POLL: What LD ride is next?

What endurance riding event should I attempt?

• Great Lakes Challenge (around ALL Great Lakes in <100 hours)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Great Lakes GOLD (around ALL Great Lakes in <50 hours)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Border-to-Border (Canada to Mexico in <36 hours)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Border-to-Border Insanity (Canada to Mexico in <24 hours)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Border-to-Border-to-Border (Canada to Mexico to Canada in <72 hours)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other / Stay home / Get a LIFE!

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As I've mentioned on here before, I got bitten by the endurance riding/Iron Butt riding thing last year when I did a Saddlesore 1000 on my FZ6 (1000 miles in under 24h is required - I did about 1060 in a bit under 20 hours with several longer stops).

I've spent a long time modding the bike and reading about different endurance rides. I've got my next attempt narrowed to a few choices (for details check out IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders ) I live in mid-Michigan - about 2 hours from the Canadian border.

Anyway, my current 'choices' are:

(1) Great Lakes Challenge: Ride around all 5 Great Lakes (~2500 miles) in under 100 hours.

(2) Great Lakes GOLD: Ride arounds all 5 Great Lakes in under 50 hours! (see map below)

(3) Border-to-Border: Ride from inside of Canada to inside of Mexico in under 36 hours.

(4) Border-to-Border Insanity: Ride from inside of Canada to inside of Mexico in under 24 hours.

(5) Border-to-Border-to-Border: Ride from inside of Canada to inside of Mexico to back inside of Canada in under 72 hours!

For the record, I'm leaning toward #2 (quickest route from my location is shown on the map below- along with possible stops). Of course all of these rides require witnesses and gas receipts, as well as a mileage log.
GLG_1.jpg

Here's what the bike looked like in the fall (I've since swapped the windshield with one from Cee Bailey and added a Garmin Zumo GPS).
IMG_2075.jpg

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Iron Butt indeed, especially on a standard FZ6 seat :eek:

I'm with you, I think the map you have there looks like the go. Being from "Down-Under" though, not really familiar with the areas for the any of those LD rides.

Great idea with the footpegs at the front there, great place to relax your legs on the long hauls.

Good luck, lets us know how you go.

:)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea with the footpegs at the front there, great place to relax your legs on the long hauls.

Just got those pegs last fall. I had bad cramping in my legs/feet on my last long ride so hopefully those and a new set of boots will cure that.

Still have the stock seat. We'll see how it holds up.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Work your way up to a border to border which is a long way from a saddle sore. I did the Cal24 rally last summer, it was my first 24 hour rally. What I learned most is I love to ride long days but me and my night vision are not cut out for riding much more than 15 - 18 hours. If interested I can hook you up with a LD rider from Mn. who is big on LD rides in that area, pm me for info.
Warning- if you really get hooked on LD rides the FZ may become a second bike next to a FJR or Beemer

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Work your way up to a border to border which is a long way from a saddle sore. I did the Cal24 rally last summer, it was my first 24 hour rally. What I learned most is I love to ride long days but me and my night vision are not cut out for riding much more than 15 - 18 hours. If interested I can hook you up with a LD rider from Mn. who is big on LD rides in that area, pm me for info.
Warning- if you really get hooked on LD rides the FZ may become a second bike next to a FJR or Beemer

Very cool. I'd love to try a rally sometime. Adding all that routing to a long ride must really increase the challenge.

I agree that a 24h border-to-border is a major jump from a Saddlesore 1000, although the 36h version shouldn't be too terrible (of course there's the ride back afterwards....and the weather factor to worry about).

As for the Great Lakes Gold (50 hours) it's is actually more mileage than a U.S. Coast-to-Coast ride and with slower roads as well. Based on my times on 500-1000 mile rides, I likely wouldn't be able to stop for more than a couple of naps if I want to make it in under 50 hours. The 100 hour version would be very doable I think, but I would probably try to go for it in under 50 to start and see how I feel when I teach Thunder Bay, Ontario (the split between the more boring, but quicker route far north of Superior and the scenic but slower route close to the Lake). I think an FZ6 would be the smallest displacement bike to complete that ride.

I'd LOVE to have a C-14 or an FJR for this sort of thing. Much less vibes on long rides. For now, I plan to see what the FZ6 is capable of (or more accurately, what I am capable of on an FZ6).

I think I'll need an automatic chain oiler too. I don't see making it if I have to stop 3-5 times to lube the chain.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I'm voting for "other."

Do a BBG first, before attempting the longer endurance rides you've listed. A BBG is a tough ride. You'll learn a lot by attempting it and will gain the experience you'll need to attempt a longer endurance ride such as a Border to Border or Great Lakes Challenge.

If you're still determined to attempt the Great Lakes Challenge, go to The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum and sign up for the Great Lakes Challenge ride being organized by them. MTF has a working relationship with IBA and organize and put on some of the longer, more difficult IBA-certifiable rides. This year they'll be doing regional SS1000's as well as the Great lakes Challenge. They did the Border to Border last August.

I am a board member of MTF, so feel free to ask any questions you may have about the organization or the rides.

Barb

SS1000 (2)
BBG
IBA National Parks Tour
IBA National Parks Tour Silver (Four corners-U.S.)

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know when you'd be making the 90-94 stretch, and I'd be happy to tag along for a few hundred miles... WI would be where I drew the limit... I'd love to go on a long relaxed cruise...

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that a BBG would be a very tough ride, but wouldn't a B2B (36 hour) or the Great Lakes Challenge be easier (at least in terms of riding without breaks and grabbing some sleep)? I've done several back-to-back-to-back-to-back 500-700 mile days in the saddle without any problems, which seems to be about the pace of a Great Lakes Challenge or 'regular' B2B. A ton of riding to be sure.

MTF is an amazing resource! I've learned a lot surfing on their forum. It's VERY humbling hearing about what you folks have done! I've thought about the MTF Great Lakes Challenge, but the timing might not work for me this year. Also, if I remember correctly, the MTF 'Gold' ride requires completion of a BBG first to qualify. I completely understand the rationale for the restriction and while I'd be happy with the 'Challenge' version I've come to know my riding limits (and practiced fuel stops, the 'Iron Butt motel', and other strategies), so I really want the option of setting out for 'Gold' version to start with. I also think that I'd benefit from having flexibility in my riding dates (I''m fine with rain, but the FZ6 doesn't seem to have quite enough juice to power a heated vest along with all of my other gadgets and mods).

I spend hours a day obsessing about LD riding. It's gonna be a fun year!

I'm voting for "other."

Do a BBG first, before attempting the longer endurance rides you've listed. A BBG is a tough ride. You'll learn a lot by attempting it and will gain the experience you'll need to attempt a longer endurance ride such as a Border to Border or Great Lakes Challenge.

If you're still determined to attempt the Great Lakes Challenge, go to The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum and sign up for the Great Lakes Challenge ride being organized by them. MTF has a working relationship with IBA and organize and put on some of the longer, more difficult IBA-certifiable rides. This year they'll be doing regional SS1000's as well as the Great lakes Challenge. They did the Border to Border last August.

I am a board member of MTF, so feel free to ask any questions you may have about the organization or the rides.

Barb

SS1000 (2)
BBG
IBA National Parks Tour
IBA National Parks Tour Silver (Four corners-U.S.)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know when you'd be making the 90-94 stretch, and I'd be happy to tag along for a few hundred miles... WI would be where I drew the limit... I'd love to go on a long relaxed cruise...

I'll post everything up when the date gets close. I will likely go when the weather window cooperates (perhaps late-May at the earliest), so it might be on short notice.

If I do the 'Gold' version, I probably won't be able to stop for more than a few minutes (and even then, it would be to gas up). Eating is usually done on the road.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Those pegs are cool.

As for the seat, if I was doing the miles you are, I'd definately get an AIRHAWK or something similar.

Good idea. I think the seat might now be my limiting factor (on previous rides, it was the pegs). I do find the stock seat less than amazing, although it's not too bad for someone of my weight (170). With riding pants and a good pair of riding shorts (LDComfort) it's actually not bad. The shorts are easily as important as the seat I think.

On my last bike I used a sheepskin cover from Alaska Leather. It easily doubled my riding time on what was otherwise a VERY uncomfortable cruiser. It doesn't fit the FZ6, but I am considering another one, or something similar. I hear those bead cushions work for some LD riders....I might make my own and test it out.

If I had the $$$ (or if my next ride fails because of it), I'd likely consider a custom seat.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
The great thing about attempting the B2B or the GLC, is that you can start out doing either of those at the "Gold" level and, if time starts getting away from you, continue on, knowing you can finish it at the less-extreme level.

Good riding and be sure to give us a report and write-up when you finish it.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Smart move about the chain oiler, big reason to love shaft drive. Do you listen to music etc from the Zumo?
I use an I pod with custom ear plugs and a I-Jet wireless remote, really helps pass the miles. Things can get a bit boring across the desert.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Smart move about the chain oiler, big reason to love shaft drive. Do you listen to music etc from the Zumo?
I use an I pod with custom ear plugs and a I-Jet wireless remote, really helps pass the miles. Things can get a bit boring across the desert.

I just put the Zumo on the bike, so haven't had a chance to use it yet (bike is away for the winter). I've copied most of my stuff from the ipod onto it in case I decide to use it for music & verbal directions. I still have to figure out how to make mp3 playlists for it.

I haven't ordered a chain oiler yet, but I'll probably go with a Scottoiler & lubetube to extend the range. Shaft drive would be nice (at least on something other than a BMW - too many final drive failures there).

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you asked, they all sound like horrible ideas to me. Expensive, painful, dangerous, and with so much good twisty riding passed up in the process. I can understand a rally, maybe, but this type of super-slab burning stuff just baffles me. Don't you get the same feeling of adventure and challenge out of back-road sport-touring?

I wish you the best of luck. Ride safe.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want to take a ride up and around the Canadian Rockies and then back down the west coast and then back up to Mt. So when I get the wifes Harley's tranny fixed we want to go that route. It will be loads of fun, I do plan on getting a softer seat tho.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The ride from Canada to Mexico sounds great, and getting the passport stamped three times (USA, CANADA, MEXICO) on a bike sounds and looks great. I would love to do a ride like this, but not iron butt style. I would do something like a Ride from here in Florida up the east coast to Canada, across to the west coast, down to Mexico then work my way back to Florida in month or so.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The ride from Canada to Mexico sounds great, and getting the passport stamped three times (USA, CANADA, MEXICO) on a bike sounds and looks great. I would love to do a ride like this, but not iron butt style. I would do something like a Ride from here in Florida up the east coast to Canada, across to the west coast, down to Mexico then work my way back to Florida in month or so.

If I did the border-to-border, there's almost no way I'd do it both ways. I'd likely try it on the way down and then my time coming back via a long route.

If I had more time I'd take a few weeks and do the 4-corners ride (I was thinking about this until my job started asking for all sorts of summer committments). I've always wanted to ride out west and see the Pacific northwest (I grew up in maritime Canada so I'm already familiar with the Atlantic side, which is also pretty cool).

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The west is best. It's a whole another world out here. Desert, rain forests,mountains, valleys, ocean. Man I want to go now except I couldn't get my bike out due to the farging snow outside:(

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago I did a run around lake Superior, and loved it. We were in no hurry and tried to see as much stuff as we could. I would recommend the lake tour, but do the 100 hour one. This way you can see some of the wonderful back roads in Northwest Wisconsin and in Eastern Minnesota. The Mississippi River valley is beautiful in spring. The Wisconsin Indian Head area has many lovely back roads that are a shame to buzz past on the Interstate. Minnesota State Hwy 61 is another beautiful road to enjoy at a leisurely pace. Make sure you stop and look at the break waters in Grand Marais MN, simply breath taking in the morning! Sven & Ole's Pizza is a must stop too.