Installed a STARLANE ENGEAR Gear indicator - A few Pics

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't an 'installation' or 'how to' thread. I just wanted to share some photos and info on the gear indicator. I'm happy to answer any questions though.

I scored a STARLANE ENGEAR Gear indicator new in the box for pretty cheap so I stayed up late last night installing it on the cup bike.

It's a universal product. It has a fairly large red digital display and a super bright blue led shift light. The installation was pretty straight forward. It comes with instructions. If you know how to remove the tank and solder wires than you'll have no problem. There are 5 wires that you need to splice from the main harness just before the ecu plug. 1. IGN positive + 2. Negative - 3. Speed signal 4. RPM signal 5. Neutral signal. Everything is detailed in the instructions along with the all the info about programming it. The brightness auto adjusts on the display as well depending on ambient light.

I made a little bracket up as I wanted to mount it right next to the tacho. The lcd part of the speedo is broken and doesn't work which is why it's taped up.

Link to Product : ENGEAR - Engear - Engaged gear indicator-shift light.

Z79C3c9.jpg

Pc3VtR8.jpg

kEGpnaK.jpg

mkUkJPN.jpg

Last edited:

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you not scared by those two bolts coming out of the left bar clamp?

That's the kind of thing that could really mess you up in a crash! I would really change them for shorter bolts if you don't want to keep the holes empty.

Great bike though!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing there's a few tubes of thread lock on a race bike!

I didn't mean the bolts coming undone and hitting him in the face, i was talking about him going over the bars one way or another and getting stabbed by the protuberant bolts.

With enough force these could definitely tear you up pretty bad!

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you not scared by those two bolts coming out of the left bar clamp?

That's the kind of thing that could really mess you up in a crash! I would really change them for shorter bolts if you don't want to keep the holes empty.

Great bike though!

Those bolts are only just sitting in there loosely by a couple of threads. I have a plate that I mount across there for my go pro. When fitted, the bolts tighten all the way down to the bolt head.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Those bolts are only just sitting in there loosely by a couple of threads. I have a plate that I mount across there for my go pro. When fitted, the bolts tighten all the way down to the bolt head.

Makes sens! I though you had just used the stock length bolts to fill the holes, didn't seem very safe...

Man, i wish i could ride a bike like yours, see how different it feels from my FZ6!

What gearing do you have?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing and that looks pretty solid. Q? Why the black mask over the instrument? Is engine temperature not important or just a distraction?

One request please - could you drop the pixel count down on new pictures? Its killing my page load time! :spank: Thanks!

Brandon

Fastest FZ6 on my street!
Reaction score
Visit site
How fast does the indicator change when you up/downshift? And does it show the gear whether you've got the clutch engaged or not?

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing and that looks pretty solid. Q? Why the black mask over the instrument? Is engine temperature not important or just a distraction?

One request please - could you drop the pixel count down on new pictures? Its killing my page load time! :spank: Thanks!

The lcd screen is broken and no longer works which is why it's taped up. I miss having the digital temp guage. Still have a temp warning light in the tachometer.

I have re sized the images so you should be sweet now. I will re size before I post next time.

How fast does the indicator change when you up/downshift? And does it show the gear whether you've got the clutch engaged or not?

It changed instantly with a gear change. I have only run it on the race stand to program it so I will get back to you about the clutch in question. It's getting test riden this afternoon so I will get back to you about that tomorrow.