In the Blink of an eye - SEE

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday as I was going to buy my bike tyres, I witnessed a fresh accident scene. Damn, I had seen the biker just a couple of seconds earlier. Thankfully though the biker was not injured badly, but the bike was worse off as was the cager bumper.

From the looks of it the accident was caused by a cager who was coming out of a parking slot. The twat must not have seen my fellow biker because the car was parked on the left side of the road but facing the direction of the incoming bike. (us guys in the Uk ride on the correct side of the road).

Unfortunately I could not stop because I was in a rush, but I wasn't too worried about the biker because I saw him picking himself up.

which brings me to the whole point of this post. when we ride we should use SEE
S - Seek
E - Evaluate
E - Execute

I have plagiarised the following info from this website (No need to reinvent the wheel)

Riding Mental Processing

1. Safe riding habits is more a mental attitude than a physical one.

2. SEE = Search, Evaluate, Execute.

a. Search - Seek aggressively for any possible potential hazards. Look in front, the
side and behind you for potential problems or hazards. Check your blind spots
often.

Scan your environment quickly and learn to prioritize.

#1 - check the road and surface conditions
#2 - traffic control markings and devices
#3 - other vehicles and highway users on the road

b. Evaluate - Anticipate problems and plan ahead. How will the given situation
accumulate to create a single problem? Assume the worst and then plan ahead to
deal with it.

Your safety margin is determined by the following factors:

i. Your capabilities, skills and experience as a rider.
ii. The capabilities and limitations of your motorcycle
iii. The conditions of the road and traffic.

eg. Any solution that is beyond your skill level, the capability of your motorcycle,
or that which is beyond the current road or traffic conditions are not
considerations or viable options.

c. Execute - Superior mental strategy makes superior riding skills unnecessary.
But it would be great to have both. Keep the superior mental strategy always in
mind.

1. Adjust your speed to match traffic and road conditions.

2. Adjust your position in traffic to create more space.

3. Communicate your intentions to traffic so they can anticipate your move and be
aware of your position.
-----

So guys remember to ride safe on the road

chokeslam512

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Visit site
NICE POST!! It's too bad that there aren't as many cager forums where we could post these principles.

I also really like the word twat.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I was taught the SEE process and the IPDE process

I - Identify any hazards
P - predict any situations
D - Decide what is the best route to take
E - Execute that decision

I know its Identify, predict, decide, and execute, but i just made the explanations up b/c i cant remember what they are word for word. I do this at every intersection and anytime a car is on a perpendicular road turning, its 2nd nature now.

wing8872

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the MSF BC course and they do cover SEE. It's a great way to look at things and I use it on both of my bikes and even when driving my truck. It's saved me from a few accidents already and not all of those were when I was riding a motorcycle.

But, I take it a little further. My instructor in the BC said something very interesting in class. I took it to heart and do it also. When on one of my motorcycles, part of my execution includes moving inside the lane so that I can also "step" my way out of danger. Often, that means changing where I am in the lane and so some people think I'm a drunken rider as I move left to right or right to left. I also watch my speed. I'd rather be laughed at for riding slow by a bunch of squids than to risk dying just to feel the thrill of riding fast.

Most people don't understand that they took an oath when they got their licenses (cdls, passenger car, motorcycle, moped, whatever). They don't understand that they agreed to drive in a safe manor looking out for other drivers and situations. Some even refuse to accept that they did.

I also remember a phrase from my driving instructor in high school some 20 years ago. "There are three things you have in any situation. You have right. You have wrong. And, you have dead right. Dead right means you were in the right but you are dead because someone was in the wrong." I never forgot that. I never stand in the way of a competitive jerk and his goals. And, I never stand in the way of an absent minded jerk and his goals either.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh, heh, heh...you sound like I think :)

I couldn't agree with you MORE!!

Kudos!! (OOOooopss...I was responding to "wing8872) :)

Last edited:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was recently driving down a 4 lane road that is a very busy area. I was in the fast lane heading north. Out of the corner of my eye I seen a car coming across the lanes headed east right towards me. The cars in front of me were braking so I was mostly watching them. Then I heard about a 1 second scretch of tires and then heard a car crash into another one. It was the car coming towards me crossing the on coming traffic to my west. It got plowed by a suv right beside me. It scared the sh$t out of me. And even though it took me longer to tell the story this all happend in a blink of an eye.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also watch my speed. I'd rather be laughed at for riding slow by a bunch of squids than to risk dying just to feel the thrill of riding fast.

Just don't ride too slow where you become a hazard. You mentioned that you are constantly changing lines, you should be changing your speed as well to separate from as much traffic or at least allow yourself more distance from the nearest vehicles. After a red light, I usually take off after the first or sometimes 2nd vehicle, but then take off pretty fast to gain maximum separation from the rest of the pack. That's why, pole positon is so important.

m00se86

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished my basic rider's course last weekend, and this is one of the things they stressed the most.

Your mental awareness needs to be on it's A game all the time, and like I keep hearing, you have to ride as if you're invisible to others.

Don't put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation, get the heck out of there!

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I was taught the SEE process and the IPDE process

I - Identify any hazards
P - predict any situations
D - Decide what is the best route to take
E - Execute that decision

I know its Identify, predict, decide, and execute, but i just made the explanations up b/c i cant remember what they are word for word. I do this at every intersection and anytime a car is on a perpendicular road turning, its 2nd nature now.

You mean SIPDE...(Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide and Execute)...

Many people can't remember SIPDE word for word - that's why most MSF and CSC Instructors now teach SEE instead of SIPDE - it's easier to remember and conveys the same principal really...

Last edited: