I'm suffering from MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome)

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some of the MBS warning signs that you (or your significant other) should be aware of:
1) You go to a motorcycle dealer you find yourself looking at other bikes on display with keen interest, even though you’ve got a fully competent ride;
2) You find yourself taking motorcycles out on test rides even though you have no plans to buy one;
3) You find yourself browsing through sites like Cycle Trader during your lunch break, hoping to find that “special deal”.wbw
I'm thinking of selling the GS and drinking some orange kool-aid.:sinister:
2012-ktm-690-enduro-r-quick-look%204.jpg

2012-ktm-690-enduro-r-quick-look%203.jpg

attachment.php

g1_9.jpg
(supermoto wheels :drool: )

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wanted a KTM - sexy machines. This guy used to drive by my house in the city daily a few years back - always popping wheelies out of 2nd...just something about the KTM gets me going.

Good choice :rockon:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had MBS for years, you learn to live with it :) Keep the GS and go Orange- two different bikes are a good thing!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing more offroading, and the GS is a 500lbs pig. Really, it weighs close to 500lbs!
With camping gear, it would be slightly more than 500lbs. Sucks to lift a bike like that out of a creek bed.

I'd suffer a bit on the highway to get better performance offroad.

I called the nearest KTM dealership today and they said they're only getting 3 of those bikes this year. They don't normally do testrides. How am I going to figure out if I like this bike? Kinda lame....

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
Well since you say you have the MBS. This definitely won't be your last bike. I say go for it.:rockon:

I think I has a touch of the MBS myself...

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, I was thinking...when is OMG_WTF going to post in MY thread!!?!? haha

So....first of all....DO IT!!!

That bike will run circles around the BMW off road and will be no slouch on the pavement. I thought the 690 was going to be my next dual sport for quite some time. Recently I decided instead of getting another middleweight I'd get the 950 SE-R and a cheap 2 stroke 250 dirt bike for gnar gnar trail riding (or maybe a 400 w/ plus a set of motard wheels for super motard track days). Point is, I did the 6XX cc KTM dual sport / ADV bike thing and absolutely loved it but am moving on for the time being.

So yes, you will LOVE this bike. Don't get me wrong, the BMW is awesome, but KTM's perform. You'll certainly have more maintenace but that is the cost of performance and a 3,000 mile valve check interval and oil change is not bad at all.

If I were you I'd buy a used one that only has a few thousand miles on it and already has a larger tank, aftermarket seat, and some saddleag racks. You'll get a much better value and going this route will solve your test ride problem.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
if you only have one bike, its not MBS, is it? there's no perfect all round bike, so for perfect off road and perfect endurance riding you would need two. the f800gs (the ktm adventures are great dont get me wrong) is as close to the happy median as youll get. but if its more off-roady you want, a full on woods bike is what you're after, and the 500 still has enough stones to get you down the highway if necessary.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
if you only have one bike, its not MBS, is it? there's no perfect all round bike, so for perfect off road and perfect endurance riding you would need two. the f800gs (the ktm adventures are great dont get me wrong) is as close to the happy median as youll get. but if its more off-roady you want, a full on woods bike is what you're after, and the 500 still has enough stones to get you down the highway if necessary.

I don't know about that...the Suzuki vstrom dl650 or dl1000 is just about as close to a perfect all around bike you can get, preferable the 650 because it's more agile on and off road with a lower center of gravity. Perfectly capable of doing cross country trips, and more then able to show up the "big bikes" off road while still being able to toss it around some corners. IMHO I your looking for the one bike to do anything and everything well that is the bike to get, are there better bikes off road? Sure! Are there better bikes on road? Sure! But Suzuki has found that perfect blend of on and off road capabilities IMO... Especially for the price of the bike!!!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
meh, the suzukis are great bikes but don't offer the same smiles per gallon that the higher performing Euro bikes do....they are simply not as good and that is why they cost less. And FWIW, I've owned a DR650 adn have logged many miles in varried terrain on a DL1000.

I lust after the 500 EXC but it's a big bore plated dirt bike, not a dual sport.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Big dual sport or small adventure bike.....dunno.....the 690 can go either way. I'm not an expert in this stuff so I can't add to the debate. I'm just a wannabe dirt rider. I have awesome survival skillz, I will say that! That's where I shine! HAHAHA!

I do have the strong opinion that if you want a high performance v. low weight bike like this it's going to be the ktm 690 or husky te 630. If not then let me know, I'm going to check out some dealerships tomorrow so..........

I want a small adv bike so I'm going to add a big tank from rally raid, get a windscreen for it somewhere...not the full rally fairing though, probably more comfy seat....that's it! No more Touratech aluminum panniers. Just soft bags....

Actually I already have a huge list of mods....it is growing. New exhaust, air filter, hand guards....it'll come together in time. Mostly small stuff. I'm going to be wrenching all weekend to part out my GS mods. Need to sell it asap for the $$$ for the KTM....

If I were you I'd buy a used one that only has a few thousand miles on it and already has a larger tank, aftermarket seat, and some saddleag racks. You'll get a much better value and going this route will solve your test ride problem.

Yeah yeah...logic....but I'm not going to listen.....:rolleyes:
The 2012 does have some improvements....

40490d1329797241-im-suffering-mbs-multiple-bike-syndrome-street_models_my12_690enduro.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the strong opinion that if you want a high performance v. low weight bike like this it's going to be the ktm 690 or husky te 630. If not then let me know, I'm going to check out some dealerships tomorrow so..........

I want a small adv bike so I'm going to add a big tank from rally raid, get a windscreen for it somewhere...not the full rally fairing though, probably more comfy seat....that's it! No more Touratech aluminum panniers. Just soft bags....

You're on the right track...

Tank, hand guards, seat or at least a good pad, uncork it, water proof soft tank bag and saddle bags, perhaps a mini-windscreen...and hit the road.

5025302342_0d45416491_b.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fully understand.

I've been on the hunt for a Yamaha WR250R, the street legal one. The problem, they are far and few, and when they are for sale they are expensive. But, it's a killer bike.

The Ape is a neat bike on paper but from what I've read on the Aprilia forum the quality is sketchy, and there's not much aftermarket.