In-between gear sizes

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I swear I'm in between sizes on every glove & helmet available. My first helmet was a large HJC CL-16. Though I thought it was the perfect size at the time, it ended out being too big on me. 2 years later it moves around on me way too much. My head measures at 58cm, which should be a medium according to ever sizing chart I've seen. I tried on a medium Shoei Qwest a while ago and I thought it fit perfectly. After buying it and wearing it around the house, I started getting a head ache and my nose started to touch the front of the helmet. I ended out returning it and getting a large RF-1100, which I think finally fits perfect. I may have to get thicker cheek pads eventually, but for now it fits fine. So for Shoei I'm a large with thicker cheek pads, HJC I'm definitely a medium, and when I tried on a large AGV I thought my head was in a vice.

Gloves are not any better. I know many brands run small, but most gloves are either too tight or have an extra half inch of room on the end of my thumb. This can be annoying when using my turn signals, but besides that I'm learning to deal with it. Plus my left hand is a little smaller than my right. I think my left is a little bigger than a large, and my right is a little smaller than an XL....lol. Of course up both those sizes with Alpinestars and other brands like that.

Boots are a little better. Sometimes I'm a 13 and other times I'm a 12. Luckily I got the right size for both pairs I bought in the last couple years. Jackets & pants are usually perfect. I'm 6'3, so most overpants have fit perfectly on me.

So, this is my rant for the day... :BLAA:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets and gloves should be very snug when new. Almost uncomfortably snug. They will break in over time and fit perfectly.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets and gloves should be very snug when new. Almost uncomfortably snug. They will break in over time and fit perfectly.

Well like I said, helmets measured for 'my size' were giving me a massive headache and gloves are usually either so tight they are cutting off circulation or they feel too loose. I know how everything is supposed to fit. I'm just in between too many sizes.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Well like I said, helmets measured for 'my size' were giving me a massive headache and gloves are usually either so tight they are cutting off circulation or they feel too loose. I know how everything is supposed to fit. I'm just in between too many sizes.

Also remember that each brand of helmet has a slightly different shape to them and cause pressure points that often cause headaches. This is why so many people, once they find a helmet that works for them, rarely move away from it. I personally love my Shoei RF1000, eventually will move to the 1100. I too required a large with thicker cheek pads to keep it snuggly fit without being a vice on my head. When I visit my brother, I borrow his HJC and that thing gives me a headache within 3 minutes of putting it on.

As others have said, gloves, jackets, helmets, etc should all fit snuggly when new and will break in just enough to be comfortable after a week or two of use. So when in doubt, get the smaller size when you feel you are between sizes.