt bike because of the power band especially on a two stroke. I may not be saying this right so forgive me if I am not. They told me to find a bike around a 600 that has a comfortable non-aggresive riding style. Thats were the FZ6 came into play. I love it. You know they also gave me the expected advice also to know get to confident once I do get the bike and to ride conservative. Feel free to respond back I am interested to hear what you guys think.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if there is a definative way to learn. Dirt vs. street? Dirt has advantages. But it also has disadvantages, such as how we place our weight when riding dirt and sticking our foot out. If you get into riding dirt hard, a lot of those habits will have to be un-learned when riding a street bike.
But, with this bike, the advantage I see is that it is street legal and small. The size will be an advantage for a new rider.

And it looks waaaay cooler than a 250 Rebel!

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
the first bike ive ever drove was a 50cc honda that was 1 month ago and right after that a 80cc honda lol there both way tiny
i could barely turn

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
im looking forward to being able to flat foot every bike im ever on i can flat foot
by bros SV and his DRZ400 so i shouldnt have a problem with that

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Dissagree with Hollow 100%, his coworkers are giving him bad advice. This is a four stroke machine. Street riding is far more dangerous than riding on the dirt.
This is a great choice for a starter bike. Everyone should start in the dirt. Great place to learn balance, braking and clutch skills. Ride on the dirt as much as you can.
As I once read in Cycle World "the best way to improve you street skills to ride a dirt bike often"
I've seen guys on 250's with knobbies out corner bigger street bikes due to skill and the lightweight bike.
Just ride within your skills. Get good gear-helmet,boots, jacket ,glovesand pants. You are worth it. Ride often and have a ball!

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks way cooler than what I started out on. :thumbup:

I started out earlier this year on a XT250 that I bought new.
08xt250_wht_3_6f0f0619.jpg

It's very similar to the ones used in the DOT training course.

Air cooled, no Fuel injection, top speed only about 70 mph, But still fun to ride. Gear shifting was much less touchy compared to the FZ6.

I never took it off road and I didn't like the way it looked anyway :Flip:

Just remember to take your time and you won't have any problems.

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is how i think people should learn. Spend a few years on a cheaper dirtbike or something like that until you are totally comfortable with the idea. This helps a lot because then riding becomes second nature to you(but DONT get careless) your reaction are better than just starting new. Remember though you will be RIDING in TRAFFIC they DO NOT watch for you so becareful and enjoy the new bike!! Welcome to the riding world.:thumbup: