IJET's FZ6 CUP bike - Trackday photos - UPDATE

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some extra photos of the cup bike at the last track day I did on the 19th of March. The guy on the number 41 Rizla GSXR600 is my good mate Joe. Still working on my lines and body position. You wouldn't think you would loose touch so easily but it had been a good 8 months since I was out on the track and it certainly took a little while to get back in the groove and pick up all the correct lines again. I have one more track day in 2 weeks time than a Race meeting in July followed by the 4 hour endurance race at the beginning of August.

Once the enduro is finished i'll be stripping her down to do a valve adjustment, install R6 cams, R6 headers, ram air intake + a power commander & get it all dyno tuned. Really looking forward to that!

I've also made a small nose cone / number board for the front which will be going on before the next race meeting.

sy8fZ1t.jpg

d4YA4kh.jpg

czmJHqB.jpg

k6Yfqwv.jpg

huU4GbE.jpg

lfbnIjf.jpg

b4ySUy3.jpg

hUeQyOS.jpg

3IFkIZa.jpg

w1KHNqe.jpg

iwn5prT.jpg

0vCAa48.jpg

vuxk7d0.jpg

zlTeGR2.jpg

JoTLBgd.jpg

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks amazing man. I love the naked mostly murdered out look though and it is contrasted wonderfully by the wheels and modest stripe. Aesthetically I would say leave the cone off, but obviously it has a purpose aerodynamically.

I have always wanted to do a track day, looks like a ton of fun!

Let us know how the races go.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Yes, so how are you and the bike performing? And more important - ARE YOU HAVING FUN???!!!!

Corners, straights, braking, passing? How are you stacking up against other 600cc bikes?

Any pictures while going straight down the track, i.e. from the side and not leaned over?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, like Final Impact i am wondering how a pimped up FZ6 stack up against other track bikes?

Also, where did you get the small sliders/protectors mounted at the bottom of the engine casing on the left side?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, like Final Impact i am wondering how a pimped up FZ6 stack up against other track bikes?

Also, where did you get the small sliders/protectors mounted at the bottom of the engine casing on the left side?

Look at the race shops, pretty common hardware fitted to the R6... However, due to your location, I'm not sure what your best option is...

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Look at the race shops, pretty common hardware fitted to the R6... However, due to your location, I'm not sure what your best option is...

Indeed it is, apparently the case sliders for the fz6R should work on the FZ6!

Not sure how useful they are but i like them, might get a set...

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the whole lower setup, I have been toying with getting a cage of sorts for the lower just for added protection in the city... anyone have any links/recommendations?

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks amazing man. I love the naked mostly murdered out look though and it is contrasted wonderfully by the wheels and modest stripe. Aesthetically I would say leave the cone off, but obviously it has a purpose aerodynamically.

Thanks Brackson, I also like the naked look. Its not really a nose cone i'm putting on, more of a number board. Just need something to display a race number on. Note its only just resting there in the photos, the exact angle / height will be adjusted when I finish making the mount for it.

BkD3kYI.jpg

GxZmSqZ.jpg

^^ Yes, so how are you and the bike performing? And more important - ARE YOU HAVING FUN???!!!!

Corners, straights, braking, passing? How are you stacking up against other 600cc bikes?

Any pictures while going straight down the track, i.e. from the side and not leaned over?

Yes i'm having a lot of fun although the last two track days were some what stressful as the rear shock required quite a lot of setting up and fine tuning after the spring change. We have it pretty close to perfect now. Will need more fine tuning as my corner speed improves.

The little FZ6 does quite well against other 600's. It holds its own in the corners and under brakes. It is the straights that you see a bit of difference. I was circulating with my friend Joe, he rides a k7 gsxr600 - it has a full exhaust, bazzaz unit and quick shifter. We would come through the last turn at the same speed sometimes side by side and stay that way untill we both got to high revs in 3rd. At that point he would start pulling away ever so slightly. By the end of the straight he would be about 1 - 1.5 bike lengths away which is really not very much when your going 230 km/hr. Just for reference, a similarly set up 2006 onwards R6 pulls away from my friends k7 gixxer at about the same rate that the gixxer pulls away from the FZ6 - That is with riders of a similar skill level. Still not much between all three bikes but its enough to loose the drag race from the last corner to the finish line.

Sorry no pics from the main straight, there is a couple of photos above where the bike is nearly stood up coming onto the back straight.

The engine slider I designed my self and had a local machine shop machine it up from high tensile alloy. I than used two small lengths of stainless tube to space it out from the mounting face of the engine cover bolts. Turned out pretty good. I will be doing a similar one for the right hand side eventually. The right hand side doesn't stick out like the left side does so not as important. I can send you a model file that can be used on any decent CNC machine. Just don't go selling them.

hO155h6.jpg

qdYHlWo.png

qwtcbQt.jpg

I really like the whole lower setup, I have been toying with getting a cage of sorts for the lower just for added protection in the city... anyone have any links/recommendations?

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the belly pan or crash bars? I just googled fz6 crash bars and there were a different types that popped up. These ones look pretty beefy

IMG_0733.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing and Great Effort out there! We're ALL Cheering for you!!!

Just an observation and run it past your friends but if your corner entry is an issue give this some thought - i.e. if the back is unsettled during the off the throttle transition, you may want to shorten the length of the rear shock. The reason I say this is your trail angle on your swing arm seems a little steep. In short the engine torque will change the trail angle more when its at steeper angle as it has more leverage the further down it is than when its straight out the back.

Obviously you loose ground clearance and will have to adjust the forks in the stanchion (assuming nothing hits there too). An added benefit if you CAN AFFORD the lost ground clearance is a lower CG.

I see the zip ties on the stanchion, are you really using all the travel it has? It looks possible (depending on when you reset them).

Anyway - I'm not saying you want the swing arm parallel to the ground, just less of an angle so it reacts less. Make sense?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I want the strength of the crash bars you found in the last pic in the post, but the look of your belly pan....incognito crash bars?

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been a bit distant from this forum for a while now. Reason being my FZ6 has sat stationary since 2014. Its been started up and kept in good order but hasn't been ridden.

I've began to prep the bike again, i'm ready to do some more track days. I'm going to use this thread to keep track of any progress & mods I do to the bike.
I pulled it out of the shed a few weeks ago & gave it a good clean. I had a good look over it. Drained & flushed the cooling system. Charge up the battery. Put some fresh fuel in her & she fired up straight away.

Decided to move away from the clip on's. I'm more into upright bikes these days & it will make it more fun to ride (less serious)

Installed a set Renthal 658 drag bars. Very similar to FZ1 bars with less pull back. Pretty happy with how they look on the bike. Overall, looks a lot better with upright bars opposed to clip ons. I'm also now able to remove the massively restricted steering stop. Soooo much easier to push around now. It had barely any steering lock with clip ons.

IU0B9Au.jpg

rnRp4UU.jpg

RTm2Ax2.jpg

5mrTdYM.jpg

1kfUJjZ.jpg

0fAsoXc.jpg

Next on the list of jobs is to:
*Flush brake fluid.
*Install PC3.
*Further Airbox mods.

(many more jobs to do but lets not get ahead of ourselves)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been a bit distant from this forum for a while now. Reason being my FZ6 has sat stationary since 2014. Its been started up and kept in good order but hasn't been ridden.

I've began to prep the bike again, i'm ready to do some more track days. I'm going to use this thread to keep track of any progress & mods I do to the bike.
I pulled it out of the shed a few weeks ago & gave it a good clean. I had a good look over it. Drained & flushed the cooling system. Charge up the battery. Put some fresh fuel in her & she fired up straight away.

Decided to move away from the clip on's. I'm more into upright bikes these days & it will make it more fun to ride (less serious)

Installed a set Renthal 658 drag bars. Very similar to FZ1 bars with less pull back. Pretty happy with how they look on the bike. Overall, looks a lot better with upright bars opposed to clip ons. I'm also now able to remove the massively restricted steering stop. Soooo much easier to push around now. It had barely any steering lock with clip ons.

IU0B9Au.jpg

rnRp4UU.jpg

RTm2Ax2.jpg

5mrTdYM.jpg

1kfUJjZ.jpg

0fAsoXc.jpg

Next on the list of jobs is to:
*Flush brake fluid.
*Install PC3.
*Further Airbox mods.

(many more jobs to do but lets not get ahead of ourselves)

Good to see you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Love your bike! I've been using it as the basis for my bike, but I'm a long way off.

How do you like your tank grips on the side where they're at? I had mine there originally, but moved them down slightly because I felt my leg was hitting the bottom portion of them only.

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks benji. I find the location good for me. If you look closely at some of the pics on page one you will see that the rear sets and fiberglass seat places your knees up higher compared to the standard bike.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly hadn't thought of that, I have rearset plates to move mine OEM ones up and back, but I'm running the stock seat unit.

It's hard to judge from the photos, but it doesn't look like my peg height is too far off from yours.

xx8qk0f.jpg

Last edited:

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Small update:

Installed the pc3 I bought from another member on here. Was super easy to install as it plugs straight into the fuel injection loom. No fiddling around with individual injector plugs. I've loaded up a map from the power commander website for now. Custom map will come a little later.

bAPIogJ.jpg
FHCdS92.jpg

Pulled off my whole exhaust system to make way for a set of 2004 R6 headers.

5SJogpu.jpg

bbLn6T6.jpg

Just kisses the sump in one spot. I'm not too concerned about this.

CeZlmWr.jpg

Will fabricate a bracket to pick up the existing mount behind the frame here

hV8764d.jpg

Will use the gytr undertail muffler on its side. Just need to decide on low mount or high mount.

VxUqJ4M.jpg

v5apw6Y.jpg

I'm leaning towards high mount at this stage. I'll have my friend Joe from 'big joe choppers' weld up a link pipe using the left over undertail mid pipe. He does a lot of custom fab work and exhaust systems for HD's.

Next on my to do list:
1. modify airbox
2. sort out front brake lines (they need re-routing after installing the renthal bars and then full fluid flush)
3. take bike to Joes place to finish exhaust.
4. oil and filter change
5. new hoops

Once that's all sorted i'll head back to the track for a shake down. I'm really keen to try the bike with these bars, I've only ridden it with clip on's since I've owned it.
Plenty more upgrades left to do (cams!) but first i need to get back out on the track again.

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry SIMN nothing to update lately, I've been super busy with work and touring on my road bike a fair bit. The FZ6 has been put on the back burner for a little while. Planning to get the exhaust finished later this month and do the brake lines and airbox in early December. I'll update the thread as it happens. After talking with Joe, we decided the high mount muffler will work best.

Thanks