Insurance rates

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys. Just wanted to get a little consensus on insurance rates. Mainly I'm wondering when they start going down. I am 20, have a 2007 fz6, and have a clean driving record. I pay $780 a year for my insurance with middle of the road coverage. I know I could reduce that by dropping coverage in certain areas, but that's not what I'm talking about. I am looking into buying the Fz-09 but I know insurance for that will be somewhere around $1300 for the year(online quote):eek: just wondering if they ever go down or if this is about what is standard for our type of bikes. Thanks for the input!

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: Well, I'm sorry to hear about your costs for insurance. I'm 52 and have a clean driving record too. I went with State Farm and my insurance was $197.60 for the year. Sorry dude...but you may have a few years to to wait before seeing cheaper insurance. I did contact an agent directly instead of the online game. Give that a shot...i was surpirsed as it was cheaper than all the other providers online. Have you take the BRC course? I know that makes a difference and could save you some coin. Good luck!

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Your zip code in C-bus could well be working against you. Your age isn't doing you any favors either. I live in Pickerington and have two bikes on my policy. (see my signature) I pay $250/year with Progressive for 100/300/50 coverage. As it was explained to me, Picktown has a much lower theft and accident rate than Columbus so I get a better rate than a buddy of mine that has a 43232 zip code.

FWIW, my insurance with Progressive has gone down almost every year since I started doing business with them. The only times it hasn't is when I've added a bike or two to the policy. I'm almost 60 and have been with Progressive since 1997.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Things that affect rate:
Age (over 25 is when it typically starts to go down.. at least for cars).
Credit history: better = lower rate.
Education: college degree = lower rate.
House ownership = lower rate.
Marital status: married = lower rate.

So.. sorry to say, odds are definitely stacked against you.

Having said that.. do shop around. It can vary greatly from company to company. Defensive driving course does provide a bit of a discount.. another benefit of taking BRC.

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
im in vancouver bc, and we pay thru the nose for insurance. just insured my bike for 6 month, it cost me $770. that is already cheaper than the full rate since i insure the liability part thru private insurance. im 35, with full discount on my insurance (43% discount). they need to open the market to private insurance companies like in the other provinces here in canada!!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I pay around $600 a year for the highest coverage in all the medical categories and second highest in medical payments ($10,000). No collision or comprehensive coverage. I've found that medical payments and collision affect the premium significantly more than the other coverage options.

This is through Progressive.

I'm 22 with one speeding ticket.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
I just signed up w/Foremost Insurance via my broker (PM me for contact info)... NYC based broker, a national insurance company. Price is honestly amazing, and supposedly its a good company for claims (I hope never to find out).

I got Comp AND Collision for under a grand in NYC (one of the highest insurance rates eva!). Doubt you'll get a better deal around here, and in other states it'll likely be much cheaper.

Good luck.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci Covered it well.

My rate on the FZ6 for full coverage with moderate limits is around $22/month ($264/year). I think it would likely be lower if I lived further from DC (60 miles Southwest) I'm 35 now with a college degree and married and have only ever had one traffic ticket in my life and have never filed an insurance claim.

My insurance went down some at age 25 and at age 30 but it almost got cut in half when I got married and bought a house in the same year. :thumbup:

Apparently most married guys who are able to buy a house instead of rent tend to be safer on the roads, or at least that's what the insurance companies believe.

Last edited:

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
32 Y/O male
Married
No moving infractions
Multi-policy discount (renters and car)
Rider safety discount
$199 a year for full coverage including PIP and uninsured/underinsured (with a $500 deductible) through progressive as a USAA member.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 28, pay 150ish, but do not have collission or theft. I do live in Chicago, so I'm sure that doesnt help

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. I think a lot of it has to do with the area I'm in as said before. Guess I have a while to wait till I start seeing them drop :(

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. I think a lot of it has to do with the area I'm in as said before. Guess I have a while to wait till I start seeing them drop :(

Age and location do factor a lot. Don't forget to ask how the insurance company classifies your bike. Geico classified mine as a sport/race bike, but Progressive classifies it as a standard. HUGE difference in cost.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Age and location do factor a lot. Don't forget to ask how the insurance company classifies your bike. Geico classified mine as a sport/race bike, but Progressive classifies it as a standard. HUGE difference in cost.

Yes, the class they put your bike in makes HUGE difference. When I bought my FZ6 back in 2007 I also got an insurance quote for an R6. The FZ6 was less than HALF the cost to insure at the same coverages!

pepmeister

Reaction score
Visit site
for the 07 fz6 i was quoted $1500 for the year with usaa/progressive and i'm 1 month from being 21, clean driving record, married, and middle of the road credit living in a town with 3,000 people in it.... i'd say you are already getting a deal... oh and that was with $1000 deductibles and everything else being minimal....

for my 2004 fz6 ( haven't rode it yet just got it yesterday) i'm being quoted for $770 :Flip::Flip:for the year with $1000 deductibles and everything else being minmal... paid $1300 for a bike that costs almost $800 for the year to insure. :Flip:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
for the 07 fz6 i was quoted $1500 for the year with usaa/progressive and i'm 1 month from being 21, clean driving record, married, and middle of the road credit living in a town with 3,000 people in it.... i'd say you are already getting a deal... oh and that was with $1000 deductibles and everything else being minimal....

for my 2004 fz6 ( haven't rode it yet just got it yesterday) i'm being quoted for $770 :Flip::Flip:for the year with $1000 deductibles and everything else being minmal... paid $1300 for a bike that costs almost $800 for the year to insure. :Flip:

Look on the bright side, son! You may pay 5 times more than us old guys but you are enjoying the best health and least pain of your adult life right now, live it! I'm only 35 and I can barely get out of bed some mornings due to back and shoulder pain. :(

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
2009 FZ6 (I hold the title so no lien).
24 year old
chicago suburbs
renter
single
college graduate
one speeding ticket
$380/yr.

100/300/50
$500 collision/comprehensive

That's with responsible driver, paid-in-full, multi-policy, motorcycle endorsement, and safety course discounts.

Oh, forgot to mention, I'v been insured on a motorcycle since 2008 with no claims. I'v noticed that my rate drops by a good chunk each year, last year I was in the $600 range with the same criteria.

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got mine in the mail. Good to be an old guy.

2006 FZ6
58 Years young
Married
Chicago burbs
Garaged
100/300/50
$500 collision/comprehensive

$172 year

Have a multi vehicle policy discount. Also have a 125 scooter, $60 year.

robronaldson

Reaction score
Visit site
2006 FZ6, owned outright
21 y/o
My insurance is fairly basic but I've got full comprehensive with a $250 deductible.
One speeding ticket (in a rental minivan, go figure :shakehead:)
$1560 a year.

It sucks to live in the city :/