Iron Butt: Ride and Prep!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Next IBA Ride - mid-Michigan to Bozeman, MT (1500)

I just found out I can get paid from work to go to a professional meeting next June, so I'm thinking I might take the bike to save $ and see some of the west. The meeting is in Moscow, Idaho - a bit more than 2000 miles from my home in mid-Michigan. Nearly all of the riding would be through new territory for me.

Since the ride is long and much of it is through flat stuff, I'm toying with the idea of doing the first 1500 miles or so as an IBA Bunburner 1500 (1500 miles in under 36 hours). The finishing point of that part of the ride would be around BOZEMAN, MONTANA.

The route would be (refer to the following map link) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...2.032974,-97.734375&spn=29.695916,75.9375&z=4

Day 1 (A-B on map): Albion, Michigan to Wall, South Dakota (about 1050 miles) and then a 5-6 hour rest at a motel. All interstate to get there (I-94W and the around Chicago and onto I-90W).

Day 2 (B-C): Wall, SD to Bozeman, MT (about 500 miles). All on I-90W.

After a short break (and celebration of the BB1500 - witness signature etc.), I'd try to ride to Missoula, MT later that day 2 (C-D) which is another 200 miles on I-90W.

On Day 3 (post-IBA ride), I'd lose the interstate and take US-12 from Missoula, MT to Moscow, ID (D-E) through the hills (supposed to be an awesome ride). Another 250 miles or so of fun.

After the meeting (4-5 days), my plan for the way back would be to follow US-12 accross much of the plains - taking 4 days instead of 3 to do it (not on the map).

Thoughts?

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
thats alota miles bro! my buns would be burnin around 500 miles.

Yeah - it's pretty ambitious. I'm not sure I could have done another 440 miles after my recent SadleSore 1000 (I did 1066 miles), but with longer daylight in mid-June and extra light from riding west, plus a short break 2/3 of the way through, it should be doable. If it rains a lot all bets are off.

Other things I need to improve on/do:

Quicker gas stops: planning to get a Camelbak. Also need a top case to hold extra water and other needed supplies for this trip. That should keep me from having to wait in line each time to buy stuff and will save time as I won't have to keep unpacking and re-packing my tiny tank bag at each stop.

Better riding boots + pegs (mounted on engine guards): This should help with the numb feet I got during the last ride (pegs are a bit high for me and this cut off the blood supply to the backs of my feet after several hours). Not cheap (I'm looking at Sidi Typhoon boots which are $325 alone).

Heated grips: These just came in today - I almost froze on the last ride. I'm considering PowerMadd hand guards too (I think they'll fit well with the risers I have - with stock bars I think they hit the windshield just before the turning lock).

Dual headlight mod: No brainer. Gotta do it (BD harness is on the way - I'll be doing this and the heated grips as soon as it arrives).

GPS: Not sure I need one, but I'd really like one.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Visit site
AWESOME! Sounds like a great ride. Paste in a link via mapquest or other website so we can check it out.....

You'll certainly appreciate the stops every 180-200 miles (YMMV). My legs fell asleep a few times, so be careful getting off the bike!

I had under 1200 miles on the FZ6 when I did mine. As long as it's broken in, I'd say you're fine. You'll know exactly what works and what doesn't by the time you finish!

I also tried a Vista Cruise, but I only used it a few times on the first 600 miles or so (and then only for a minute or so each time). I just couldn't get used to it and I've since taken it off. I LOVED having a throttle rocker though. Best $10 I've EVER spent. I never would have made it without that thing.

Knowing the route gives you the advantage of not getting lost and being able to judge your time. The downside is that it seems to be easier to stay alert if you're in new territory.

Here is what my trip looks like on the map Driving Directions from [765-899] Gran Paseo Dr, Orlando, FL to Columbia, MO

I got the site for IBA to load and was reading the rules and restrictions and what not and it seems pretty straight forward. Anyone know how picky they are about obeying the speed limit? I don't plan on pushing 100 but if I don't do 85-90 through Atlanta I'll get run over, those people are nuts. Also I've never heard of a throttle rocker, I'll have to look it up. I never even thought about my legs falling asleep but I guess I should, pretty much not moving at all for 200 miles or so I suppose that would happen. Lucky for me if I get tired I can stop in St. Louis and still break the 1000 miles. Shame Kansas City is only an extra 100 miles, as I'm was planning on going there in a couple days afterward would have done it the next day if I could have broken 1500 and gotten the BB but oh well, will have to plan a different trip for that I guess.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what my trip looks like on the map Driving Directions from [765-899] Gran Paseo Dr, Orlando, FL to Columbia, MO

I got the site for IBA to load and was reading the rules and restrictions and what not and it seems pretty straight forward. Anyone know how picky they are about obeying the speed limit? I don't plan on pushing 100 but if I don't do 85-90 through Atlanta I'll get run over, those people are nuts. Also I've never heard of a throttle rocker, I'll have to look it up. I never even thought about my legs falling asleep but I guess I should, pretty much not moving at all for 200 miles or so I suppose that would happen. Lucky for me if I get tired I can stop in St. Louis and still break the 1000 miles. Shame Kansas City is only an extra 100 miles, as I'm was planning on going there in a couple days afterward would have done it the next day if I could have broken 1500 and gotten the BB but oh well, will have to plan a different trip for that I guess.

Looks like a good route to me. Atlanta won't be fun though.

The IBA is pretty worried about speeding since it hurts their image. If you stick to the speed of traffic and don't go over too much I'm sure you'll be fine. I rode the speed of trafffic and found that I had to do 80+ in a few parts of Kentucky to keep up. Of course the speedo on our bikes is optimistic and reads disproportionately higher at higher speeds (so 78 was closer to 70 actual).

Throttlerocker info is at Throttle Rocker : Motorcycle Accessories It's wider than the crampbuster and shaped to fit your hand. I found one at a local HD shop for $10.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the standard GPS units voice navigation things loud enough to even hear over the roar of my beautiful bike, or would I have to have one with a headphone jack and have headphones on. Not so sure about having headphones on while riding, cops don't like bikers real well as it is in general, I don't think headphones would put on the greatest impression, although I doubt they would be seen really all up the jacket into the helmet. I suppose if I have to go the headphone route I might look into a gps that can play songs as well, that should make the ride a bit easier, keep the mind more active and what not. Anyone else notice that all the GPS units made for bikes are like twice as much as the same thing made for the cagers?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So my father sent me two emails today with a couple routes to get 1000 miles here around the south east.

I wonder what he has up his sleeves...

-bryan

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, the joy and self-satisfaction after completing a SaddleSore 1000 (IBA) cannot be described. I have completed two SS1000 rides and a Bun Burner Gold (BBG-1500 miles in less than 24 hours). Every one of these rides will stay with me for the rest of my life. :

Very impressive, especially on a FZ6!I wonder if my old lumbar spine could last that long!

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I hadn't ridden more than a few hundred miles in one day before I did my SS1000. I found that the last 700 was no worse than the first few hundred (in terms of comfort), so if you can do 300-400 miles you should be able to do 1000. Staying alert becomes a problem after a while though.

If I had the time, I'd like to try the 48-10 (all lower 48 states in 10 days with proof you've done it) and maybe the National Parks tour (visit 50 National Parks/Historic sites in at least 25 states in one year).

I'm currently deciding between trying a BunBurner 1500 or entering a smaller rally. I'd love to show those big BMWs and FJRs that an FZ6 can run with them!

I think you would need to add an extra metal gas tank where the passenger seat is located. They make them for various bikes using gravity fed connectors into the main fuel line using a switch. When the 1 fuel bar starts flashing, reach back and turn the knob for another additional 3-4 gallons of fuel. I have seen this rigs from VTX cruisers, V-Strom 650 and other bikes do this.

This past IB race of 11,000 miles in 11 days, a Harley Davidson came in second! Other bikes that have completed the LD ordeal including Honda Helix and the Kawa Ninja, so there is no doubt you could do it with enough dedication and effort.

I consider the whole thing like the Iron Man Triathlon of motorcycling.

Fred

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my FZ6 a couple days ago, so my opinion is without merit, but like somebody mentioned already, many Ninja 250's have completed the SS1000. There is a guy that did pretty well on a Ninja 250 in the 2005 (I think) Iron Butt Rally (11,000 miles in 11 days). If the Ninja can do it, the FZ6 should have no problems at all.

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Well a buddy and I are going for a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in less than 24 hours) the first day of our Texas to Alaska trip. We are meeting the IBA witness at 5:30 am on May 16.

I have ordered the MoTech crash frame with highway peg mounts. Corbin customer service blows so I just ordered a Top Saddlery seat. ( It was a pre-made special) Hopefully it gets here in time, Corbin just now informed me they wouldn't make it in time. Other gear is listed below in y sig.

We have decided if we do not feel it is safe we will do the Saddle sore 1000 the first day and complete it with the regular bun burner. However the gold is our current goal.

My buddy is on a 2008 Kawa 650r.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI IBA will not certify a Bun Burner Gold unless you have a completed a Saddle Sore or Bun Burner first. Good luck!

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI IBA will not certify a Bun Burner Gold unless you have a completed a Saddle Sore or Bun Burner first. Good luck!

Really? Can you send me some info on that? I have been emailing an IBA guy back and forth and he made no mention of it.:confused:

If we need to we can knock out a saddle sore a week before we go.

Thanks for the heads up but I hope you are wrong :D

We could always do a Saddlesore and Bun Burner on the way up, (1000 the first, 500 the next) then the Bun Burner Gold on the way down. We were hoping to knock it out while we were still fresh though.

We have both completed several 700+mile Day rides going to Big Bend from Houston for the weekend.

EDIT:
n-Burner GOLD.

WARNING: Before you can apply for Bun Burner Gold certification (1,500+ miles in 24 hours), you must have at least completed one of the following; a SaddleSore 1000, a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours), a SaddleSore 2000 (or other similiar IBA ride), the Alberta 2000, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally. IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact [email protected].

Found this, damn you were right. Thanks for the info!

Hmm so do I knock out a SS1000 before I go or should I do the SS 1000 and BB1500 on the way up?

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
She cheated on most, if not all of them.... lol.

BMW

Hi, Barb.

-bryan

Bryan, with the addition of a Bill Mayer (or similar) custom seat, the FZ6 would be more comfortable ergonomically than my BMW. I may still order one, since I have the stock seat sitting on a shelf in the garage. Just need to save up the $$.

Did my third SS1000 out to Van Horn in March to witness another rider's BBG Trifecta, then turned around and did a SS2000 to Jacksonville for the IBA party. But on the BMW. If you had been able to do the SS1000 in Charlotte, I was planning to do it on the FZ6. Of course, we can still do it, just do it on another weekend using the same route and I would line up the witness for us. Just let me know what weekend!

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
This past IB race of 11,000 miles in 11 days,

I want to point out to the readers of this forum that the Iron Butt Rally (IBR: approximately 11,000 miles in 11 days), held biannually in August (2009 is an "on" year), is not a race. It is not a "cannonball run." In fact, riders are disqualified if the rally organizers find out they were riding recklessly. This event is about strategy, not speed, and requires well-honed bonus-routing skills, ability to think on-the-fly, and to stay in the saddle and ride efficiently (efficient gas, "comfort" and rest stops), and is not about riding fast.

It's definitely fun to be an "arm-chair rallier" when this is going on. If you log into the webpage for this year's IBR, there will be daily reports of the participants, written by the witty Tom Austin. Many of the riders keep a SPOT log, and some even do real-time blogging while underway.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course, we can still do it, just do it on another weekend using the same route and I would line up the witness for us. Just let me know what weekend!

Will do! You will be the first to know, after Dad and I, when a weekend is set. I am really hoping we can get something going.

-bryan

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the SS1000 on the way. Remember you have more riding to do the next day and that's when the previous days big ride will hit you. Start out with smaller steps to learn what you can handle.
A BB Gold is a LOT harder to do than you think. Be sure to read the tips section on the IBA site and stay hydrated! Start with close to new tires, straight line riding really chews up the center. Don't forget the chain lube.