Integrated turn signals and brake lights

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Taylor,
Check out post #43. He has a wiring diagram. :)

Yeah I printed it but I'm not sure what type of connected to use I'd rather not use a splice connecter and I don't have a soldering tool :), was wondering what type of connector is best or if I should solder it thanks again

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I printed it but I'm not sure what type of connected to use I'd rather not use a splice connecter and I don't have a soldering tool :), was wondering what type of connector is best or if I should solder it thanks again

I'll tell you what. Bring the stuff you want to mount and I'll do a pro job for you. I've got all the wire goodies to do it and I'm not far from you! We could even get a ride in! :rockon: Just schedule some time! :)

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely take you up on that since I've only soldered about 3 times but my whole rear end is taken off lol I think I'm going to put the signals on but with no break lights, maybe you can show me a thing or two about electrical one of these weekends coming up. Just let me know when's good for you. (I feel wrong going to some else's house with out my tools)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely take you up on that since I've only soldered about 3 times but my whole rear end is taken off lol I think I'm going to put the signals on but with no break lights, maybe you can show me a thing or two about electrical one of these weekends coming up. Just let me know when's good for you. (I feel wrong going to some else's house with out my tools)

PM me your mobile number and we'll hook up. :)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious how did you connect the turn signals I to the brake harness or what do you recommend for a t or y connector thanks :)

For the rear turn signals I used y-cables from Motodynamic. I did not cut into any of the harnesses on the bike. I did have to solder new ends onto the replacement stocks, some diodes and other things. Soldering is easy it just takes some practice. Make sure to heat up the wire and let the solder melt onto it, don't heat up the solder and run it onto the wires.

Yamaha Rear Turn Signal Splitter Y-Adapter Harness 2 Wire R1 R6 FZ6 FZ6R FZ1 FZ8

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the 3 cables you joined into the brake light? I had to use 6 pin connectors from RadioShack to dibble the side of the stocks taillight harness

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the 3 cables you joined into the brake light? I had to use 6 pin connectors from RadioShack to dibble the side of the stocks taillight harness

Yes for brakes I had to cut into the harness. I did this on the motodynamic harness that came with the tail light. If I put the factory tail light and stocks back on the bike there would be no cuts in the wiring.

I don't have a good picture and I put the bike away for the winter yesterday.

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Mm sounds good I can visualize it.

I didn't use any kind of a connector. I just exposed some of the wire and soldered it all together and heat shrink wrapped it. It's a bit ugly and I will probably clean it up next time I have it apart. Especially with the diodes in there it's a big ball of wires and could be much cleaner than I did.

I also want to shorten up some of the wires, it just barely fits under the side panel.

Since I replaced the relay with one for LEDs I wonder if I can remove the giant resistor that came with the tail light. I'm not sure if it serves any other purposes.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably it looks good I as worried about being able to disconnect so I socketed pins and bought 6 pin connectors for the rear brakes on turn signals and the brake then 2 pin connectors for te turn sig

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't use any kind of a connector. I just exposed some of the wire and soldered it all together and heat shrink wrapped it. It's a bit ugly and I will probably clean it up next time I have it apart. Especially with the diodes in there it's a big ball of wires and could be much cleaner than I did.

I also want to shorten up some of the wires, it just barely fits under the side panel.

Since I replaced the relay with one for LEDs I wonder if I can remove the giant resistor that came with the tail light. I'm not sure if it serves any other purposes.

Most resistors that come with LED set-ups are to provide a similar load to the OEM flasher to keep the flash rate the same. The resistors use power, create heat and have to live somewhere safe on the bike to keep from shorting out. These type resistors are wired in parallel and not series. This means they are wired from the signal wire to ground, usually a black wire. The type resistor that are series are in line to the LED being powered. These type are for voltage drop and should always stay in circuit. The type resistors you have are probably parallel wired and you can remove them if you've changed to an electronic type flasher. :)