A Day in the Dyno Room

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finished my work early today and headed down to New Braunfels to AF1 Racing and we worked on dynoing the bike today. Man did I learn a lot, more than a lot, a ton, an associates degree in dyno tuning. Honestly I'm really not sure where to begin. :confused:

The fuel delivery on my 11 at around town speeds is okay but not great. It surges at neutral throttle in the 3500 to 5000 rpm range, above 6000 to redline it is stupid fast and the throttle is very good and makes excellent power.

To fix the problem basic information is needed to determine what to change. I've always use an incremental process and documented each change on a dyno. A stock baseline dyno run was run Saturday and the bike performed as advertised; good even, linear hp curve and a very, very flat torque curve. Peak power was 118 on the Factory Pro, in DynoJet speak that is about 137 hp.

In order to properly measure the with 4 Gas EGA out put I had to change the stock exhaust in order to get the 4 Gas probe deep enough into the system. If the probe isn't deep enough the exhaust pulse will pull "clean" air back into the muffler and create a false reading > lean. So I installed a simple Jardine muffler so we could insert the probe about 2 feet.

The second run was done stock with the Jardine. The exhaust worked well improving the mid-range and upper mid-range. The bottom and top ends were about the same.

The 4 Gas reading were within range, a little fat low and way fat up high.

During this run we ran into a few issues, mainly the Air Temp (AT) was about 134 or so on the surface of the airbox. It was 105 ambient temp in the dyno room and the air intake snorkel is located between the two radiators. Not a problem in a cool climate like Troy Wisconsin but an issue in blazing hot Texas. During the run we began to have a misfire problems and then the low fuel light came on. During the testing we used an infrared thermometer to measure the temp of the frame/fuel tank. The lower part of the tank got to 145 F. So we topped the tank off with "cool" 100 degree fuel. During the next run the bike ran much better with the cooler fuel. What we think we discovered is that the fuel is so hot that air bubbles are developing in the fuel line once it leaves the tank and causing the misfire. Not good.

For the next run we removed the airbox top all together. This is a common 11 mod but no one has dynoed it yet. That result was very good. At 7500 rpm we picked up 4.5 hp and at the 10,500 about 5 hp. Not bad for removing four screws. :D

Then we began the "serious" tuning. We installed a flash utility from Ohio Sport Bike. The utility flashes the ECU with the "Buell" race program. The program changes the fuel map, spark map, timing and turns off the O2 sensors. The results of this has been mixed but I've got a connection there and was volunteered the flash because we are doing the research on the dyno. So after a couple of calls to OSB we installed the application and flashed the ECU.

So the next run was the exhaust, the airbox removed and the program. The results were, well terrible. The bike missed severely, was dropping the front cylinder at cruise throttle and we stopped the run at 7,500 rpm. Total failure. :(

We were hoping that OSB would be the silver bullet but no.

At this point we are going to think about next steps and figure out if it makes any sense to install the power commander.

Oh the Jardine sounds KILLER!

Last edited: