Identity Theft!!!???

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You havn't answered any scam emails have you,you know the ones that say you have won some money and to please send your details to confirm?

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So they trust you enough to send you 5000 dollars over the phone basically but don't trust you enough to believe you when you say that you aren't involved in a felony crime?

Good luck with this situation. Post up on what comes of all this.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF?!?!? That really sucks! Can you get any video of the guy from the place where he picked up the money gram? Call the local police to that location and get them on the case.

Sorry to hear this!

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
Not filled out anything online.. The only thing that can link me back to them is say an emergency contact form from a doctor office!!

They dont trust me because my grandma knew it was me, it was my voice on the phone.. Plus how would anyone know their phone number and know how to take advantage of them...

The local police said they couldnt do anything, the vancouver police said they couldn't do anything and the money gram people didnt seem to give a $hit because the transaction has been completed, they said sorry...

Last edited:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For 5000 it might be worth it to hire a Private Investigator, somebody that you are paying to care about your situation.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Stay calm, and think logically. Money and emotions will mix and create a volatile mixture.

Trace it down, if you need to lawyer-up go for it...you'll get to the bottom of it but it will take some time to work through it. I know from an earlier thread you value your credit rating etc. highly - spare nothing to preserve that.

The family stuff will work itself out - they're not going to crucify you overnight, just stay on top of the situation and they'll come around.

Good luck to you!

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
I've also had the pleasure of having my identity stolen.

I applied for a credit card through the mail and my information got compromised somehow. I had some accounts opened in my name and a bunch of bill collectors calling me claiming that I owed them thousands of dollars.

Im guessing your information got intercepted somehow.
Maybe someone reading your mail, maybe a leak at a bank. Student loan apps usually want a bunch of information like references so they can track you down if you skip on your payments. Do you have them listed on something like that?

Unfortunately, I don't think you will see that $5000 ever again. Moneygrams are treated just like cash.

As a precaution, I would also call the credit reporting agencies...transunion, equifax, experian and have them put a fraud alert on your account. At least you will be covered if it turns out this goes beyond the moneygram..which may be the case.

Get a copy of all 3 of your credit reports. They are free if you get them directly and tell them you suspect you've been defrauded.

Anyone who might be involved...yourself, your parents and your grandparents should do this aswell.

It can take months to repair the damage and it probably seems like the end of your financial world right now...but it will clear up eventually.

Good luck.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats awful!! Seems My brother in law.. (CJS500) had his identity stolen and did not know until the collection agency started calling him. He ( or someone) owed $6000 in cell bills on multiple accounts on different carriers.... I would follow up and not let this one go. What police did you call? The Vancouver Police? If that did not work call one of the local media I suggest Global TV.. they are one of the larger new casts In BC

GlobalTV | BC

At least get the story out so no one else gets scammed

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
PS get an identity theft Insurance Policy.. I have one at it only cost about 50 bux for the year:thumbup:

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
PS get an identity theft Insurance Policy.. I have one at it only cost about 50 bux for the year:thumbup:

They seem like a waste of money to me. Maybe it depends on the company...but lifelock for example has this some pretty insane terms for their million dollar protection. http://www.lifelock.com/about-us/about-lifelock/terms-and-conditions

You agree that LifeLock will not make payments to you for any loss or liability you may incur.
Then what is the point?

you will execute any documents LifeLock reasonably requires;
What lifelock might think is reasonable and what I think is reasonable are probably two different things.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:

OMG, that's brutal! WTF?!?

Couldn't be someone you know, could it? An ex-friend? I can't believe the police said they wouldn't help you :spank: Did you try the RCMP? Call up Stephen Harper, tell him Canada sucks :Flip:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...Someone has enough info on my to get my Grandpa to wire them $5000 almost immediately then have a photo ID to pick it up on the other end!!!!

Not filled out anything online.. The only thing that can link me back to them is say an emergency contact form from a doctor office!!

You are assuming that the “security breach” came from your end, i.e., someone knew you or got your personal information and found out who your grandparents are. Seems more likely that it came from their end, i.e. someone found information on your grandparents and was then able to find out who their grandson is. These scammers love to target senior citizens. Do your grandparents live in a small town where school or church or other easily accessible records might exist? Did grandma or grandpa recently get interested in genealogy and go to a web site and enter their family tree? Did they give a human interest interview in a local paper where they said how proud they were of their grandson Chris Bzdel who now lives in Tacoma? It could have been something that seemed quite innocuous.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
You are assuming that the “security breach” came from your end, i.e., someone knew you or got your personal information and found out who your grandparents are. Seems more likely that it came from their end, i.e. someone found information on your grandparents and was then able to find out who their grandson is. These scammers love to target senior citizens. Do your grandparents live in a small town where school or church or other easily accessible records might exist? Did grandma or grandpa recently get interested in genealogy and go to a web site and enter their family tree? Did they give a human interest interview in a local paper where they said how proud they were of their grandson Chris Bzdel who now lives in Tacoma? It could have been something that seemed quite innocuous.

That could very well be! I never though of that.. He is big into genealogy, and has a few online accounts of family trees and such.. ALOT of people know me through my grandparents, especially since they come from family's with 10 brothers and sisters EACH!! but only (2) people that I know of know my grandparents though me (my woman, and my best friend, but my best friend is not smart enough to pull something like this off, and I know the woman is not capable of causing harm to anyone in the world haha)

Also my grandpa was just given a high school diploma, he dropped out of high school to join the navy and go to the Vietnam war. He took some online classes and contacted his high school about his life experiences and such and they gave him an diploma, they had a whole ceremony dedicated specifically for him, they really mad a big deal about it, and it was a high school in a small town, I can only imagine it being in the local papers.. Who knows what info he could of gave out!!

Last edited:

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
They seem like a waste of money to me. Maybe it depends on the company...but lifelock for example has this some pretty insane terms for their million dollar protection. Identity Theft Prevention – Identity Theft Protection

You agree that LifeLock will not make payments to you for any loss or liability you may incur.
Then what is the point?

you will execute any documents LifeLock reasonably requires;
What lifelock might think is reasonable and what I think is reasonable are probably two different things.

You can put your own "Fraud" statement on your credit reports that will significantly deter any tampering. You basically contact the credit bureaus and have them add a statement to your account saying that you must be contacted in person at a supplied telephone number before extending credit.

I had my identity stolen back in 2001 (through credit card company I think), and this one step stopped the fraud dead in it's tracks. The downside is that you will have to go through an extra step to get a credit card (or cell phone) account, but the extra effort is definitely worth the peace of mind.

Infortunately, your problem is more in the "scam" category, and I don't think your credit report would've contributed.

Lastly, be diplomatic if you suggest to your grandparents that it may have been their fault ... don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thar's the scariest story i have read for a very long time......that's one very clever scam, sorry you were the victim of such a cruel & dishonest act..,..Freaking awful...

hope things turn out ok.

:eek:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn that still sucks but I'm glad your Grandparents came around and stopped blaming you. That's tough Chris. I'm sorry that both you and them are going through this!

bcbikernurse

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE:

My grandpa jsut called me and was calm and relaxed, and has accepted what has happened..

Here is the new info:
- He called the phone company and asked about the phone numbers and the the call from "me" and the "attorney" came from the same phone number which was tacked back to a pre-paid cell phone.

- He was in contact with Money Gram again today and spoke with their head quarters, he was told by the "attorney" that the money was going to Vancouver BC but actually it was picked up on the east coast of Canada somewhere (I dont recall the name)

- He spoke with the police about this again today, and the police basically told him there has been no crime committed. He said I just lost $5000, the police said the person on the phone asked for money to be sent and you sent it to them, maybe in fact this persons name really was Chris Bzdel, unless you can prove it was fraud you need to stop calling us. WHAT BS!!!!

- My grandma remembers more on the phone call with "me" she now remembers "me" saying Hello and her asking "Chris?" and "I" replied yes, so that is the only way it I was involved.

- The "attorney" called 5 minutes after "I" did and said all conformed everything "I" said, and the "attorney" asked to whos name it was being sent to and how to spell it.. (So they probably just made up a quick ID then with that name on it)

So now it seems like I am in the clear and really they just got completely taken..

I'm sorry not to sound bitchy but I find it hard to believe that neither police in the States or Canada are willing to do anything in regards to this. This was FRAUD!!!! Since when is nothing done about fraud? My hubby and I just had 800 dollars stollen out of our account because someone compromised our debit cards. Police were involved and our monies returned within a week. It was gut wrenching to know this can happen when we are so carefull but for your grandparents to have to go through this must be absolutely devastating. I feel for you as well because you're inadvertantly involved! If the police are seriously not willing to do anything then I agree with ADMIN and go to the media and TV is always the best avenue. YOU WILL get things done then!!!! Good luck!!!:(