I saw a Ninja fall and it was just a disaster :(:(:(

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello friends,
I was in San Diego last weekend(long weekend) visiting my friend. Unfortunately the weather was terrible:( Thankfully I was driving a car!:rockon: I was driving south of SD and it was sometime around 9ish in the morning and I could see right infront of me a guy riding a Ninja650r. I have to be honest here...HE WAS SOOOO STUPID. Believe me it was not just raining...it was literally pouring...it was just raining soo badly...driving a car was in itself a struggle. Visibility was way too bad for any vehicle to be going more than 30-40mph in Interstate 5. I had my friends with me in car and the moment I saw this ninja I told my friend ....it would be not too long before we see this ninja kiss the road...Since I respect every motorcyclist..I just felt its better off I drive behind him as much as possible(and as long as I could on my way) and make sure no other car would be close to him(incase he falls..I dont wanna see hiim gone over by a car) I tried helping him by driving right behind him with enough distance to break just incase uno.....and guess what!!!!!!!!!!!! it didnt take long.......he just didnt fall....he crashed soo badly....I could see him and his bike slide on road for close to 100meters(I am not joking..this stupid rider was riding in interstate 5 at 65mph when it was raining like cats and dogs) I stopped right behind him...making sure atleast I could save my lane for him...but unfortunately I saw his ninja run over by a truck....Thankfully though this rider was safe..and all the cars instantly stopped...I just got out to see if he was ok....and YES he was ok with a few minor injuries...and guess who saved???? as always his GEAR.....
All I can say at this point is...I am soo glad he is ok...and I really hope he and everybody else out there...really dont ride on days when it rains badly....
what did I learn????? never over estimate ur strengths....never push...never risk when it comes to riding a motorcycle...bcoz there is only one thing that can happen ...which is obvious...
I thought I would share with u all bcoz ...I really felt soo bad to see his motorcycle literally in pieces...in the middle of the road.and hope someone out there will realize that raiding on a rainy day is not a good idea unless it is absolutely necessary....unfortunately I cant stop being furious at that rider for being soo stupid...:Flip:
JUST RIDE SAFE please....there is always someone who wants u alive and is waiting to see u back home safe.!!

Last edited:

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
there was this pond of water standing in the middle of the interstate ...it was very clear he couldnt control it ...bcoz his front end immediately skide the moment it hit the standing water...he lost complete control bcoz he was way too fast...first off he shouldnt have been riding that day..second..he was at 65mph while the rest of the traffic(cars/trucks etc) were in 30-40mph..
KB

W

wrightme43

I dont know that the rain caused the crash. He may of locked up the brake to avoid the puddle but just rain doesn't make bikes fall down.

I ride in the pouring rain no problems. I rode home last night in pouring snow.

You can hydroplane up a bike but if you have quality tires that are not worn out they go just fine in very hard rain.

For example see 2008 motogp at indy. 200mph, downpour, 60mph winds. Bikes just go right along.

Not knocking you, but bikes are amazingly stable will stay up as long as the rider lets them stay up.

He more than likely locked the front tire, and was riding on worn out tires.

Rain is not a problem for a motorcycle at all.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the rider freaked out and grabbed too much brake (perhaps when he hydroplaned). If he'd been riding appropriately for the conditions he would have seen it coming or his error wouldn't have resulted in a crash.

He might also have fixated on the 'pond' and rode into the deepest part or something. I watched a friend ride his Road King straight off the road in a gentle turn last year with almost no lean angle. Target fixation is real and some people just freeze up.

True - bikes work just fine in the rain (traction loss is minimal), but operator error is much more common.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know that the rain caused the crash. He may of locked up the brake to avoid the puddle but just rain doesn't make bikes fall down.

I ride in the pouring rain no problems. I rode home last night in pouring snow.

You can hydroplane up a bike but if you have quality tires that are not worn out they go just fine in very hard rain.

For example see 2008 motogp at indy. 200mph, downpour, 60mph winds. Bikes just go right along.

Not knocking you, but bikes are amazingly stable will stay up as long as the rider lets them stay up.

He more than likely locked the front tire, and was riding on worn out tires.

Rain is not a problem for a motorcycle at all.

+1 to that. I ride all year round (except in snow) and although I tend to slow down in the rain, that's mainly because of the greatly reduced visability - although I do take it a bit more easy than needed on bends.

My riding instructor once told me that you can ride the same on modern, new bike tyres in the rain the same as in the dry.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that is also possible is nearly bald tires. As I travel around the US when I see bikes parked I always look at tires, since that seems to be the number 1 thing most people neglect.... Many of the places I go they are bald if not very close. If his tires didn't have decent tread possible the water had no where to go and he hydroplaned.....

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the rider freaked out and grabbed too much brake (perhaps when he hydroplaned). If he'd been riding appropriately for the conditions he would have seen it coming or his error wouldn't have resulted in a crash.

He might also have fixated on the 'pond' and rode into the deepest part or something. I watched a friend ride his Road King straight off the road in a gentle turn last year with almost no lean angle. Target fixation is real and some people just freeze up.

True - bikes work just fine in the rain (traction loss is minimal), but operator error is much more common.

Fixated on the 'pond'????? well from what I could see from the back...He never slowed down even when there was this standing water ....may be because he was not able to see it bcoz of the bad visibility..and yes...it really looked like his front tired got stuck in there...bcoz when he fell his front end was the one which twisted like crazy..I saw his handle bars going out of control first.But then I would still stand up what I said...He was riding way too fast for the conditions...I didnt get enough time to check out his tires..bcoz..first off I was really worried abt this rider ..bcoz I got the first hand view of his crash...and was concerned about him than his bike...
I have seen/read so many of you here stressing the fact that riding gear is soo important...and I just got the proof why it really is. Even after such a crash ...the only visible injury was sprained ankle and a chipped knee caps(minor)...he was wearing blue jeans/helmet/riding jacket/gloves ,,,riding boots....offcourse he was **** shaken...and his bike was in pieces...All I am glad is that...I am very sure he will be back on a bike soon!
KB

Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site

I don't buy this. While pavement traction may be similar even when wet, there are so many instance in this forum of people slipping out while making a moderate turn on a non-pavement surface that is unexpectedly slippery - manhole, the plastic stuff that crosswalks are made off, probably a dozen other things I wouldn't think of until I was sliding on the street. I'm sure a consistent rain-rider would tune his responses to all these incremental risks. In my book, since riding is never a necessity, it's just another rung up the risk ladder, and I stay away. Since I have little rain experience, I don't trust my instincts to do the right thing in conditions I'm not used to.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard bikes are less likely to hydroplane than cars, but doesn't mean it can't happen. While googl'ing motorcycle hydroplaning, came across this... [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fZdesf0QM[/nomedia]. Incredible and there's many more like it.
Came across several theories that a round tire profile like used on sport bikes will begin to hydroplane in 1/4" water above about 60mph. Sounds like your guy could testify to this!

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a big puddle pull my 5k lbs. truck hard to the side at speed. I'd hate to hit the same puddle head on with bike and have the sudden drag shake the handle bar.

The rider might have had a death grip going too and between the sudden pull due to the puddle, and weight on the front from the grip, he could have very well initiated a head shake that tossed him.

Personally I have sport tires that will get loose with any moisture if not warmed up, so rain riding is kept to the bare minimum.