Idle Hands...

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I had our second baby about 2 weeks ago so I have taken the time off from work and between feedings to work on a few projects that have been laying around the house for a while.

Grab On Grips:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 5in.L MC402: Automotive[/ame]

748126ff.png

R1 Pod Lights (wired as running lights and alternating blinkers):

5f20d979.png

TCP Seat Cowl (It was 07 blue when I got it cheap off eBay - plasti dipped it black. I want a belly pan and will get them both painted at the same time, so this is a temporary solution as I can just peel it off later):

e79d45e8.png

96b8bdff.png

I also ordered up an FZ1 bar the other day so now I have something to mod next weekend, too!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
great mods and congrats if you dont mind me asking what did you get for the r1 pod lights and did you cut into your headlight housing?

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gelvatron,

I ordered these (#5):

2002 YZFR1 - YZFR1P Yamaha Motorcycle HEADLIGHT Diagram and Parts

It was about $15 (and you'll need some 194 amber bulbs, too) with shipping. And yes, you do have to make holes in the headlight housing. I just dremeled it out. Only removed the inner fairing trim. I would suggest holding a vacuum cleaner hose while doing it to keep little black plastic bits from getting down inside your headlight housing. The R1 pod lights are kind of rubbery so I just checked and checked until the fit, making the hole slightly bigger and bigger after each check. But when you get close you can squish them in there and they stay put. I would say it took maybe an hour to install them (including extending the wires, drilling, mounting and buttoning everything back up). Like others have mentioned, if you pull the existing plastic connector housing off the pod lights, the little pins in there fit into the FZ6 connector for the signals (from the top). I just connected one lead into the blue wire and the other into the green wire on both sides (don't connect to the black wire) and they are always on as running lights and alternate as signals. If you ride in a lot of moisture I might go a different route for connecting, but here in AZ the connection won't get wet.