I went to the museum...

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Last weekend I went to the Museum of Technology in Oslo, Norway, with my wife and two girls. While they were busy doing something girly, I found the rather small motorcycle exibition. Of course, it had to be located in the most dimly lit part of the building, and my iPhone isn't very happy in less-than-optimal lighting conditions. I tried to take a few pictures anyway, and this is what I got...

First, some pictures of an English Sopwith ABC from 1920 (yes, the plane manufacturer) and a Triumph from 1908. The Sopwith to the left, seen from the front.

Last edited:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
And then, a German NSU from 1913 (could be a 1911, but more likely the 1913). Notice the nice gear shift mechanism...

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a Norwegian moped, the Tempo Lett ("Tempo Light"), from the fifties. You could drive it or use the pedals, or even drive it and help with the pedals in steep uphills.

It's basically a regular bicycle frame made in Norway with a German Sachs engine.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Another Norwegian - the Tempo Panter ("Tempo Panther"). The different Tempo models were extremely popular, and they came in a variety of models.

The Panter is looking a little more like a proper motorcycle, but it's still just a Norwegian made bicycle with and a German Sachs engine.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Geting closer to the grand finale, but first a weird Norwegian "car sled" from 1925 - The Bjering Motorsled. Made for two persons, with the driver in the back like in an old double decker airplane.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's finish of with the only Japanese bike, a Yamaha from the eighties(?). Dunno what model... :confused:

Edit: Could it be a '72-'79 TX 750?

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Popeye. Great pics.
A Sopworth bike? Now that's something I have never seen

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I had never seen a Sopwith bike until I saw this one only 3 kms from home... :)

It's weird that the Sopwith motor was copied by BMW and became the basis for the Bavarian bikes. So the BMW success isn't based on German "Vorsprung durch Technik" (OK, that's really the Audi slogan), but instead stolen from English tea drinking airplane enthusiasts.