Im scared to take anyone for a ride

LexusFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i just thought to share this problem with you guys hoping that someone can tell me why i am so scared to take some1 for a ride this might be stupid but i have to ask , I got my FZ6 last summer I was doing a research came over to this sit and I was in love ( FZ6 ) or NOTHING lol that's what i said to my wife ... first ride and i went down long story short got some new headlight and front fairing now after doing alot of driving my wife thought that i'm safe to go on a ride with so she asked asked me to take her for a ride i said ok lets go ..

the minute she went on the bike i said to my self you can't do it not yet she might get hurt ..

I have taking course i have been driving for 5-6 months i feel like im in control when i drive by myself

she is only 115 pounds

anyone had that feeling b4 or is it just me :confused:
is it any different when you have a passenger with you ..

any help would be appreciated

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have only ever had two people ride with me, one was my ex girlfriend after I got the bike and the other is my wife. Riding two up requries some trust between you and the passenger. You need to have an understanding of what to do at different times when things come up, like turns, stops, and everything in between. I've always said to do as I do when riding, if I lean, you lean with me. Also get them to either hang on to you or the handles that are on the bike. The FZ6 has great handles for the passenger.

It takes some confidence on your part to as the driver as well. You need to be mindful when stopping, and taking off. You have some extra weight on the bike and you will feel it when you do these things, also the amount of shifting your passenger does effects you too.

I've tried two different ways to get the passenger on the bike, they get on first or I get on first. I perfer to be on first and let them use me to get on as I stablize the bike.

Riding two up is fun to do. I would say go for it, start out small and ride in well known areas so there aren't any suprises or heavy traffic to deal with.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
If your not comfortable,then don't do it,full stop.You're going to be concentrating on the pillion more than your riding.

I wont let my missus on the back of mine for very different reasons
I know it's a thing we don't like to think about,but I've got two young kids and if we were killed in an accident,it would leave them as orphans.She rides,but separately.That way at least they will have one or the other of us to look after them.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your not comfortable,then don't do it,full stop.You're going to be concentrating on the pillion more than your riding.

I wont let my missus on the back of mine for very different reasons
I know it's a thing we don't like to think about,but I've got two young kids and if we were killed in an accident,it would leave them as orphans.She rides,but separately.That way at least they will have one or the other of us to look after them.
I understand what you're saying but do you drive together? You could just as easily have an accident in a car.

Anyone can get on the back of a bike, but not everyone can be a good pillion.

Bottom line is - if you don't feel comfortable with your partner being on the back of the bike, then don't do it. :)

fredraction

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to chime in with the sentiment - if you're not comfortable, don't do it yet.

The rider course it a must, but qualifies you to rind in a parking lot. And in 5 -6 months of riding it's unlikely that you've seen enough real-world situations to hone your emergency maneuver skills. Wait until you're so comfortable yourself that you don't even think about it any more and then take on the responsibility for someone else's safety. IMHO

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I always tell the passenger to "Look into the turns", - so if the road turns left, look over my left shoulder, when it turns right, look over my right shoulder.
This makes it impossible for them to "counter lean".

That being said, I have also learned from experience that leaning seems to be the main issue for new passengers.
I did a normal lean in once with a passenger on the back, - and she felt (in he own words) that we were getting "to close to the tarmac" so she counter leaned ....,- I had the feeling that my rear wheel was overtaking me for a while :eek: ....
Luckily I managed to control the bike, and get it in balance again, but that experience showed me the hard way to ALWAYS ALWAYS go gentle and slower than normal with a passenger. And always feel where your passenger is, - both in mind and body.

So yes, - I agree with some of the other comments, - if you still need to concentrate on operating your bike, - don't take passengers!!
It's "Twist of a wrist" logic once again, - you only have a dollar of concentration, - so if you use 50 cent on handling the bike, and 50 cent on handling your passenger, - there is just nothing left for the unexpected!!

One thing is pushing the limit when you are alone on the bike, - but doing it with a passenger, - is just not acceptable.

Just my 2 cents :)

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I always tell the passenger to "Look into the turns", - so if the road turns left, look over my left shoulder, when it turns right, look over my right shoulder.
This makes it impossible for them to "counter lean".

This is something I tell all my passengers as well. It's a very good tip.

I'll also second the comment to not take someone if you aren't confident and comfortable doing so.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i just thought to share this problem with you guys hoping that someone can tell me why i am so scared to take some1 for a ride this might be stupid but i have to ask , I got my FZ6 last summer I was doing a research came over to this sit and I was in love ( FZ6 ) or NOTHING lol that's what i said to my wife ... first ride and i went down long story short got some new headlight and front fairing now after doing alot of driving my wife thought that i'm safe to go on a ride with so she asked asked me to take her for a ride i said ok lets go ..

the minute she went on the bike i said to my self you can't do it not yet she might get hurt ..

I have taking course i have been driving for 5-6 months i feel like im in control when i drive by myself

she is only 115 pounds

anyone had that feeling b4 or is it just me :confused:
is it any different when you have a passenger with you ..

any help would be appreciated

One of my thoughts when I decided to get a bike last year was that I could drop of my 4 years old daughter at kindergarden (1 km drive from home), and then head off to work on the bike. So far I do not feel confident enough to do so, and have told her that it'll have to wait 'til next year.

I had no problems riding around with a 200 pound instructor on the back of a Honda CBF500 during training, but a 30-35 pund girl on my FZ6...? No way! The clutch on my bike is almost an on/off clutch (little or no inbetween), so my confidence in stop/start and low speed situations is still not up to 100%. Until I feel that enough of the bike handling is by instinct and not by deliberate actions, I do not want even more to worry about. :(

On days with "bike weather" (still cold here in :norway:), I drive my daughter to kindergarden in the car, return home and get into ATGATT-mode before riding my FZ6 to work. It takes longer than just driving the car, but it's a lot nicer on the bike. ;)

Just my 2 cents...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I do agree with many here: if you do not feel comfortable then don't do it.

But I suggest you, before seriously considering riding with a passanger, first to get used to the bike, so riding and handling it becomes much more natural. Second, find a way of you riding as a passanger. That way you now how it feels like and could probably answer many questions you have about it and also be able to explain first hand what your potential passanger could do or should not do.

It's all a matter of practice and knowing where your limits are.

Good luck,

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried two different ways to get the passenger on the bike, they get on first or I get on first. I perfer to be on first and let them use me to get on as I stablize the bike.

hummmm that I was not aware!!!! (passanger first and then you!!!!)
I've always been first in the bike with both my feet planted on the ground!!!!
Now, the way the passenger gets in the bike differs:
1. One foot on a foot peg. The other foot up and over the bike (this is kind of dangerous since based on the weigh of the passenger, it makes the bike move quite a bit!!!!
2. One foot on the ground, second foot up and over the bike to rest on the foot peg (on the other side) then center the weigh on the seat and foot of the ground to rest on the other foot peg.

Are there better (more proper) ways of doing this?

Thanks,

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
hummmm that I was not aware!!!! (passanger first and then you!!!!)
I've always been first in the bike with both my feet planted on the ground!!!!
Now, the way the passenger gets in the bike differs:
1. One foot on a foot peg. The other foot up and over the bike (this is kind of dangerous since based on the weigh of the passenger, it makes the bike move quite a bit!!!!
2. One foot on the ground, second foot up and over the bike to rest on the foot peg (on the other side) then center the weigh on the seat and foot of the ground to rest on the other foot peg.

Are there better (more proper) ways of doing this?

Thanks,

It was kinda a suprise for me when it happened. I was putting on my helmet and she jumped onto the back seat.. I perfer to have control of the bike first and it gives me an easier time getting my leg around.

I would like to make the comment that your confidence in riding and skill need to be at a comfortable level before you try two up. I just don't want to discourage someone who may be ready to do so. I feel it's kind of like the threads about riders who are afraid or shy about really opening up their FZ6. Most like to jump on there and tell them they aren't living till they do so. I wouldn't recomend doing that with your passenger because they might not be with you after you get up to speed. :spank:

I have known friends who wanted to take someone for a ride then crash because they hit gravel, and their passenger seemed to take the brunt of the crash. This may have been because the passenger wasn't wearing gear/ proper gear. I guess the point here would be not to skimp out on gear for her just because she's a passenger.

LexusFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It was kinda a suprise for me when it happened. I was putting on my helmet and she jumped onto the back seat.. I perfer to have control of the bike first and it gives me an easier time getting my leg around.

I would like to make the comment that your confidence in riding and skill need to be at a comfortable level before you try two up. I just don't want to discourage someone who may be ready to do so. I feel it's kind of like the threads about riders who are afraid or shy about really opening up their FZ6. Most like to jump on there and tell them they aren't living till they do so. I wouldn't recomend doing that with your passenger because they might not be with you after you get up to speed. :spank:

I have known friends who wanted to take someone for a ride then crash because they hit gravel, and their passenger seemed to take the brunt of the crash. This may have been because the passenger wasn't wearing gear/ proper gear. I guess the point here would be not to skimp out on gear for her just because she's a passenger.

thank you so much man you guys helped a lot i have a 6 year old and your right i want him to have his mom if I'm not there I have full gear for me but only a helmet and gloves for her because i wasn't going to ride with her on the back of the bike anytime soon i wanted to wait but she asked and you know i really felt the wight when she went on the bike thats what made me stop and tell her i wasn't ready

I will wait till I know I can do it or maybe I'll take her mom first :thumbup: ya jk thank you thou for everthing

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I can relate 100%.
My wife wants to ride with me. I`m reluctant for obvious reasons.
The last time I rode, a guy came around a corner toward me partially in my lane. He had his head ****ed sideways. I think he had a cell phone to his ear.
It is much easier to avoid a crash when riding one up.
Now days, my biggest fear is deer and cell phone users.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
i must say that i feel better if i have my wife on the bike with me, the bike feels more "connected" to the road i dont know but i go faster on the corners with her on instead if im alone! dont think im doing like valentino rossi with her on i just feel more comfortable (?!?) and more have more comfidence she is 110 pounds = 49.8951607 kilograms

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but do you drive together? You could just as easily have an accident in a car.

Anyone can get on the back of a bike, but not everyone can be a good pillion.

Bottom line is - if you don't feel comfortable with your partner being on the back of the bike, then don't do it. :)

I drive a (Ahem) Volvo and the risk is obviously decreased by a hundredfold in that,with its multiple airbags etc.
I have at least a couple of near misses each time I'm out and the risk as a parent is just too great to put us both in that kind of danger.
Maybe when the kids have grown up (ones 3 the other 9) then we can go touring together or the like ;)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
thank you so much man you guys helped a lot i have a 6 year old and your right i want him to have his mom if I'm not there I have full gear for me but only a helmet and gloves for her because i wasn't going to ride with her on the back of the bike anytime soon i wanted to wait but she asked and you know i really felt the wight when she went on the bike thats what made me stop and tell her i wasn't ready

I will wait till I know I can do it or maybe I'll take her mom first :thumbup: ya jk thank you thou for everthing

I've had a few passengers over the years...... and almost all of them were terrible at it. Really messed with the handling of the bike, and changed every aspect of how it turns, stops, accelerates. A big bag of water on the back would have been easier. :)

The one exception to this sad situation, was a buddy who needed a lift to get his H-D from the shop. He had attended MSF training, and knew how to ride, and ride well.:thumbup:

His understanding of what was involved, and his personal experience made MY bike ride like it was on rails. A truly amazing difference.

Another vote here, for don't do it until you are comfortable. If after a year without having any issues ON YOUR OWN, you probably have enough 'seat time' to make reasonable judgments about what is an acceptable risk....... At that point, have your missus attend the MSF if it's available to you.

The Experienced Rider course used to be offered where you used your own bike, and if you could bring your passenger. This would be the appropriate way to ensure that you and your wife would do the right things, together, on the bike. Trust me, nothing s*cks more for a couple, than to try and teach one of them something........ MUCH easier for an outside party to do so.:rockon:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a few times where I have wanted to ride my bike somewhere where my girlfriend was also headed and either had to forgo riding or force her to ride separately, so I've been considering getting another helmet and gear for her. I just started riding last year and am just now getting comfortable on the FZ6 (had a couple other bikes before this - I know, ridiculous in such a short amount of time). Anyways, I wanted to wait a full year out of principle, but the plan is only short trips (within 5 miles probably) and I feel comfortable enough to start small like that.

However, I met up with her the other day and as I go to turn the bike around to park it slowly in the parking lot, I nearly dropped it in front of her. Funny enough, that was the first time I've came so close to dropping the bike, but I just happened to do it with her watching. Now she isn't as keen on hopping on it with me. Of all the things to be concerned with while riding two-up, dropping it at 1/2 mph was pretty low on the list for me, but that was enough to have her reconsider the endeavor.

Probably for the best, though. I really would like some more time in the saddle.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
This was an issue for me too. Then I just bit the bullet and took a pillion, I've found the bike feels more "planted" when two up. Some advice I was given and some I've picked up myself.

Give yourself more stopping distance.

More throttle when pulling away (obviously) as it's quite easy to stall giving it normal gas/clutch combo'

Accelerate smoothly, it's not clever having your pillions legs come up under your arms.

If your pillion gets a "wedgy", itchy nipple or starts to take a fit, tell them to live with it until you're on a straight, you don't want them shifting their weight about and getting their **** together when your half way round a bend.

Don't have them sit too close, you'll get a bad back ache and wrists trying to hold their weight off you.

If they're not happy about anything a pat on your shoulder to signal you to pull over. You may be going too fast for them, they may want to go faster, they may have a wasp in their lid, they may want to get the bus home:eek:

Tell them not to actually lean, they can over do it, just follow (stay parallel) to you. The looking over the shoulder of direction is a good tip:thumbup:

Practice on roads you know that are easy rides and leave the "u" turns and stuff until you're proficient. There's no shame in your pillion getting off while turn your bike round, it's got more chance of staying upright.

Be smooth:rockon:

LexusFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This was an issue for me too. Then I just bit the bullet and took a pillion, I've found the bike feels more "planted" when two up. Some advice I was given and some I've picked up myself.

Give yourself more stopping distance.

More throttle when pulling away (obviously) as it's quite easy to stall giving it normal gas/clutch combo'

Accelerate smoothly, it's not clever having your pillions legs come up under your arms.

If your pillion gets a "wedgy", itchy nipple or starts to take a fit, tell them to live with it until you're on a straight, you don't want them shifting their weight about and getting their **** together when your half way round a bend.

Don't have them sit too close, you'll get a bad back ache and wrists trying to hold their weight off you.

If they're not happy about anything a pat on your shoulder to signal you to pull over. You may be going too fast for them, they may want to go faster, they may have a wasp in their lid, they may want to get the bus home:eek:

Tell them not to actually lean, they can over do it, just follow (stay parallel) to you. The looking over the shoulder of direction is a good tip:thumbup:

Practice on roads you know that are easy rides and leave the "u" turns and stuff until you're proficient. There's no shame in your pillion getting off while turn your bike round, it's got more chance of staying upright.

Be smooth:rockon:

Sweet I'm going to show this to my wife lol thank you for the tip man :D:thumbup::thumbup: