If you were me?

Whats your choice?

• "Look, use the car are you Completely thick"?

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • "Grow some, just adapt" (Aussie votes not counted)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Slow downDrive the bike like a cage and get there in the end.

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the last years or so, I have prided myself on the ability to ride all year round, Come rain 5hit or shine.
Recently I moved to a very rural location. There is very limited street lighting and at this time of year it rains mostly all the time lol. Last night visibility was about 150 foot.
since the clocks went back (daylight saving time) coming home from work I had three very close calls with other road users. They simple did not see me. I wear bright yellow hi vis jacket and trousers.
Many of the cars do not use lights when ambient light is poor and a good number of cars only have one working headlight.
At nearly 40 I have been thinking about using the cage for the worst 3 months of the year. Something that I would not have entertained previously.

Nelly:BLAA:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, so long as you are the cautious and aware rider, I'd say take the bike. But if you feel that there is simply no enjoyment in the ride during that time, then take the cage and be safe.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, so long as you are the cautious and aware rider, I'd say take the bike. But if you feel that there is simply no enjoyment in the ride during that time, then take the cage and be safe.
I am still enjoying the commute. My gear is great, I am warm and dry and they have just built a great new bypass. In the day and when its dry some of the curves can be taken at 180Kph (I've been told), The thing that bugs me is my new found invisibility at night.

Nelly

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I simply don't get the "I have to ride or I'm a pussy" mentality. There are certain times that a bike is simply not the best choice. There are actually MONTHS that a bike is no the best choice for me. If you are questioning it then IMO you should take the cage. You're family needs you more that that bike does!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I simply don't get the "I have to ride or I'm a pussy" mentality. There are certain times that a bike is simply not the best choice. There are actually MONTHS that a bike is no the best choice for me. If you are questioning it then IMO you should take the cage. You're family needs you more that that bike does!
Well Ant between you and me, I brought a car yesterday just for me. I have got to the point now where the enjoyment (bearing in mind, I road back from Brighton in the pi55ing rain with using Cloogy as my brake light) out weighs the risk. Last night was the worst riding experience I have ever had . The rain was so thick and misty I needed to travel at 65kph to keep my visor clear. The down side was if I traveled at that speed I had no forward vision greater than a hundred feet. When I slowed down to a safer speed the cars were on my arse.
I just wanted to see what other people thought. Don't tell, and we can keep the poll going.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the option of caging it, cage it. If you have a family, it's not about you anymore. Lower the risk for everyone's sake. Unfortunately there are some members who don't have that option.

copperhd5

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from, but, when in a mental state of wanting to ride which already has its inherent dangers (the riding part, not the mental state :D ) and then increased dangers (Low viz or others through no fault of your own), I would err on the side of caution/safety. Live to ride another day. I'm sure you are secure enough in your manhood to opt out of the bike when doubt arises or when you see fit. Take the cage if you need/want/or have to. No penalties for it. Safety first. Just my opinion.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think commuting in the dark is a bad idea if you've got other road users to contend with. I go to lengths to avoid it. I find while in a cage and it's dark, it's a little hard to judge how far away from me other cars are by looking my mirrorr. With our twin headlights, a cager will think we are a car a long ways away. Recipe for disaster. Take the car.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd opt for the safe route too, even if you don't have a family. Get your new ride a good stereo, and use that three months each year to catch up on your favorite music. :rockon:

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
Fit some red and blue flashing strobe lights. Everyone will see you and slow down and drive in a sensible manner.

No worries thanks for asking:thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny you are writing about this.
I've been commuting to work in all weather conditions.
But since the season's changing and it's getting dark earlier, I've been having my doubts. I can't see if there's gravel on the roads or if there's a deer coming out at me without slowing down. If I slow down, I get tailgated. I had 2 bad experiences with tailgaters last week. I won't go into detail, and it wasn't anything major, but it really killed the fun I was having on the ride.
I really don't like to ride in rush hour traffic in the dark. Too many douchebags on the road. :Flip:

So just cage it. I (and you) probably are getting plenty of miles on our bikes.
Save it for the weekend rides, where you can get revenge those damn cagers by ripping right past 'em :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same as most others Nelly. If conditions are that bad, I'd opt for the safer cage option (provided it didn't make my commute unreasonably long). What you described is worse than just wet weather. Rural roads, lack of good lighting, and oncoming traffic with little or no headlights, I would drive. Besides, if your commute on a bike isn't fun, what's the point?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with the general consensus of the guys here. With your family to consider, as well as having a car available for the purpose, I say go with the safer side and cage it mate.

Don't want to end up hearing they had to scape you out from under some useless driver that couldn't see you in your fluro "invisiblity suit".

Take the cage mate, and love every extra day you get to spend with family.

:rockon:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's perfectly reasonable to give the biking a break for the dark months. We might not get the sub-zero temps they do in North America, but endless rain, high winds, short days and muddy roads aren't much fun. And it does seem to bring out the worst in car drivers.

I'm still riding at the moment as it's 10 degrees C, sunny and fairly dry, but come January rural Suffolk is going to be ankle-deep in frozen mud which is just miserable.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well Ant between you and me, I brought a car yesterday just for me. I have got to the point now where the enjoyment (bearing in mind, I road back from Brighton in the pi55ing rain with using Cloggy as my brake light) out weighs the risk. Last night was the worst riding experience I have ever had . The rain was so thick and misty I needed to travel at 65kph to keep my visor clear. The down side was if I traveled at that speed I had no forward vision greater than a hundred feet. When I slowed down to a safer speed the cars were on my arse.
I just wanted to see what other people thought. Don't tell, and we can keep the poll going.

Well you made a wise decision Nelly, if people don't see you wearing this stuff:

IMG_1149.JPG

then it's time to get in the car :thumbup:

Even on the way back from Brighton in the pouring rain (when your electrics were playing up) I could still see you very clearly due to that high vis suit.

BTW I could really have used some high vis gear this morning as it was a real pea souper over here.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Around here, commuting in the dark, and even riding in the dark, this time of year is a dangerous proposition. It's getting into the peak of deer season, so my riding time gets extremely limited around now, to the point where the bike will most likely get put away for the winter.

W

wrightme43

Use the car man. If its not safe its not safe. I wont ride to Tompkinsville after dark or near dark. Headlights, brakes lights and well anything is optional there, and valid license, along with a sober driver are just luck of the draw after dark.