Indulge my Curiosity.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
Another newbie moment happening to me, I'm a little worried about my fender eliminator clearance to tire, can someone with a stock '04 FZ6 do me a solid favor and while the bike is on the kick stand measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the left exhaust outlet (the actual metal pipe where the exhaust is expelled) in inches? I want something to compare my own ride height to, something just doesn't feel right. :thumbup:

I would greatly appreciate it thanks.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have my fz close to measure right now but of you could take a picture and post it that would help. Also do you know what the preload is set at? I had mine set at 1 for a while until I destroyed my FE doing a wheelie. I moved it up to 6 and it sits a good bit higher now and feels a lot more stable as well.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'd have much better luck asking for a measurement from the top down. i.e. from the seat a foot peg, the grab bars etc.
Just as Chev pointed out, the suspension set up is a huge variable so the number you seak is basically useless. keep in mind that Yamaha designed the suspension such that it could be completely compressed (Spring setting "DOES NOT MATTER") and NOT have the tire hit the fender.

That shock inside the spring is the limiting factor unless its been modified or had the spring changed. Usually coil over shocks are not allowed to compress to a point of coil stack so its the internal shock and that rubber stopper that limit the minimum compression or how far the tire will go towards the seat during compression.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Another newbie moment happening to me, I'm a little worried about my fender eliminator clearance to tire, can someone with a stock '04 FZ6 do me a solid favor and while the bike is on the kick stand measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the left exhaust outlet (the actual metal pipe where the exhaust is expelled) in inches? I want something to compare my own ride height to, something just doesn't feel right. :thumbup:

I would greatly appreciate it thanks.
ill make a deal with you
post a picture of your worries about clearance
and ill measure my clearance level for you
but you first

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I came home to find out I can't find my measuring tape and it was pouring sheets of rain all afternoon so uncovering and getting soaked not worth it can wait till tomorrow. :BLAA:

Thanks for the pics though

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
they dont look normal height
its dark where i am nearly midnight, plus bike is covered
so ill post pics in the morning
its almost as though somebody is sitting on your bike
or pushing down on it
i.e. photo 3 car reflection

Last edited:

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually bent the plate back to prevent it from rubbing, the previous owner had his plate ruined by the tire, the preload is at 3

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here you go.
445322a9-1b62-7367.jpg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually bent the plate back to prevent it from rubbing, the previous owner had his plate ruined by the tire, the preload is at 3

If you don't mind me asking, about what do you weigh? I weigh 200lb and have mine set at 6 and is near perfect for my weight.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I weigh about one sixty but I'm 6'4" so I can't afford anything lower than normal IMO. from the picture with the measurement mine looks fine but the clearance between the tire and bottom of exhaust still doesn't look right to me, on my bike.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
On the preload 1 is the lowest setting and 7 being the highest, so if you turn it up a couple notches it will raise that clearance.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'd have much better luck asking for a measurement from the top down. i.e. from the seat a foot peg, the grab bars etc.
Just as Chev pointed out, the suspension set up is a huge variable so the number you seek is basically useless. keep in mind that Yamaha designed the suspension such that it could be completely compressed (Spring setting "DOES NOT MATTER") and NOT have the tire hit the fender.

That shock inside the spring is the limiting factor unless its been modified or had the spring changed. Usually coil over shocks are not allowed to compress to a point of coil stack so its the internal shock and that rubber stopper that limit the minimum compression or how far the tire will go towards the seat during compression.

Again - yes, your bike is low. But the number you need to confirm is that the tire won't eat the plate/tidy. Perhaps Measure forward and Aft???

Notice the Plate is past the tire! It won't get eaten no matter how low the bike gets.

From the side
445322a9-1bb7-1281.jpg

Another but a bad angle. . . Still the plate is past the tire.
DSC_5091TialTidy.jpg

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
i see your problem now
your plate is mounted on the end of the frame where the givi 351fz clips in
on my bike its mounted directly under the tip of exhaust i.e. the stock mounting
if i was you id remount in the stock position for a safer ride