Improving Low end Torque

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for all the input,I guess i got to live with it.There is really not much to complain about FZ6 for the money that i spend.Some of the smaller CC bikes available locally costs more than FZ6.

I guess some of you guys do agreed that a little more low end torque will make FZ6 a better bike.

You should try the one tooth smaller front sprocket. USD $25. No other changes required. Your OEM chain, and rear sprocket will be fine. The only 'bad' effect will be slightly more speedometer error.

If you don't like it, you can replace your OEM front sprocket.

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
Not that you want another bike, but with your requirements, you may look at the Kawsaki Versys - that bike has a parallel twin motor. Or if you would consider a Ducati, I ride a Multistrada 620. It has a TON of low down grunt, but top end isn't as good as an I-4. However, I would venture that most of folks who enjoy these types of bikes don't need a ton of top end - that's why we aren't riding GSX-R's. Also, I know this is an FZ6 forum, but the Suzuki V-strom 650 is a V-twin that may give you the low-down power you require.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
opening up your exhaust will do the exact opposite of what your looking for.

Torque is directly related to the backpressure of your exhaust gasses, having more free venting (larger exhaust) means you will LOSE downlow torque and replace it along with more horsepower further up the power band.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You have a torquey I4. Go ride a GSXR then get back on the FZ. They are night and day different.

Going up three in the rear sproket is the same as going down one in the front. However with every gearing change you make the worse your speedometer will be and you fuel mileage if you gear it that way.

Over the winter I went up one tooth in the rear and that made enough difference for me. I can now float the front wheel off the ground mid way through the power range in first gear as opposed to the top of the gear when stock. In addition it puts the power range in a more usuable spot at moderate speeds. My speedo is only off now maybe 3% or so... nothing significant.

-bryan

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
You have a torquey I4. Go ride a GSXR then get back on the FZ. They are night and day different.

Going up three in the rear sproket is the same as going down one in the front. However with every gearing change you make the worse your speedometer will be and you fuel mileage if you gear it that way.

Over the winter I went up one tooth in the rear and that made enough difference for me. I can now float the front wheel off the ground mid way through the power range in first gear as opposed to the top of the gear when stock. In addition it puts the power range in a more usuable spot at moderate speeds. My speedo is only off now maybe 3% or so... nothing significant.

-bryan

I guess you're right Bryan,I have never owned a pure sport bike like R6 or gsxr till today.Maybe i'm asking too much from FZ6's natural high rew engine.All my previous rides were mainly nake bikes like Honda CB400,CB750 and CB1000,
and the closest to FZ6 is VFR800FI.FZ6 with a disadvantage of 200CC,I know i should'nt asked to performed like a VFR.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you add a PCIII and pipes, along with a good custom tune you'll end up with something like this:

View attachment 24833

Better torque, but no stump puller.

Here's the Buell comparison, buckets of torque:

Note these were all done on the same dyno so you can compare apples to apples.

View attachment 24834

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
dont know about anybody else, but only time i use 4k revs is when bike is warming, it never goes back down there unless i am at a stop. I also cant say i have ever had a problem with torque at low end, i ride two up and i also got cans and power commander and everything so i lose torque, still no problems :D

Thats just me tho :)

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I came from the SV650 and honestly, the FZ has just about as much torque, to the point you won't even really notice the difference on a ride. Changing the gearing will make an FZ feel as if it has more torque then an sv to.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
There's one other way to increase the low end that nobody has mentioned. Redesign the exhaust and intake. By going with narrower intake runners, and shorter exhaust runners, you can steal some of your top end to increase the bottom end.

(I'm going from memory on this, since I don't have my Four Stroke Bible handy.)

You'd have to retune after doing this, so it's no small endeavor. But it is one way to tweak the engine's behavior.

I didn't say it was easy...

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I think we can all agree that OP has pretty much ignored the one thing he can do that is cheap and easy. :shakehead:

I always make sure the bike I am buying fits my needs at the time I am buying it so I don't run into the problem of wanting something more or different than what I bought.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
well I think we can all agree that we would like to have more downlow torque. Are you saying the entire forum bought a bike thats wrong for us?
Trying to improve what you have doesnt mean you dont like what you started with.

and he already explained why re-gearing isnt doing what he is looking for. he wants MORE TORQUE, not just re-gear it to feel like theres more...

Hopefully one day your perfect-ness will rub off on all of us lesser beings who didnt just buy ducatti to begin with.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
well I think we can all agree that we would like to have more downlow torque. Are you saying the entire forum bought a bike thats wrong for us?
Trying to improve what you have doesnt mean you dont like what you started with.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more out of a bike/car that you purchase. I bought the FZ6 (twice, in fact) knowing that it was not made for low end power/torque. Would I like it, sure I would, but I didn't buy it for that. The cost to turn a high rev I4 into something more inline with a Torquey V-Twin is out of the realm for most of us.

and he already explained why re-gearing isnt doing what he is looking for. he wants MORE TORQUE, not just re-gear it to feel like theres more...

Hopefully one day your perfect-ness will rub off on all of us lesser beings who didnt just buy ducatti to begin with.

Wow! Sensitive much? I'm pretty sure I was referring only to myself, thus the frequent use of I. Perhaps you couldn't read properly through the tears caused by your hurt feelings.

My comment merely pointed out that the OP repeatedly ignored the only thing he could do that was cheap (as he indicated he did NOT want to spend a lot of money) to get at least the feeling that he wanted. Pretty good compromise in my book.

I am hoping to spend my money wisely where i spend most of the time(4-5k rpm)

That part of his post indicates that without radical changes he won't ever get the torque where he wants it. Had he done a little more research (keeping in mind his riding needs), he might have gone a different way and maybe been even happier with his purchase. If most of my time was spent in that RPM range I sure wouldn't be happy with an FZ6.

Sorry if my post made you feel inadequate and less perfect than me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's one other way to increase the low end that nobody has mentioned. Redesign the exhaust and intake. By going with narrower intake runners, and shorter exhaust runners, you can steal some of your top end to increase the bottom end.

(I'm going from memory on this, since I don't have my Four Stroke Bible handy.)

You'd have to retune after doing this, so it's no small endeavor. But it is one way to tweak the engine's behavior.

I didn't say it was easy...

The bible is on my clothing chest, I need to get it back to you. It is actually closer to you, was on the night stand. I'll call you this weekend.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

re gearing will produce more torque over the entire range of the engines output. The only thing that actually gets you moving and then allows you to go faster is that the power is multiplied to the rear wheel. output at the crank only tells half the story........

on a high revving I4, completely reengineering it to produce more torque down low will negate the fact that it even revs that high thus taking the "sport" right out of the equation. It's designed to have it's peak volumetric effiency in the upper rpm ranges so that it can continue to breath and make torque and thus make more horsepower. 163hp/liter naturally aspirated isn't achieved with big down low torque.

my stance is on re gearing.

Not so wild bill

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I must have an unusaul bike but the thing that amazed me getting my fz6 was the amount of torque it has. I don't mean stump pulling wheely mad power but the ability to cruise around in 5th or 6th at moderate speeds and still have throttle response. I am amazed at how many times I have read about the peaky power of the fz6, even yamaha's own ads justifying lowering HP for more torque on the new version. Also to note, I am a hefty(fat) 245lbs.
The fz6 puts my old 700 nighthawk S to shame in all catagories. My first planned power mod is to lose wieght. Cheap, but hard and time consuming!!

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you where to put the bike on a dyno stock, then regear you would see an increase in torque.

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HAHA who would have thought that this would be such a touchy subject, right up there with "will i lose top end speed if i switch to a 15t up front"

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to highlight on my local motorcycle's industrial,there is no test ride allowed in Singapore,unless the bikes is yours.Or find someone who is riding a fazer and find a remote area and do a test ride(Riding without insurance).

The only feedback or research that is available to me is WWW.:BLAA: FZ6 just feels like a 400CC motorcycle to me especially anytime below 5k rpm.I can't sense the "rush" whenever i open out the throttle.