Is your FZ6 Perfect?

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
was "comparing bikes performance" with another friend, he miss-shifted, i tried to swerve and grabbed too much brake, the combination made me high/low side. not sure which cause it was super fast.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Not perfect but nothing serious - the previous owner reportedly laid it over gently in a parking garage - minor scuff on the underside of the engine cover, bar end and clutch lever. I was happy with that since it was my first bike and wanted to look good which it does but didn't want the stress of havig a perfect bike when I put it down - which I did at zero mph in a parking lot. One of the those stupid things for us height limited people where the pavement was a few inches lower on the right side and I got far enough over before I got ground it was too late to stop. The good news is I have frame sliders on and also had the saddlebags on so I ended up with a minor scuff on the slider and a little scracth on the mirror plastic. Hopefully that'll be it for me.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have damaged the tendons in both wrists saving my bike from it's attempts to fall at little or no speed in both directions on two separate occassions.

Unfortunately they seem to be taking an extremely long time to heal.

Guess that's what happens when you're not as young as shaggystyle anymore.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have damaged the tendons in both wrists saving my bike from it's attempts to fall at little or no speed in both directions on two separate occassions.

Unfortunately they seem to be taking an extremely long time to heal.

Guess that's what happens when you're not as young as shaggystyle anymore.
Mate you deserve a medal for above and beyond the call of duty. Tendons are notoriously bad at healing. For every week you lose mobility and function. You require three weeks for rest and repair (generally speaking). This is due to loss of motor function and possible muscle waste. (Right work hat off now) I wish you a speedy recovery, especially your right wrist.Neil

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, it's taking much longer to recover than the doctor told me it would. I have the use of both, but can put no real pressure or effort with them. The worst part is twisting. When I rotate my hands, that seems to have the least desirable sensation.

I am sure riding doesn't help the recovery (especially the 300+ miles last Saturday), but I can't stay off the bike, so there it is.

:Sport:

rodb

junior, well, hardly ...
Reaction score
Visit site
new owner of 2006 fz6 - within a couple of days, managed to first drop the bike attempting to park on a sidewalk at work, then dropped it while zooming out of my back yard along a 12" ramp, and hitting the brakes before turning downhill to avoid climbing into my neighbour's back yard - don'[t try either any more, and have saved the fairing pieces until i learn how to drive! magic glue will resolve all problems ...

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
i lost about 45 degrees of motion in my right wrist

got a metal plate thats going to stay there forever

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
new owner of 2006 fz6 - within a couple of days, managed to first drop the bike attempting to park on a sidewalk at work, then dropped it while zooming out of my back yard along a 12" ramp, and hitting the brakes before turning downhill to avoid climbing into my neighbour's back yard - don'[t try either any more, and have saved the fairing pieces until i learn how to drive! magic glue will resolve all problems ...
well at least you still able to throw your leg over and give it another go.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i lost about 45 degrees of motion in my right wrist

got a metal plate thats going to stay there forever
In your case mate, Time is a great healer. I have limited flexion in my left ankle. Gear up is no problem, gear down is sorted now to. I had my accident in 1998.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, it's taking much longer to recover than the doctor told me it would. I have the use of both, but can put no real pressure or effort with them. The worst part is twisting. When I rotate my hands, that seems to have the least desirable sensation.

I am sure riding doesn't help the recovery (especially the 300+ miles last Saturday), but I can't stay off the bike, so there it is.

:Sport:
Unfortunatley medicine is not an exact science. The doc's can only go on the average time it take to heal. Were all different, there are to may variables. The main thing is that you getting there.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Orderd frame sliders Tuesday, dropped bike Wednesday, frame sliders arrived Thursday. Upper fairing scratched replacement cost $42, clutch lever bent replacement $31, engine scratched paint $30. If i only would have waited 1 day. :Im With Stupid:

Will frame sliders protect the bike much when dropped? Frame sliders, aren't those the small black knobs you put on the side of the bike? I know, I'm a noob! I had huge Baron engine guards on the Vstar I owned. I assume frame sliders sorta protect the bike the same way.

W

wrightme43

They do a good job in lowsides and drops. Nothing helps highsides, and impacts with cars, trucks, or immovable objects.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is getting back to 'Perfect' after a low speed drop. Replaced the scuffed engine cases last week. Added frame sliders at the same time.

Last night I stripped the front cowling off & repaired the front offside indicator. When I dropped it, the indicator punched through its mounting on the fairing, so has been working but dangling for the last few weeks. Got some gap filling 'superglue' with a micro applicator from a model shop & re-fixed the mounting pod back on to the inside of the cowling.

It looks like new again now it's re-assembled. I could have bought the replacement plastic part for about £50, but the mechanic at the local dealership suggested the superglue route. I though 3 quid for a tube of glue was worth a punt.

Apparently, it's a very common result of low speed drops to pop the idicator out. Damn, I should have taken some photos of the sequence:banghead:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
They do a good job in lowsides and drops. Nothing helps highsides, and impacts with cars, trucks, or immovable objects.

Ok, I will get some and put them on. Then I will try to avoid highsides and impacts with cars, trucks, and immovable objects. And where I live I will have to include avoiding cows, horses, large dogs, deer, and assorted wild critters in the road. I was following my mother the other day (she was in a car) and watched a large turkey vulture barf its meal all over the top of her car as it was trying to fly from the side of the road. I hope, while riding a cycle, I never get barfed on by such a large bird after eating dead animals. I have a strong stomach, but that was pretty gross!!:eek:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
word to the wise

if you are on your bike, and its going over, think about it like this. As your 400 and some lbs of bike is dropping it is increaseing in momentum. As it tips and accelerates to the gravitational forces it is physically impossible to stop it from going down. The only way is if its just begining to drop and it has not went too far over. I commend you on trying to save your bike some scratches, however I must say it was most unwise, as you have limited use of your hand and tendons are very very hard to heal right.
I say, if its going down and its too late, get the heck out of its way and dont get slammed on your foot or something. Unless you can bench 800 lbs and have really good leverage =)~

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I broke one of the front turn signal mountings when I dropped my bike while practicing low speed U turns. It has two mounting screws that go into the plastic fairing. I fixed it with zip ties. I would like to do a better fix some day. I'm impressed by those that fixed plastic cracks. Can anyone elaborate on how to do it?

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of suggestions, and thats all they are because I'm 1 week into ownership of the FZ6. I have owned an 03 and now an 07 FJR1300.

An English distributor Bike Johnny Kent UK - Motorcycle Racing Accessories, Parts and Body Armour does carbon fiber engine covers for alot of bikes. I haven't checked on the FZ6 but I had it on the 03 FJR. It was sweeet looking.

I'm also going to look into flush mounted front turn signals. That may keep the damage to a minimum on a tip over. I can see how the stalks would act like a center punch.

I just installed some motovation sliders yesterday. This is the first thing I do to any new bike. Even before I ride it.

Glenn

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mines a 04 6000km, right from new the paint started bubbling at the right ankle scuff took it back to dealer and they said i had scratcked it with bad shoes. I pointed out the riding oots i had on was all i rode in, they said no!!. thers some light scratchs on the tank from lying down but the tank guard has taken most of it, and i just found a inch scratch in the front mud guard. pretty lucky so far, my biggest thing was putting a hole in the rear tyre at 1500km, a bottle of green slime and that was fixed.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are on your bike, and its going over, think about it like this. As your 400 and some lbs of bike is dropping it is increaseing in momentum. As it tips and accelerates to the gravitational forces it is physically impossible to stop it from going down. The only way is if its just begining to drop and it has not went too far over. I commend you on trying to save your bike some scratches, however I must say it was most unwise, as you have limited use of your hand and tendons are very very hard to heal right.
I say, if its going down and its too late, get the heck out of its way and dont get slammed on your foot or something. Unless you can bench 800 lbs and have really good leverage =)~
Wise words, I no longer have a minter. Dropped my in the garage and carried out my first tank mod. see hall of shame.