Unexpected drawback to lowering the bike

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
My husband finished installing a set of Hyperpro Lowering springs on my bike just over a week ago. I had taken it out on a couple short trips around to get the feel of it and to make sure I was happy with the settings. I absolutely love it, and the fact that I can almost flat-foot the bike is a real treat! :cheer:

This past weekend was the first longer run I've done. We headed up to Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise), about 200 km away. Because we were planning on doing some hiking up there, I put my Givi bags on to carry our hiking boots and a change of clothes, and also to have a place to store our riding gear while we were there.

I have an AdMore Lighting LED Light Kit installed on the bags as well, and when I was first routing the wiring, I was very careful to check that the wire wouldn't be near the exhaust. Unfortunately, I neglected to check this after lowering the bike by 3 cm... :eek: One of the wires coming from the bike to the right saddlebag partially melted through, and when we went to head home, my husband said I had no lights on the bag on that side.

He'll will be able to repair the wire, and we plan to get some insulated wire to help prevent this from happening again. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for shielding the underside of the exhaust pipe. We have the wire hooked into the bike in such a way that I can pull it up inside under the seat when the bags aren't on the bike. So it comes down to the underside of the bike through the plastic tray where the tool case sits. The left side wire is in no danger, but the right side wire passes directly under the exhaust on it's way to connect to the bag.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to thread jack but I guess I just missed you.......I was there just this past Thursday.

P1000957.jpg

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to thread jack but I guess I just missed you.......I was there just this past Thursday.

I hope the weather cooperated for you, as I recall, it was rather rainy that day! It's a beautiful area, and one we really enjoy visiting! The turnoff for Moraine Lake is on the way up the hill from Lake Louise Village to the Chateau on the lake.

Heat shielding the wiring is probably the best bet.
Try something like this ;) - Heat Shield and Wire Protection

Thanks! We'll have a look for this!

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I am struggling to see how lowering the bike could alter the route of the cable, unless you run it along the swing arm. the exhaust and frame will not have altered position in relation to each other :confused:

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I am struggling to see how lowering the bike could alter the route of the cable, unless you run it along the swing arm. the exhaust and frame will not have altered position in relation to each other :confused:

With putting the Hyperpro spring on the shock, the rear wheel now sits further up inside the bike. There is now less space between the rear wheel hugger and the underside of the exhaust.

The wire comes down from under the seat (where it's stored when not being used), and runs over the top of the hugger to connect to the plugs in the bags. Because there has to be some slack in the cable to allow for movement, the cable can also now flex up and touch against the exhaust.

I don't have any pictures, but hopefully that's made it a little clearer.