Installed Smog Block Offs Now Stalling

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

i resently purchased a nice set off block off plates and installed them with ease. and for the last few weeks my bike keeps stalling when i try to start it up. if i give it gas right away and let it down smooth its fine. any other time its a coldish engine under ten mins of riding, a bump of the gas will stall it out.

also when i start the bike it turns over and starts but the starter ingages for another turn or two. i think i should just put back the old stuff.

the popping has decreased greatly and the bike rides perfect, it just acts stupid during start up and before warm up.

any ideas or simular situations, or should i just go back to stock. thanks in advance.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you leave the ais valve pluged in. You can't remove it. Just cap off hose ends.

I removed the AIS valve(unplugged) when I removed it. I've since reinstalled it and honestly never noticed a difference other than slight reduction in popping of unburnt fuel.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The idle should be adjusted once warmed up to 1350 RPM or so..

Under the fue tank, left side, just above the frame, a long phillips head screwdriver looks like a star shaped screw.

Cold idle, will be higher than 1350, approx 150 RPM's or so depending on the outside temp and other variables... The ECU sets it accordingly..

+1 on plugging the AIS back in. The valve cover block off plates are fine...

An ECU re-set (disconnect the battery) wouldn't hurt but probably won't be necessary once the idle is adjusted back up and the AIS plugged in.

Last edited:

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed block-off plates on my '09, unplugged & removed the entire mess, didn't disconnect my battery & mine runs perfectly. I didn't notice a change in idle or anything.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
apologies for ignorance, and not trying to jack the post, i clicked the ebay link and on years it has 07-10fz6 01-10 fz6r then they list r6, wth i was told theres fz6n(eu) fz6 and fz6s(07+) whats the fazer the fz6r etc ? it also says if u have pc/autotune installed smog block offs are a must how exactly do they work ?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
apologies for ignorance, and not trying to jack the post, i clicked the ebay link and on years it has 07-10fz6 01-10 fz6r then they list r6, wth i was told theres fz6n(eu) fz6 and fz6s(07+) whats the fazer the fz6r etc ? it also says if u have pc/autotune installed smog block offs are a must how exactly do they work ?

The ASI add some air in deceleration to burn the unburn fuel. If you are using Auto Tune with a wideband sensor, the extra air in the exhaust will set off the parameter... aka false reading on the Air/fuel ratio. Never heard anyone having issues after installing the block off plates. Someone did forget to hook up the air temp sensor from the air box. Did you make sure those 3 rubber hose are in properly (air box to idle control unit)... I did the mistake once and the idle was a little off.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spare parts....
53225d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7715-jpg

AIS Block Off Plates Installed:
53226d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7711-jpg

The plates I used use the OEM seal to seal them. As such, the reeds stay in the valve cover. It's nice to see Yama'r placed a cage around them should they destruct they likely won't find their way back into the engine.
53227d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_130114_265-jpg

These port through the valve cover, into the head, and down to the exhaust port. They must be blocked for a Dyno run or it throws off the AFR / CO readings in the exhaust making it look lean when its not.
53228d1400390060-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_130104_043-jpg

FWIW: Air box removal is best done with a 6" 4mm ball head Allen wrench. From the ball head to the socket is 6.5". So a long reach Allen is really handy. Yes, I welded that POS together from scraps...
53229d1400390681-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_124113_745-jpg

To add value to this thread - blocking that port off should not change the tune. Something else must have been disturbed. . .
Like Marthy said, its only needed if on the Tread mill for a tune or running aftermarket tuners.

Last edited:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
whats the gain in blocking off the system anyway,it only bleeds air into the exhaust to give a leaner exhaust mixture to keep emissions police happy,i would think the richer exhaust gases would eventually flag a fault on the lamba sensor as its designed to read a leaner mix,i cant see any advantage to this mod or am i missing something,does it give any extra horse power or give the bike better drivability
nick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
whats the gain in blocking off the system anyway,it only bleeds air into the exhaust to give a leaner exhaust mixture to keep emissions police happy,i would think the richer exhaust gases would eventually flag a fault on the lamba sensor as its designed to read a leaner mix,i cant see any advantage to this mod or am i missing something,does it give any extra horse power or give the bike better drivability
nick

Your right it does absolutely nothing for performance. I would guess it could even make the cat do a tiny bit more work with the extra hydrocarbons. Or possibly lean out the the mix on cold idle, but I dought that.

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys really. I'ma pull it back apart and double check it all. I taped the plug off and I know the air hoses are all in place and the port from the air box is capped off. If all looks in order I'll try the reset and then adjust the idle to 1350 after warmed. And that should do it. Plus I just got my HID from DDM Tunning !!!!!! Will post pics

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
nick

To stop or at least reduce the backfire in the tail pipe. The added air gives it the ability to re-burn and when it does it flashes off with a pop! if you listen close a stock bike does it often. With louder pipes its simply more obvious. I can't say for fact that is does or doesn't change the performance - tho I suspect it does nothing good/bad performance wise other than shed the bike of a few grams of fat. . .

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
iam sorry but this is just messing with stuff that people designed in and then tuned the rest of the injection around,iam a car mechanic of 25 years and when something works you leave it alone,if there was 25 bhp in it then fare enough,but to fix a plesent exhaust pop on overrun well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
sorry and no offence to anyone but i'll leave mine stock
nick