Ignition question...

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
So I swapped the stock front end for an 06' ZX6R front end. It's all done, minus the ignition. Those damn security measures on the stock ignition got to me and I pretty much destroyed the ignition. Long story short, I cut the 5 wires and have no ignition.

Here's the question...

I have the 5 wires (orange, red, brown, and two smaller wires) free and moved back to the middle of the bike. I want to just run an on/off switch to turn on the ignition. I don't need a key or anything. The bike is parked in my garage all the time and we have covered secured parking at work. I rarely leave my bike unattended.

What wires need to be switched to turn the bike on?

I'll probably buy a new ignition, but in the meantime I need my bike functional. Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I've searched and scoured the manual and can't find the answer. The wiring diagram in the service manual was no help.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 5 wires (orange, red, brown, and two smaller wires) free and moved back to the middle of the bike.

What wires need to be switched to turn the bike on?

Hmm. . .
Schematic shows 4 wires. Red is HOT from the battery, its switches all others on. I'm not sure what is missing that you have??

I'm not sure what you have left on the switch, but if ANY of the colors remain:
* Turn the switch OFF - ohm out what connects are TIED and what is OPEN.
* Turn the switch ON - ohm out what connections are TIED and those which are open (if any)

RED = Supply +12V
Br/L = Brown/Blue =51. Signal fuse, 52. Headlight fuse, 53. Ignition fuse, 54. Tail fuse
L/B = Blue/Black = 10. Starting circuit cut-off relay, 60. Clutch switch
B/R = B/R Black/Red = 21. ECU

Let me know if you need a hand. And what is the other color not listed?

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. . .
Schematic shows 4 wires. Red is HOT from the battery, its switches all others on. I'm not sure what is missing that you have??

I'm not sure what you have left on the switch, but if ANY of the colors remain:
* Turn the switch OFF - ohm out what connects are TIED and what is OPEN.
* Turn the switch ON - ohm out what connections are TIED and those which are open (if any)

RED = Supply +12V
Br/L = Brown/Blue =51. Signal fuse, 52. Headlight fuse, 53. Ignition fuse, 54. Tail fuse
L/B = Blue/Black = 10. Starting circuit cut-off relay, 60. Clutch switch
B/R = B/R Black/Red = 21. ECU

Let me know if you need a hand. And what is the other color not listed?

It has the solid red, orange and brown in a thicker 14 or 16 gauge wire. I am not at home, but I believe the br/blu and blk/blu are the others...

And the switch is gone now. That's my problem. I could manage this myself, but unfortunately I messed up and the ignition switch is no longer a viable option.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It has the solid red, orange and brown in a thicker 14 or 16 gauge wire. I am not at home, but I believe the br/blu and blk/blu are the others...

And the switch is gone now. That's my problem. I could manage this myself, but unfortunately I messed up and the ignition switch is no longer a viable option.

That was from the 07 FSM. Mine's an 08. Can't look at it for bit. Lets see if anyone else chimes in. . .

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at the '04 service manual, as for some reason I can't find my copy of the '06.

In the on position, there should be continuity between the red and brown wires, there should also be continuity from the blue/black to blue/white. In the off position there is no continuity.

#1 is what you're looking at

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0a-TIkY6frtUTdTRkdGMV9IWDQ

Last edited:

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! I will try that when I get home. Thanks for the info and hopefully it works. I'm wondering what the orange wire does... (stumped)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8152359714/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

WITHOUT a different angle and/OR some imput from you, do those wires have TRACER colors WE can't see in this picture? It looks like there is a Blue/Black? idk. . .

RED = Supply +12V (CHECK)
Br/L = Brown/Blue =51. Signal fuse, 52. Headlight fuse, 53. Ignition fuse, 54. Tail fuse ((THESE DRAW LOTS, ITS GONNA BE BIG WIRE, SUSPECT BROWN))

L/B = Blue/Black = 10. Starting circuit cut-off relay, 60. Clutch switch ((CHECK))
B/R = B/R Black/Red = 21. ECU ((SUSPECT BLUE YELLOW))

Based upon this, well, one might conclude ((AFTER TESTING/CHECKING)) that the two smaller wires are switched together with the key but thats not how the DIAGRAM SHOWS it??? Better search ebay for ignition switch pictures. . . :thumbup:

((PASTE))
In the on position, there should be continuity between the red and brown wires, there should also be continuity from the blue/black to blue/white. In the off position there is no continuity.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0a...TdTRkdGMV9IWDQ

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8152359714/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

WITHOUT a different angle and/OR some imput from you, do those wires have TRACER colors WE can't see in this picture? It looks like there is a Blue/Black? idk. . .

RED = Supply +12V (CHECK)
Br/L = Brown/Blue =51. Signal fuse, 52. Headlight fuse, 53. Ignition fuse, 54. Tail fuse ((THESE DRAW LOTS, ITS GONNA BE BIG WIRE, SUSPECT BROWN))

L/B = Blue/Black = 10. Starting circuit cut-off relay, 60. Clutch switch ((CHECK))
B/R = B/R Black/Red = 21. ECU ((SUSPECT BLUE YELLOW))

Based upon this, well, one might conclude ((AFTER TESTING/CHECKING)) that the two smaller wires are switched together with the key but thats not how the DIAGRAM SHOWS it??? Better search ebay for ignition switch pictures. . . :thumbup:

((PASTE))

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0a...TdTRkdGMV9IWDQ

I'm pretty sure it is blue/black. I am at work until 2am, so I can't look. I had my wife text me that DSLR quality pic :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to do this for a member out on a ride last May. It was the SoCal Cinco de Mayo Ride. He broke his key off on the seat release. We were on top of Mount Palomar, a long way from home. I had to wing it. I don't know why but I came up with tying the two light gauge blue w/xx color tracers together. Make sure these two wires are discreet from the other heavier gauge red, brown and orange wire. Also don't let any of them touch ground. Letting these wires touch the wrong wires or ground can cause problems other than just a blown fuse. Funny thing is I don't see that orange wire on the ignition switch in the schematics. Maybe it for immobilizer on Euro bikes? The heavy red wire gets tied to the brown wire. The best way of course would be to disconnect and ignition switch and use a meter to do a continuity test to be sure. Good luck! :)
This is me (The OG) doing the deed vvvv We still had to worry about how much fuel he had left to make it back to my house. If it was my SV1000s I would have been SOL!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/44043-socal-cinco-de-mayo-ride-3.html

Canon%2520008.jpg

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks buddy! I'll definitely try tonight. I can't keep driving my truck. 14mpg is killer, especially when my commute is 70 miles round trip!

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
So... I twisted the two smaller wires with tracers together and the red/brown together and guess what? Bike caught on fire! Started smoking then engulfed. Just kidding! It started up and all the lights, signals etc worked fine. Just gonna run a SPST switch on each. Thanks everyone for the help!

Still don't know what the orange wire does...

- Z

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So... I twisted the two smaller wires with tracers together and the red/brown together and guess what? Bike caught on fire! Started smoking then engulfed. Just kidding!
Smart @SS!!! lol :spank: :spank: :spank:
It started up and all the lights, signals etc worked fine. Just gonna run a SPST switch on each. Thanks everyone for the help!

- Z

AtomBomb1.jpg

When the Batteries FLAT, after your first ride, it should become very apparent! LOL Progress. . . :thumbup:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
So... I twisted the two smaller wires with tracers together and the red/brown together and guess what? Bike caught on fire! Started smoking then engulfed. Just kidding! It started up and all the lights, signals etc worked fine. Just gonna run a SPST switch on each. Thanks everyone for the help!

- Z

Now that's funny. As someone that has started one or two electrical fires, you had me going there.

An alternative to running unkeyed switches, you should be able to pickup a cheap ignition switch on e-bay. A proper FZ6 one runs around $40, or you can pick up a small, easy to hide, pocket bike one for under $10.

Maybe trace the orange wire and see where it goes?

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's funny. As someone that has started one or two electrical fires, you had me going there.

An alternative to running unkeyed switches, you should be able to pickup a cheap ignition switch on e-bay. A proper FZ6 one runs around $40, or you can pick up a small, easy to hide, pocket bike one for under $10.

Maybe trace the orange wire and see where it goes?

That I may do. I just have to make it through tonight as I need to get to work. Tomorrow starts my days off.