Installed a 12v outlet, before, during, and after pics

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple quick questions:
1.) This won't drain the battery as long as nothing is plugged in, correct? I don't plan on installing any sort of relay...

2.) I bought a 12V waterproof cigarette lighter outlet from an auto parts store. There is no in-line fuse and the guy at the counter said it really wouldn't be necessary for my purposes (powering a GPS and maybe charging my phone/mp3 player while on the road. Outlet won't be used unless the bike is running.

3.) Can the negative wire of the outlet just connect to the negative terminal on the battery?

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple quick questions:
1.) This won't drain the battery as long as nothing is plugged in, correct? I don't plan on installing any sort of relay...

Correct. I have both of mine so they are always powered so i can charge my phone or GPS when the bike is off. These things draw very little power and would take quite a while (weeks) to drain a battery.

2.) I bought a 12V waterproof cigarette lighter outlet from an auto parts store. There is no in-line fuse and the guy at the counter said it really wouldn't be necessary for my purposes (powering a GPS and maybe charging my phone/mp3 player while on the road. Outlet won't be used unless the bike is running.

WRONG. You should always run a fuse just in case something goes wrong with the devise, plug, wiring or someone decides to stick a penny down it while you are away. Positive side gets the fuse.

3.) Can the negative wire of the outlet just connect to the negative terminal on the battery?

You can if you want

jmanz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still deciding if I want to unstall a 12V socket like this or just mount a waterproof USB socket so I can plug in my GPS, Cell phone, or MP3 player. Seems alomst everything these days can charge from USB. I made a USB power source that lives in my tank bag to power my phone/MP3 player and GPS, but having it on the bike owuld be more convenient.

Nice work. Looks clean and unobtrusive.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my GPS line hardwired (and fused) direct to the battery.

I also put a BMW style outlet (also fused, 15 amp) on a bracket located on the left side of the bike for heated clothing, charger, etc. It's located just ahead of the passenger footpeg. The helmet lock assembly was also moved out as well approx and 1" as well for easier access. I have a second helmet lock assembly also on the right side, same location.

Last edited:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I have my GPS line hardwired (and fused) direct to the battery.

I also put a BMW style outlet (also fused, 15 amp) on a bracket located on the left side of the bike for heated clothing, charger, etc. It's located just ahead of the passenger footpeg. The helmet lock assembly was also moved out as well approx and 1" as well for easier access. I have a second helmet lock assembly also on the right side, same location.

Whats a "BMW Style" outlet?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats a "BMW Style" outlet?

Its basically the same as a cigarette lighter style socket but slightly smaller and sturdier. Most electrical clothing use either the BMW style or a standard SAE plug. The BMW style plugs are generally less likely to come loose and hold up better. Should you forget to un-plug your clothing, it'll pull out without hurting anything.

The Powerlet BMW style plugs I have use a spring loaded cover to automatically cover the socket when not in use....

Standard Powerlet Socket - Powerlet Products

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm so I installed my 12V plug this afternoon. Used a 30 amp inline fuse as it was the only thing I had around the house (it was the older glass type fuse but still in a watertight container). Connected the positive wire to the battery, and the ground wire to the frame (where the tank bolts down in the front just ahead of the battery by the steering head).

Turned on the FZ6, plugged in my GPS and it wasn't charging). After a few minutes of head scratching I checked the fuse and it was blown. Now it was an older fuse (probably 10 years old or so, maybe a little older), but it was new in the package and a fuse is a fuse.

Any idea what the problem could be?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
(1) Is the positive is connected to the enter (middle connector) and the negative to the outside (of the socket)steel part correct? Also, make sure the connectors to the GPS are correct as well..

(2) The fuse was probably already blown.

(3) Make sure your hot wire isn't shorting out on anything once the gas tank is down.

Last edited: