I rode 2,927 miles in a week

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I took a week long vacation to New England....................

It all started at 12 am July 10, 2009. I left from Lexington, Ky and headed out to drive through KY and OH in the dark (since there is nothing to see) i crossed into PA in time to start to see sunlight. Before I knew it I was in the state of NY... As the route that I was taking up I-90 was very boring until I arrived in the "Adirondack" area. I then jumped off the interstate and started on the 2 lanes. Northern NY is very beautiful but I had my sights set on Mt. Washington in NH. After riding in NY for a very very very long time I crossed into VT.. As NY was beautiful VT was absolutely gorgeous. As I live in the Midwest and see nothing but corn and cows this was a change that was breathtaking. Everywhere I looked was a picture it was very hard to focus on the road and not the beauty that surrounded me. As I have been on the road for a very very long time now I made my final resting that evening in ST. Johnsbury, VT 960 miles all in one shot 18 hours on my butt with a stock seat.

The next day I started out with a trip to the top of Mt. Washington. 6,288 ft and home of the highest wind speed on earth. The views were amazing but before you get to the top you have to ride the very scary and bumpy Mt. Washington Auto Road. It cost 13 bucks and you get a sticker saying that you climbed to the top. I was mostly paved and there was a short section of gravel. At a 12% grade it was a different feeling than any other road that I was on. Going to the top was difficult in that everyone in front of me kept stopping to take pictures. A bike loaded down with camping gear and a weeks worth of stuff trying to climb a 12% grade on gravel was nothing to easy.

The next day I drove the Kancamagus Highway which is amazing in itself with the views and curves. Driving through the White Mountain State Forest and Crawford State park. So much to see and so little time.

The next few days I spent in Maine. I came this far I might as well spend some time along the coast. I jumped on US1 and drove through history. Every town was beautiful so alive with keeping things simple and not letting the old die. In the area that I live in they feel it is better to destroy and rebuild than to preserve. I found that is not so in New England.

As I spent a few days camping I wanted to spoil myself with a resort stay on the ocean. So I stayed at the Newagen Seaside Inn in Southport, ME a very beautiful area and a cozy stay. Plus they had there own bar :thumbup:

I left there and continued north to my final place to visit. Acadia National Park
which is the most breath taking beautiful place that I have ever been. The views from Cadillac Mountain were awesome. To find out that Cadillac Mt. is the first place to see sunlight in the US was a fun fact. I toured through the park and check out the rest of the sites.

I camped out that night and headed out about 1 in the morning on the 17th. I rode countless hours on the road all the way from Bar Harbour, ME to Buffalo, NY in a day another 17 hours on the road and one heck of a thunderstorm where I had to pull of the road due to wind and hail. A stay at a very old motel and another 8 hours I was back in Lexington. A very memorable trip and to say the least it won't be my only trip to New England way to much to see in a week. Plus I have to go hiking, Mt. bike riding, and kayaking next time.

IMG_3729.jpg

Last edited:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Top of Mt. Washington
IMG_3763.jpg

Mt. Washington Auto Road
IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

Arethusa Falls
IMG_4002.jpg

Civil War Fort in Maine
IMG_4203.jpg

Bridge In Maine
IMG_4417.jpg

Top of Cadillac Mt. Acadia National Park
IMG_4447.jpg

Never see this sign in the Midwest..................
IMG_4579.jpg

PLANEMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
It's obvious that you have more stamina than I. It is obvious that you didn't waste much time. You didn't even turn off the bike at the New Hampshire state line to snap a picture. (Your tail light is still on in the photo):D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report with great pics!

Never see that Moose sign in Ca either but we do have plenty of Forest Rats if you need some.

3K miles in a week on a 6? Excellent!!

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Great trip....WOW you can ride a loooonnnggg time with out resting!

Anyway, Great pictures, I am familar with most of the places you visited. I regularly ride the Kangc...it is 20 minutes up the road from my summer camp!

Thanks for sharing your trip!:thumbup:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
The time spent in ME, NH, VT, and northern NY were on two lanes. Time spent on the Interstate started once I pulled onto I-90 to I-271 to I-71 and I-75 on the way back...... Toooooooooo much Interstate but ya gotta get there quick......:spank:

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you usually work the graveyard shift? or speed or meth!!! My neck is still sore after a 100 mile run this morning!! It sucks being tall!

Roln 106

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm impressed... I did about 500 miles this past weekend and I'm exhausted. To do 3,000 in a week is amazing, not too mention the specific details of the trip (Mt. Washington especially, as I'm sure that took a ton of focus, concentration and energy to ride up and down).

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you usually work the graveyard shift? or speed or meth!!! My neck is still sore after a 100 mile run this morning!! It sucks being tall!

I do work a second shift job. I was super excited about the trip so I pushed myself past the point of comfort to see the sites. It was well worth it... Would I do it again? Yes, now that I know I am capable of 1,000 miles in a day. Well I have many trips to plan now. Thinking of Colorado next :thumbup:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I took a week long vacation to New England....................

It all started at 12 am July 10, 2009. I left from Lexington, Ky and headed out to drive through KY and OH in the dark (since there is nothing to see)

I'm guessing you're refering to ohio since my city/state are both awesome to look at. :rolleyes: (sometimes). That was one awesome ride though.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like you had a great trip, and you were out in my neck of the woods, i know exactly where some of those pictures were taken!

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing you're refering to ohio since my city/state are both awesome to look at. :rolleyes: (sometimes). That was one awesome ride though.

I love Lexington been living here the past 10 months but soon to go back to Indiana. Yes, Ohio welllllll I have nothing to say about that state except the state troopers are horrible on the interstate. Every 5 miles they are sitting int the middle of the road waiting for the next speeder..... How are you suppose to make good time when there are nothing but cops around.:shakehead::eyebrow::don'tknow::rant:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Lexington been living here the past 10 months but soon to go back to Indiana. Yes, Ohio welllllll I have nothing to say about that state except the state troopers are horrible on the interstate. Every 5 miles they are sitting int the middle of the road waiting for the next speeder..... How are you suppose to make good time when there are nothing but cops around.:shakehead::eyebrow::don'tknow::rant:

The troopers are horrible. I'd rather drive through Illinois than Ohio. They have the mind numbing amount of corn like ohio, but not the same amount of cops.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy CRAP! Wow! What a cool adventure. I'd love to do a road trip with my bike like that. Wait I did but I pulled the bike on a trailer...okay...not the same.

Very cool. Butt still numb???

There is an epic bicycle race up Mt. W each summer. heard tales of snow, sleet and driving rain in July!

Last edited: