Ideas: How to lose weight?

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 is approx 20 kg lighter than an FZ6 - where has all the weight come off? Anyone got any good ideas on making the FZ6 lighter (but still maintaining the equipment, e.g. fairing)?

R

Raid The Revenge

Horseman jockeys train a minimum of 10 hours a week to remain physically fit and lightweight. This is the best thing to do if you want to keep all your equipment and lower your total weight.

If you want to replace your options:

Replace the mirrors with smaller ones. Shrink all your fluid reservoirs. Replace the fasteners with titanium ones. Replace signal lights with smaller ones. Buy a smaller battery.

BUY A #530 O-ring chain!! Motorcycle chains are very heavy. Consider buying a lighter one.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportrider

just go on a diet, its cheaper for you to lose 20lbs. just think of all the money you'd save on food and gas going to the store.:justkidding:

oh by the way Welcome aboard!!!:D

B

Bo67

I pulled off my centerstand and rear pegs for the dragstrip run this summer. It shaved off 8 1/2 pounds. It didn't help my ET's though, my reaction time/launch talent isn't all that great to begin with. Put everything back on 2 months ago so I wouldn't lose the parts.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Part of the weight issue is in the subframe. We have a steel subframe where as the R6 is aluminum and is smaller than ours as well.

-bryan

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I think silencer can be 3kg hevier than R6 and, it can reduce much more weight if you make sub-frame by Aluminium or Magnecium, Titan

H

HavBlue

I think the easiest answer here is ride weight, lose it. If the rider can lose 10 pounds it will probably be cheaper and have more effect on performance than some of the other would be mechanical methods. Twenty pounds would really make a difference and dropping that front sprocket down one to 15T, while dropping the top end a bit will really make the bottom end come alive.

H

HavBlue

Part of the weight issue is in the subframe. We have a steel subframe where as the R6 is aluminum and is smaller than ours as well.

-bryan

Huh? Yamaha said it was all aluminum and the first in class to use this design>>>

First aluminum die-cast frame in class

For its main frame with its important role in determining running performance, the new models adopt a new frame design employing Yamaha’s exclusive “CF Aluminum Die Casting Technology.” In addition to contributing to lighter weight and excellent and rigidity balance, this frame features a distinctive exterior appearance accentuated by a look of sculpted aluminum.
The CF die casting method makes it possible to eliminate the need for the usual welds, enabling a simple two-part (right-left) structure that is bolted together at two points, the head pipe assembly in the front and the pivot assembly in the rear. The engine is mounted to the frame by means of a 5-point rigid mount system including four points on the right and left sides of the crankcase and one point at the left side of the head. This made it possible to eliminate the cross members for added weight reduction (the curb weight is approximately 7 kg lighter than the existing model).
First aluminum die-cast frame in class

* The “CF Aluminum Die Casting Technology” involves (1) creating a more complete vacuum (six times more complete than conventional method) to reduce air resistance within the mold, (2) controlling the temperature of the mold so that the temperature of the molten aluminum remains more stable and (3) increasing the speed with which the molten aluminum is injected into the mold (five times faster) so that ideal mold filling occurs (high-speed filling reduces the amount of oxidized impurities in the final piece). In this way precise control of the casting conditions is possible and the resulting cast parts have about one-fifth the content of oxides in the final solidified metal compared to conventional die-cast aluminum. On the new models, CF die-cast parts have been used for the main frame, where lightweight, high-strength parts with a look of high quality were required.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HavBlue

Here is a picture of the aluminum frame they were talking about back in 2004. This same unit was used from 2004 through at least 2006.

H

HavBlue

Just a thought: While the rear sub-frame shown in the picture would appear to look as though it were the same material as the main frame, it is not. I can't say with any certainty what it is actually made of other than to say the material is ferrous. So, this leaves any number of alloys available and any number of them would be lighter than steel. I would find it odd that Yamaha went far enough back in 2004 to use an all aluminum main frame only to use common steal in there sub-frame. The whole idea behind the new design was to save weight so steel would seem very counterpoint.....

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha's engineer might have thought about riding with passenger. On this point, Steel is much more tough than Aluminium on fracture toughness and, might reduce some vibration. Still very lighter than FZ1.

Yes, it is cheapest way that I reduce my body weight but, much more harder than modification. ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But it still has a plain old fashioned steel sub-frame.
Neil. :thumbup:
Hi Neil, Kumaja does make a very important pint though. Didn't the hyabusa have problems with cracking rear sub frames?

Neil

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Some people tend to compare with super sports model like R6 and, FZ6 is used FZ6 Cup in Australia. Actually, some time, I has similar emotion for FZ6. However, my old friend say me "If you need lighter all-rounder, you should have bought R6 and install higher bar handle or buy Street Triple from UK".

Yes FZ6 is FZ6. Please remember. It is very lighter than YZF600(Thunder cat), FZS600 even if heavy catalizer is installed(07 model has 3 cat).

I'll put this modification(one-off the sub frame) as positive expectation in the future after enjoy normal weight riding for several years.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll put this modification(one-off the sub frame) as positive expectation in the future after enjoy normal weight riding for several years.

Good luck with that. I would imagine that an aluminum subframe from scratch would be more difficult than a diet.