Is The FZ6 That Powerful?

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
No sarcasm intended. I purchased my FZ6 three years ago while I was in my MSF class. With the exception of the 6 or so hours I spent on the MSF bike (I seem to recall it was a Suzuki 250) the FZ6 is the only bike I've ever operated).

I'm reading all these posts about not starting with with a 600cc bike because of the power, but I've never found the FZ6 to be that intimidating (I'm sure I don't push it to it's limits - nor would I if I had the skills). My plan was to keep the FZ6 for a few years then migrate to the touring bike I would keep for some time (most likely a second hand R100RT, ST1300 or perhaps the FJR). Now, I'm kicking myself for not springing for the bigger bike up front as I'm having a hard time working it into the family budget (gotta admit, it's a totally selfish, unnecessary purchase).

My question, am I really going to be disappointed when I finally get the touring bike. Is the FZ really that quick?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a reason why starter bikes are in the 250 cc class. While an FZ6 isn't necessarily a sport bike, it's engine is derived from one (older generation R6).

Some folks have been able to start out on a 600 cc class bike and learn their skills before getting themselves hurt or killed. Others however have not been so lucky.

To answer your question, the FZ6 is perfectly capable of being too much bike for an inexperienced rider. Twist the throttle past 8,000 rpms and the bike goes from mild to wild in a hurry. Twist a little more and the scenery begins to blur as the front wheel lifts off the ground. It's at this point that a new rider gets themselves into trouble when they chop the throttle or brake abruptly. This is the reason why I started small and worked up to an FZ6, which is actually my third motorcycle. The first two were under 250 cc's and allowed me to more safely hone my skills. Your mileage may vary however.

Last edited:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say whether or not you would miss the FZ6 if you got a larger sport touring bike. I've owned a few BMW's, a K100RT, a K75T, and a R1100RS and I can that without a doubt that I prefer the FZ6. I really like the light weight, handling, comfort, and the power of the FZ6. It's not hard to turn the FZ6 into a darn comfortable sport tourer: lowered foot pegs, FZ1 handlebars with risers, MadStad brackets and touring shield, heated grips, throttle lock, and modified seat.

The larger bikes have a lot more torque but the FZ6 has all the power you need if you're willing to rev it up a bit.

I'm not the least bit interested in a big heavy sport touring bike.

To each his own.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say whether or not you would miss the FZ6 if you got a larger sport touring bike. I've owned a few BMW's, a K100RT, a K75T, and a R1100RS and I can that without a doubt that I prefer the FZ6. I really like the light weight, handling, comfort, and the power of the FZ6. It's not hard to turn the FZ6 into a darn comfortable sport tourer: lowered foot pegs, FZ1 handlebars with risers, MadStad brackets and touring shield, heated grips, throttle lock, and modified seat.

The larger bikes have a lot more torque but the FZ6 has all the power you need if you're willing to rev it up a bit.

I'm not the least bit interested in a big heavy sport touring bike.

To each his own.

Thanks Willard, this it the type of feedback for which I was fishing. I'm thinking about keeping the FZ now (I'm doing the seat this year - still searching for the right screen [you may have seen some of my other posts], and would be interested in learning about some other recommended touring mods). I do spend most of my time on the freeway, so fast acceleration isn't an issue for me - though it's nice to have it when it's needed!

My whole concern with the FZ6 to the bigger bike is, "am I going from a Corvette to an Escalade" - be this the case, I would not swap.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I find the FZ6 to be a great balance in power for a bike. It is very mellow when ridden in the low RPM's but can scream when you open it up. It is light and handles very well for the suspension that it has.

I also ride a R1150RT as my touring bike and do not think you would be disjointed. While the RT is a lot heavier it still gets up and goes very well and has shamed a lot of sport bikes in the canyons. It required a little heavier input on the bars to crank it over but is a very stable and good handling bike in its own right.

I love them each for what they offer.

I have also owned an FJR and it was a great bike. Lots of power. The only gripe I had about the FJR was that the front end would start to push when ridden with vigor.

Marc

Last edited:

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with champion221elite. it is always good idea to start on 250 cc or lower. Thats the advice i would give to any newbie. whether he is 18 yr old kid or 48 yr old.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My question, am I really going to be disappointed when I finally get the touring bike. Is the FZ really that quick?

Yes and no. The FZ6 as stated can be quite well behaved below 8k rpm but above that it does well for a 600.
I have a FJR with 73,000 mile I put on riding all over the west. I bought the FZ6 to have fun riding the tight mountain roads where I live as the light nimble 6 is easier to play with on these roads.
It was wise as a new rider not to start out with a 1300 but as time goes by and your skills improve you may want to step up to a bigger bike for touring. Yes it CAN be done on a FZ6 but I would not want to.
The Sport Touring bike just adds so much more comfort for long back to back 500 mile days. Much of this comes from more body work which offers up better wind and rain protection ( I really love my electric adjustable on the fly windscreen), the hard bags, shaft drive (yeah baby no chain to mess with!) the smooth power is awesome. I have upgraded the suspension on the FJR and she handles quite well for a 650 # bike and sometimes when riding across the open desert with a strong cross wind it's nice to have some weight to keep you planted to the road.
So I would say you did well to start with the 6 and if you can- keep it. Just start a ST fund now and before you know it you can pick up a used FJR (all others are crap:Flash:) for less than you think. There is nothing wrong with finding a well cared for FJR with well over 50 - 100,000 miles. If you own both you can have your cake and eat it too!

amanlisman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never found the FZ6 to be that intimidating (I'm sure I don't push it to it's limits - nor would I if I had the skills). My plan was to keep the FZ6 for a few years then migrate to the touring bike I would keep for some time (most likely a second hand R100RT, ST1300 or perhaps the FJR).

The sort of reflection I continue to have occasionally. I tried a BMW '94 K75rt last September with a view to buying it and thinking that it would be a much better tourer / utility bike. What a step back into the past! Nice and comfortable and lovely wind protection but technology has moved on light years since it was first designed. I suddenly appreciated my FZ6 so much more for all of its qualities.

Bottom line: try out as many bikes as you can. It's only when you ride other bikes that you realise that each bike is different. Magazine and website reviews are fun to read but mean little when it comes to knowing what YOU like.

I'll soon be installing my givi lateral cases and my bike will be as good as any tourer, with the advantages of lower running costs and light-weight. I reckon I'll be keeping it for a long time yet!

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Well was riding with some GSX-R's, R6's, CBR's and so on Yesterday, and had no problem keeping up with them, actually faster then some :)

3511Ride.jpg

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fazer in any of its guises isnt a race bike it is an all rounder- you can tour on it, you can scratch with the best of them onve you have the skills or just bumble along all by yourself whictling a merry tune.

The Fazer as with any bike is entirely controlled by your right hand- be heavy with it and watch out be gentle with it and the Fazer will look after you.

I cant see the need of anything faster or bigger (engined) on normal roads- buy a track bike if you want to race and a Fazer for anything else- no need for a tourer in my opinion. Done Wales to Scotland and all around twice on mine- comfortable all day long

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse spelling mistakes- I cant find my glasses

NEAN69 has it- it is all about the riders skills not the size of the bike or its race pedigree

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a ST1300 and a V-ROD and a FZ6. I love the FZ6 for it's light weight fun. It's a very good companion to my big heavy ST1300. But when it's time for me and the wife to go on a long trip she wants the ST1300. The V-ROD is just for when me and my buddies want to cruise.

I'm a lucky guy I know, but in my defence I don't golf or fish or smoke, bikes are my hobby. Enjoy your FZ6 while you have it, you will like your next bike maybe better but you will miss the FZ6.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fazer in any of its guises isnt a race bike it is an all rounder- you can tour on it, you can scratch with the best of them onve you have the skills or just bumble along all by yourself whictling a merry tune.

The Fazer as with any bike is entirely controlled by your right hand- be heavy with it and watch out be gentle with it and the Fazer will look after you.

I cant see the need of anything faster or bigger (engined) on normal roads- buy a track bike if you want to race and a Fazer for anything else- no need for a tourer in my opinion. Done Wales to Scotland and all around twice on mine- comfortable all day long

I think the same here

for me no need for a tourer, I can ride my FZ6 all day long without any problem, just add a pair of givi v35 or just soft luggage if you like and you are ready to pack as much as you want.

Last edited:

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new guy to the road myself and looked at the FJR 1300. I loved it and would have taken it home if it was not for one thing. It was too smooth. I found myself way over what I should have been speed wise several times. I also rode a BMW F800GS, a Ducati Multi Strada and found the FZ6 to fit me the best. Albeit not as comfortable as the FJR, but definately fun and more manageable when kept in the lower RPMs. Open this thing up and becomes a different machine. Which is cool too.

I had been riding dirtbikes for some time prior to getting on the street so I guess I am not a total nOOb. They do handle different for sure.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is pretty quick. I can only compare it to a handful of bikes.

The Ducati 848 was faster but didn't FEEL faster due to the silky smooth and steady delivery of power.

The 1200GS felt a LOT slower even though it put out similar horsepower. And I mean a LOT slower due again to the linear powerband and heavy weight of the bike.

The FZ6 felt truly tiny and insignificant when compared to the ball-breaking madness of the R1. If the R1 can be called fast, the FZ6 would have to be called "commonplace" by comparison.

Extrapolating from this:

The FJR should definitely give you a "bigger bike" feel with more pull than the FZ6. It would definitely be a noticeable step up in the power department.

The K1300S will rip your balls off in a fashion similar to the R1.

The Sprint ST/GT will feel pretty similar to the FZ6 and not give you any more or any less speed-satisfaction I would expect.

The Concours would be similar to the FJR.

/$0.02

Last edited: