2007 gauge cluster on a 2006

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but here goes.

Can you put a 2007 style gauge cluster on a 2006 FZ6?

The only reason I would consider this is that the analog tach is so much easier to read.

Cheers.

Marc

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can. Easier if you buy the short wiring harness that goes with it, as you need the multi pin plug to fit, (same as r6 or fz1 but with different wiring) so you don't have to sort it yourself, the fz6 has a different system than most using the neutral indicator wire to send a squawk to the board in the gauge to decipher for rpm, making it hard to use other types if you want all the features.
saw a 2009 gauge on ebay U.S. recently that was mint & sold for $105.

Good luck.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but here goes.

Can you put a 2007 style gauge cluster on a 2006 FZ6?

The only reason I would consider this is that the analog tach is so much easier to read.

Cheers.

Marc

You can and others have done it, however, the plugs are different on the back so you'd have to one by one move each wire from the 2006 wire harness to the 2007 wire harness in the right order. Additionally, since the gauge cluster is a different shape, the plastics are different as well. Unless you are planning to go naked, this could get costly.

Do a search, you'll find some others who have delved into this.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, this is still one of those mods that I'd like to tackle sometime. After going naked last winter, it would be so much easier without the fairing in the way, too.

I might have to start doing research again and see just how difficult this might be. I've physically held the '07+ gauge cluster (I was going to make a mounting bracket for another member that went naked), so I know it has the single harness/plug on the back whereas the '04-'06 (like mine) have the two plugs. If I understand correctly, if one were able to get the wiring harness that runs from the frame to the headlight/turn signals/gauge cluster from a '07+, it would fit with the wiring that comes out of the frame on the '04-'06? In other words, the connections at the frame are the same? Or would you still have to do some modding to the wiring?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have stood and shook my head over this one many a time, Ozzieboy and myself even stood there next to both my bikes, with the tanks off, gauges exposed, etc, etc,trying to work out how to swap the Instruments!!! Yes i have both an 06 and an 07+ FZ6, so have both types of gauges!

If someone can come up with the definitive "how to" for dummies like myself, which i dont think has ever been done??? on here at least, that is...and post it in here, i am sure there will be many grateful people.!

:thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon...I know a few of you guys have done the swap from '04-'06 gauges to '07+ ones! Pull your weight around here and post up a "How-to" for the people wondering in this thread! :spank:

As stated above, all I really need to know is if the wiring harness from the '07+ will attach to the bike at the frame end with no modifications?

Help us out...please?

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 and when I went naked I swapped out with an 07 gauge. It was actually really easy but the way I did it was time consuming. What I did was buy the wiring harness of an 07 speedo set up and the two harnesses that plug into the bike work without modification and the other end obviously works with the speedo considering that it's made for it lol. However, the wiring harness that goes to the stock headlight set up has two bulb plug-ins and I had a hi-low bulb only. I can go into more detail for anyone who is interested in that process but to answer everyone's question, YES it's essentially very easy to do the swap. If you don't need to shorten the harness for a naked headlight conversion it's essentially plug and play. Just need the matching harness for the 07 speedo.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
THANK YOU, mrtrees! That's the exact information I was looking for. My FZ6 is naked with the Buell headlight, so I would have to do some modifications to the headlight end of the wiring harness anyway, but what I really needed to know was whether the harness was the same on the bike end of things. You answered that for me perfectly. :thumbup:

Now...and I could do some searching and try and find the answer myself, but it's late and I'm tired and someone might just know...lol. Does anyone know if the gauges from the R1, R6, or FZ1 are the same as the FZ6 '07+? I'm almost certain they look nearly the same (at least some of the years of those bikes), so I'm figuring the wiring setup on the back of the gauges would be the same as well.

I'm thinking if they are, in fact, the same, then it would broaden the search parameters in finding a good set of used gauges. Might make it easier (and cheaper) in the long run. The wiring harness itself won't be that hard to find. But the gauges, on the cheap, might be a different story.

Thanks again, mrtrees!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would love to see some pictures....of where it all connects up....i have had my FZ's apart about a billion times, and i cant work it out...frustrating as hell!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
THANK YOU, mrtrees! That's the exact information I was looking for. My FZ6 is naked with the Buell headlight, so I would have to do some modifications to the headlight end of the wiring harness anyway, but what I really needed to know was whether the harness was the same on the bike end of things. You answered that for me perfectly. :thumbup:

Now...and I could do some searching and try and find the answer myself, but it's late and I'm tired and someone might just know...lol. Does anyone know if the gauges from the R1, R6, or FZ1 are the same as the FZ6 '07+? I'm almost certain they look nearly the same (at least some of the years of those bikes), so I'm figuring the wiring setup on the back of the gauges would be the same as well.

I'm thinking if they are, in fact, the same, then it would broaden the search parameters in finding a good set of used gauges. Might make it easier (and cheaper) in the long run. The wiring harness itself won't be that hard to find. But the gauges, on the cheap, might be a different story.

Thanks again, mrtrees!

I don't know about the R6 or the older R1, but I have a friend who has an 08 FZ1, and it's the same shape, but I can tell you that the tach had different values and a different redline. I don't know if the connector is the same on the back, but the display is slightly different than my 08 FZ6.

I can tell you, however, that the 09 R1 definitely has a different set of guages altogether. One of my friends at work just bought one and it's completely different than my guages. Awesome bike, but wouldn't fit my riding style.

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a look at my album you will see I have had a r6 cluster on mine, & I had do do some awkward electrical work to get everything running, & you have to disable the fuel light with a resistor & the pulse arrangement made to convert batch fire to sequential fire for the tacho is hard to explain. It worked fine but you end up with no fuel gauge,(r6 & r1 just have a low light) & every 100km the ECU completes a diagnostic check on the system & decides the speedo/tacho is not the right one & throws up an error code. so you stop & unplug it & plug it back in, change mph back to kph & of you go for another 100km!! to much hassle. The fz1 gauges are apparently the same & work but the red-line is 12000 instead of 14000. I had all the info somewhere on the 05 to 07 swap & I will see if I can dig it out as I had done it first to see if the r6 gauge was plug & play as they have the same plug , as mrtrees says its straightforward.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would love to see some pictures....of where it all connects up....i have had my FZ's apart about a billion times, and i cant work it out...frustrating as hell!

You bet! I'm installing new exhaust next week sometime. If I get the chance I'll pull off the headlight and see if I cant get some pictures for ya. Most of it is securely electrical taped together but I'll try to capture the general "ins and outs" of the wiring setup. Otherwise I'll be pulling it off the give it a good clean up and inspection before she gets hooked up to the trickle charger for the winter months. Either way I'll get some pictures eventually. I should have taken pictures while I was hacking and splicing the harness for the single headlight installation but I straight up forgot. haha. Anyways I'll deliver, keep your eyes open :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You bet! I'm installing new exhaust next week sometime. If I get the chance I'll pull off the headlight and see if I cant get some pictures for ya. Most of it is securely electrical taped together but I'll try to capture the general "ins and outs" of the wiring setup. Otherwise I'll be pulling it off the give it a good clean up and inspection before she gets hooked up to the trickle charger for the winter months. Either way I'll get some pictures eventually. I should have taken pictures while I was hacking and splicing the harness for the single headlight installation but I straight up forgot. haha. Anyways I'll deliver, keep your eyes open :thumbup:

Obviously i know the FZ6 pretty well, but i just wanna see where, and how it all plugs together under the tank, etc...

Looking forward to the photo's like you cant believe!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Any good write ups on this yet? I want to do this, but I am hesitant to tackle it without a step by step write up.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems simple enough to pull up the two different schematics, print them and compare them.

They make Pin extractors just for removing the pins from the connectors without damaging them.

So you print and blow up a drawing of the current state with wire colors as is.
Print and draw up a future state of what needs to go where keeping in mind that you need Functions Not necessarily wire colors.

With the drawings, digital pictures, the right tool, you extract the wires from the connector, and insert them into the new connector.

Keeping in mind you might need to jumper wires, terminate unused wires, add wires to the mix that may not exist. And as pointed out the fact that full functionality may not be obtainable from certain combinations.

I have access to digital oscilloscopes and have a couple different multimeters for diagnostic work. In this case we could look at what type of signal is being sent to the pod and see if something could be made to mimic the required signal. The trick is knowing what is required!

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
bought the 07 guage and short harness, not sure what I did wrong cause it didn't act like right when I plugged it in. The hazard light was on and when I turned the blinkers on the high beam light blinked. the speedometer or anything on the left lcd didn't come up. starting to think I may have spent money on a broken gauge but don't know how to check if it works or not. also there is only one headlight plug on this harness. anyone have any advice??

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like that harness has already been modified and maybe done incorrectly? It'll need to be rewired if that's the case

Also if anyone still needs pictures on this I'll be ripping the headlight apart this weekend to put in the new speedo mount that was custom made by one of our very own (thanks LeaN69!!!). I apologize for it being SOOOOO delayed. Got hammered by classes shortly after I originally posted and completely forgot about the whole thing until I stumbled across this thread again today (somehow). Let me know otherwise I'll assuming it's been taken care of lol.

Last edited: