1125R PCV Tuning

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here it is folks. Bottomline this bitch makes POWER!

As many of you are aware I'd purchased a Free Spirits full exhaust and a Power Commander V. Last week I dropped the bike off at AF1 Racing in New Braunfels, Texas. AF1 Racing has one of the very best tuners and a really nice guy, period, Micah Shoemaker. Micah has turned other bikes for me and buddies of mine. His results are, well, the best. apriliaforum.com AF1 Racing / Apriliaforum.com : Aprilia Performance Parts and Accessories

AF1 Racing uses a Factory Pro dyno and 4 Gas EGA, not a simple 02 sniffer like DynoJet does. Also the plots are not exaggerated results, like DynoJet. Google "True Horsepower". As a result the numbers will look lower than DJ numbers, but who cares? It's all about relative change; eg: before and after.

Also Factory Pro tunes to CO, CO2, NOX and O2, not just 02. In this case AFVs are not measured, I've no idea what they are/were.

Sooo....here's the story.

I drop the bike off with the PCV and the FS system installed. With the stock PCV map and the FS system we ended up with a really funky plot, lost hp in the mid range and is spiked on the top end, very not 1125R like, more like a 1098. The plots are very similar to Aprilia RSVs with a stock exhaust, not what we are looking for.

Micah's take was the baffles in the mufflers were too restrictive. So he removed them. Needless to say I'm think, ****, those were expensive.

So the next runs are with NO baffles, and the bike is now stupid loud, way too loud for the street. More on that solution later.

With that baffles out he's able to tune the bike resulting in huge gains. +17hp at 6,000 rpm and +12 on the top. The mid range at 40% throttle now makes more power than stock at WFO. Numbers about 124 true hp, or about 138 to 140 hp in DynoJet numbers. 72 true pounds of torque or 84ish DynoJet pounds of torque.

Yes all numbers are corrected and the dyno never varies by more than 1/10hp from day to day.

Key to the plot:

Yellow, bone stock
Blue, Free Spirits with standard PCV map
Red, Tuned results; FS with open mufflers and custom map

So what is the key to this? Tuning to complete combustion not AFV; AFV is a dynamic, ever changing number that doesn't matter. When tuning to complete combustion ths goal is to have the CO at about 5%. Note the lower plots. Red is the CO after tuning, yellow and blue are prior. Note the much higher levels of CO, in other words, fat. Leaning the bike out makes power when tuned to 5% CO.

wideband o2 sensor vs 4 gas EGA tuning

The next phase is getting the sound down to a reasonable level. We are looking at removing the FS mufflers, making a merge pipe with a taper and then going into a large volume muffler, large muffler = large torque. There are two options, one medium muffler on each side of the bike, or one larger muffler on the non-drive side. Dunno yet. Micah owns an Aprilia dealership so we'll find a muffler that will work. Akrapovic carbon would be cool.

Finally, here's the email Micah sent, I pick the bike up Saturday.

"Tuning is done. Yes, the noise is insane and here I sit with a head not quite right and an upset tummy but….how does 15 ft/lbs gained at just 6k rpm and 17 bhp at 6k, carrying a gain of over 12 bhp to rev limit sound? That part sounds very good, it just needed to breathe. Now at 40% throttle and 6k rpm, you are making more power than you were wide open at the same rpm either stock or as delivered this time!

The real solution to the noise issue will have to be sorted by a custom exhaust shop like Muffin in Austin. You need to extend the collectors and add full length silencers hangin off the right side of the bike. I have a pretty good idea of what you need to do, and with that will come more midrange yet…imagine that!

Micah

Included is the dyno from dead stock (yellow), the way you brought it in this time (blue) and the way it is leaving…think the results are nothing short of amazing!"

View attachment 24799

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very impressive!

I know it a little pricey getting a good tune but well worth the bucks if you can get it done especially by a tuner with a rep.

I ride with a lot of friends with Busa's and other liter bikes and can attest that having a tuned FZ6 makes a difference when we go out and play.

Pete, those number are awesome! YeeeeeHaaaaa!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff. I think I'm going to be scared to ride this thing.

You know many people say the cost of tuning is expensive but the way I look at it, it isn't.

Say you buy a new bike, FZ6 ~ $7,500 - $8,500 OTD. Buy an exhaust, some other bling, etc. and pretty soon you're are at $10,000. A good tune is about $350.00 or so. The cool thing is once you have the bike tuned it will always be tuned. Where as a set of tires, chains, gears, etc. it will never wear out. The benefits are great, smoother running bike, better throttle response, more power, more torque, and often better mileage. For the cost of an aftermarket exhaust system one can have a great running bike that is even more fun to ride, and riding motorcycles is all about fun anyway. :D