i need your honest opinions...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so i sat down and made a 2010 winter mod list... I dont want to give it all away just yet, but just wanted to sketch a few things up in Fireworks to see what they will look like completed...

keep two things in mind...
1. The red will not be as bright as what is pictured.
2. I also have a belly pan that i took off for winter.
3. I suck at paintshop..

please give me your honest opinions... sometimes i get ideas and go overboard.. so shout out what you like and dont like... no feelings will be hurt...

please no "its your bike, thats all that matters" i know this, but i need some feedback lol

Thanks fellas!!

picture 1. Taken as of 4 hours ago.

Pictuer 2. what i am rolling around thinking about doing.. :thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
All black rear sets or black+carbon fiber. I don't like the red+black rearsets.
Make the calipers red.
That's it. Don't go overboard. No red inner cowling, frame slider, rear frame, etc.
Just my $0.02.

C

CombatPenguin

I really like the calipers but the sub-frame and inner cowling I would leave black

the_newt

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from my opions on cars with DIY painted accents, it rarely comes out looking that good. But that's mostly due to a lack of prep work and just rattle canning the paint on there. Also, on the plastic on the back of the fairing, were you just going to paint that little part visible or are you painting everything back there?

Though I do like the blacked out bolts.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the opinion that less is more. I like the fact you've pulled the fairing decals. I wouldnt paint anything red. Put you're black belly pan back on and go stealth. Tint you're windscreen if anything. I've always thought the highlight of this bike is the frame design and undertail exhaust. Those alone set itself a part.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would have to say Im not a fan of the red. If anything was done I would go silver or brushed look on the certain things you want to change.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I would do the pipes, calipers and rear sets (but only black on the rear sets) and stop there. Maybe blacken the fairing screws as well but I wouldn't mess with the rear wheel adjuster or do any of the other little red bits. Maybe some red bar ends to match the calipers if you just wanted a touch more red.... but NO red paint anodized only.

Last edited:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
In my opinion, removing pieces and painting leaves the bike looking like a teenage kid got it and took off whatever he could to spray bomb it.

The calipers look promising but that would be the only red. The rest should be black.

edit: and don't remove your license plate

Last edited:

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
I am with OMG_WTF here.
Id ditch the red as the fz already has enough red detailing.
Black/carbon would be a nice choice, or for some parts maybe a titanium/matt but def not chrome.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda like the inside of the fairing red. It gives the look of the new black and red R1. I would recomend against painting the subframe, pegs and rad guard like the others have said. Too many accents and it starts to look cheap and not thought out.

Best of luck with what you do and keep us posted :thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO that looks AWESOME , i like the rearsets the most , i love what you have planned for her but a 1st class paint job would be essential :thumbup: Keep us up to date.....

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the calipers and the ceramic coated exhaust but not the red radiator cover.

Thanks for all your opinions guys! i know i went a little overboard, i doubt i am going to paint the frame slider like that. as well as the oil cap, those were mainly just to see how they would look.

for the radiator, i plan to either keep the plastic cover that comes with it, and put some red colored mesh behind it, or just ditch it all together, make something out of stainless paint black and put red mesh behind that. I was going to try to layer it with black, so that it would almost come out looking like a K&N air filter color.

with the front fairing, i colored the inside of that red, and then took another picture i had and re did the whole control panel red, but its way to much, so i think im going to leave that black.

im contemplating removing the rim stripe but im not sure yet.

i just want it to be something that nobody else has, something were people are like "i have NEVER seen one like that before" but obviously in a good way lol

You guys really dont like the red subframe and heel guard? i liked those the most.. maybe ill paint em red, see how it looks, and if its bad, just bead blast them and do them over in black... we shall see.

My last two questions...
1. Has anyone ever seen a "hot toppers" kit for sport bikes? i have seen ones for harleys, but never sport bikes, and im gonna assume all harleys are standard where ours would be metric..
2. would it be possible to paint the rear spring, or would it eventually crack the paint over time?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Thanks for all your opinions guys! i know i went a little overboard, i doubt i am going to paint the frame slider like that. as well as the oil cap, those were mainly just to see how they would look.

for the radiator, i plan to either keep the plastic cover that comes with it, and put some red colored mesh behind it, or just ditch it all together, make something out of stainless paint black and put red mesh behind that. I was going to try to layer it with black, so that it would almost come out looking like a K&N air filter color.

with the front fairing, i colored the inside of that red, and then took another picture i had and re did the whole control panel red, but its way to much, so i think im going to leave that black.

im contemplating removing the rim stripe but im not sure yet.

i just want it to be something that nobody else has, something were people are like "i have NEVER seen one like that before" but obviously in a good way lol

You guys really dont like the red subframe and heel guard? i liked those the most.. maybe ill paint em red, see how it looks, and if its bad, just bead blast them and do them over in black... we shall see.

My last two questions...
1. Has anyone ever seen a "hot toppers" kit for sport bikes? i have seen ones for harleys, but never sport bikes, and im gonna assume all harleys are standard where ours would be metric..
2. would it be possible to paint the rear spring, or would it eventually crack the paint over time?

Leave the rim stripes for sure!. As for the spring, it would have to either be rubber dipped or I suppose you could use colored heat shrink. That would definitely look good in red. I am not a fan of random painting accent colors though. Looks trailer park.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the opinion that less is more. I like the fact you've pulled the fairing decals. I wouldnt paint anything red. Put you're black belly pan back on and go stealth. Tint you're windscreen if anything. I've always thought the highlight of this bike is the frame design and undertail exhaust. Those alone set itself a part.

+1 All black, even the rims.