Itching for an FZ-1

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love the FZ-6, I am craving an FZ-1. Unfortunately, we are looking at buying a house and therefore all purchases are on hold.

Paying bills suck. I want a new motorcycle but even after getting the house, my motorcycle wish may not come true. We live in Northern Virginia and the houses are sooooooo darn expensive. Trying to satisfy the wife, get her the house she can thoroughly enjoy and call her own.

SACRIFICE the FZ-1 for the wife's wishes. I guess some things are just too painful.

Everyone, wish me luck. Not only in getting the right house but also being able to get an FZ-1.

That saying, Happy Wife, Happy Life, is most definitely true and driving my decision making. A husbands job is never complete.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, looking for an FZ1 but what's up with this post? Respect the Throttle?
FWIW: during the purchase of our first house, I lost a bike as cash was short. So it could be worse!

Ok Family,
Spring is here and it's time to RIDE.
For all you new riders new to the FZ6, RESPECT THE THROTTLE!! This holds true for any motorcycle you get but believe me, this may be a 600cc bike but it has plenty of power to get even seasoned riders in a bit of trouble.

Everyone, lets have a safe and accident free riding season. I enjoy riding about everyone's riding experiences but it pains me to hear the bad news of accidents, injuries, and things even worse.

SO. BE SAFE, BE DEFENSIVE, RESPECT THE THROTTLE, AND BY ALL MEANS, RIDE AND HAVE FUN!!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
So, looking for an FZ1 but what's up with this post? Respect the Throttle?

FWIW: during the purchase of our first house, I lost a bike as cash was short. So it could be worse!

It is a bit strange. He seems to think 600cc bikes are not very powerful. He seems to be totally unfamiliar with the R6 and its ~130 hp.

This space intentionally left blank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some new riders tend to over throttle. The post is just a reminder to ease into the season. I see the point did not get across.

Oh it did and its a valid point/post - my observation was simply a matter of timing I suspect. One post saying "be wise (any machine)" backed with another wanting more power! :eek: :D:D

I've ridden bigger bikes and $$ per $$ the little FZ is very flickable and I enjoy this. Although modern bikes are getting lighter and more powerful with less displacement so that's appealing too!

Enjoy the new place!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
No. I'm saying that some people DO NOT respect the power of our FZ6.

While that is true, I still say his wording made it seem as if 600cc bikes were not considered by most to be very powerful. I don't think that is the case at all. I think it just as poor technique, that could get hurt on an R3.

This space intentionally left blank.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people consider 600's as being powerful, some do not. It really depends on who you talk to, what they ride, and how long they have been riding. Ask someone that's been riding an 1100 and see what they say about a 600.

I've heard people go as far to say 600's are starter bikes while others say no. It just all depends on the source.

I'm pretty sure your interpretation of the thread is the same as others while many others did not get that impression.

So, to avoid confusion: I feel that the FZ-6 is a powerful motorcycle and those new to riding should be aware of this fact. I also agree that any motorcycle can present problems to any inexperienced rider, whether it's a 250 or an 1100.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just FYI.. about 3.5 years ago I sold my mostly mint 2007 FZ6 for $3500 with I think 11k miles on it (it was converted to streetfighter.. which forced me to sell it for a bit less) and picked up a mint 07 FZ1 with 8.5k miles on it for 5k.

We're not exactly talking about a major expenditure here. Obviously get the house 1st. But after that.. what's another ~2k?

Good luck!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Culpeper, VA. Do you work in Woodbridge? You can still get a nice single family home 4br, 3bath 2,500 sq ft or so for $200,000 in my area. Woodbridge is an hour ride. Prices in Prince William county aren't terribly higher though. Not sure how old you are but when I was first interested in owning my own home it was 2006 and back then you couldn't buy a townhouse for under $300,000. I bought my house (3br, 2bath, 2,300 sq ft on 1.8 acres and no HOA) for $153K as a foreclosure back in 2011. My mortgage is less than I could rent for. It is still the time to buy but the market is rebounding!

Reaction score
Visit site
A lightweight 600cc bike is a good choice for a starter, whether they had time on a 125cc geared bike or are just going straight into big bike world. I went from a 125 to a litre bike and I wouldn't recommend that, but 125 to 600 works out fine as long as it's not a supersports. IMO. Too handy with the throttle? Just short shift and stay in higher gears to lower the acceleration when the revs are lower. I'm still adjusting to the 77bhp of my XJ-6 versus the 98bhp of the FZ6 so I'm usually a gear above where I'll be for the same roads in some months time. It's all about going at your own pace and pushing gently beyond your limits rather than going far beyond them too fast - literally - and sending yourself and your nice shiny bike down the road.

Last edited: