Issues with a 2007 instrument cluster on my 2006 fz6

epim

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a 2007 fz6 instrument cluster on my 06, and for the most part it works fine. However whenever I shut the bike off the time and trip information is reset. As if i'd disconnected the battery.

The bike hit the ground at 70+ after being tagged by a drunk last june. So she went through a helluva ride. I've basically rebuilt her from the frame up. So there's a good chance something somewhere in the electrical system got smashed, wrenched, twisted, or otherwise. Though everything /looks/ ok.

I installed the 07 wiring harness, fairing stay, instrument cluster, etc. Can anyone think of anything i've missed that would cause this?

Thanks in advance!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at the schematic and haven't figured out where you will have constant battery signal to the cluster unless it's from the ECU. With everything turned off you should be able to find a constant voltage to the cluster. This is where the clock resides. Unless the clock and odo data remain in the ecu and is passed to the readout from the ECU when the key is turned on.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at the schematic and haven't figured out where you will have constant battery signal to the cluster unless it's from the ECU. With everything turned off you should be able to find a constant voltage to the cluster. This is where the clock resides. Unless the clock and odo data remain in the ecu and is passed to the readout from the ECU when the key is turned on.....

Pretty Good Thinking there. . . and agree, there is likely trickle back to the cluster to keep it alive. There is a fuse dedicated to that circuit item #4 BACK UP FUSE. . . Later in life it turns to a Red wire/Green trace on Circuit A. Hint Look on the left side of item #36 and find it where it connects to the back up fuse. It should be alive with 12v key off.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty Good Thinking there. . . and agree, there is likely trickle back to the cluster to keep it alive. There is a fuse dedicated to that circuit item #4 BACK UP FUSE. . . Later in life it turns to a Red wire/Green trace on Circuit A. Hint Look on the left side of item #36 and find it where it connects to the back up fuse. It should be alive with 12v key off.

Good Call! :rockon:
Yes! That's it! I was looking at it tired and didn't follow it back to the #6 main fuse and to constant B+ from the battery...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:spank: haha!

At first I was wondering if they put a battery in the cluster and then went looking for it.

Good Call! :rockon:
Yes! That's it! I was looking at it tired and didn't follow it back to the #6 main fuse and to constant B+ from the battery...

Either way we all learned something and You got me to Print the papers and look them over! :thumbup: I needed to do that and scribble all over them so they make sense. You never know when you might need this stuff so having it on hand is worth every penny it took to get it here!

So Thanks!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Luck Epim,

Now if someone could translate the weird language you were all talking?

Nelly

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And we all thought fuses were over rated! haha!

/Case Closed!
/Problem Solved. . . . :thumbup:

Glad that worked out for ya!