I have to keep telling myself its not a 600

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been about a year since I've rode and every time I get on my Fz1 I keep wanting to treat it like a 600. I don't really like using the brakes until I need them so I down shift a lot especially entering turns and I forget that it don't rev to 15-16k so I end up over reving the bike, the tach reads 13 at the top and its going way over 13 and it gets super squrilly, then powering out of turns Im giving way too much throttle and feel the back end doing a 2 step. Yeah I gotta get use to this power lol just figured I'd ramble

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your post brings up something I was wondering about. I go back and forth between my FZ6 and my Aprilia Tuono but rarely get the revs up beyond 9-10 grand on either one. How ofter do y'all with FZ6 bikes run the revs up in the 13-15K range and when/why? :confused: Thanks.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Your post brings up something I was wondering about. I go back and forth between my FZ6 and my Aprilia Tuono but rarely get the revs up beyond 9-10 grand on either one. How ofter do y'all with FZ6 bikes run the revs up in the 13-15K range and when/why? :confused: Thanks.

Onramps and interstate passing, good sir. That's about it, and usually just 1 gear hop to get done with the whole process.. :D

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site

Never/rarely. 10k rpm in third is ~100mph on the clock.

Gearboxes were invented for a reason.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I commute on my FZ6. I might take it to redline once every 2 weeks but normally I shift at 6-7K in normal commute and 8-9K if I'm merging or riding on the highway. That said I'm only 140 lbs. If I were 200 lbs I'd probably have to add a couple thousand rpms to each shift to achieve the same acceleration rate!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Agreed 100%. ^^^

I rarely go over 8k, 10-12k when feeling friskie in the lower gears.

As posted above, 2 or 3rd gear @14,000 K your in the triple digits.. I guess everyone is staying in first and second or at the track to hit the limiter..That or some very open roads and a good radar detector...

I have opened it up on a bridge (no side streets and I could see traffic ahead) to 133 MPH (there was a little more left) but that was once and I ran out of bridge...

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute on my FZ6. I might take it to redline once every 2 weeks but normally I shift at 6-7K in normal commute and 8-9K if I'm merging or riding on the highway. That said I'm only 140 lbs. If I were 200 lbs I'd probably have to add a couple thousand rpms to each shift to achieve the same acceleration rate!

Funny you bring this up. I'm over 200lbs, and had my gf on the back of bike yesterday. If I was under 8k it felt like my bike would stall.

I dont know how often I red line as I'm usually not looking at the tach when I am driving spiritedly.

Does anyone know where actual redline is? I dont want to hit it going through 2nd and fly off the bike

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
haha! ^^ No, not everyone!

1st gear has its uses... Granted its at 13.5+ in & out of some corners, its only for a bit before gear change. 1st gear works well as 2nd is too low and its out of the power band. Yes, awaiting dental apt and tooth extraction of the 16th molar! Its a tough little engine and seems to be hanging in there! :thumbup: FWIW: this is the place that can bring the brake challenge into play ( http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/51120-crisis-takes-chattering-brakes.html )

After 50 years of being the worst road (most patched road) on the planet they paved this stretch last fall and did a pretty fine job of it too! Mid week traffic is nil. PS suggested corners speeds is like 10mph. :rolleyes:
attachment.php

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you bring this up. I'm over 200lbs, and had my gf on the back of bike yesterday. If I was under 8k it felt like my bike would stall.

I dont know how often I red line as I'm usually not looking at the tach when I am driving spiritedly.

Does anyone know where actual redline is? I dont want to hit it going through 2nd and fly off the bike

Well I can't be riding a 600 then. I've heard the weight limit for the FZ6 is 210kg. I had me (98) the Mrs (90) and two nights worth of camping gear on mine last weekend coming out at at least 250kg. I had to hold first up to 45 instead of my usual 35 and shift. Even filtering in traffic all up, not so much as a judder. Hell, on the way home I even pointed it at some hills, at low speed, in 5th, to get that nice transition from the deep, struggling growl, up into the howling rpms. A nice fun ride out on the Saturday morning (just the two of us, no luggage) and it was happily rolling on and off the power through the Yorkshire Dales in third and fourth.

Are you used to driving an automatic (car)? Cause if you're using your gears properly it howls along just fine with a heavy load.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been about a year since I've rode and every time I get on my Fz1 I keep wanting to treat it like a 600. I don't really like using the brakes until I need them so I down shift a lot especially entering turns and I forget that it don't rev to 15-16k so I end up over reving the bike, the tach reads 13 at the top and its going way over 13 and it gets super squrilly, then powering out of turns Im giving way too much throttle and feel the back end doing a 2 step. Yeah I gotta get use to this power lol just figured I'd ramble

Slipper clutch required??? :don'tknow::don'tknow: Cheaper than broken body parts I expect.. .. ..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i normally shift at about 4-5K and will cruise as low (by myself) as low as 3k without ANY problems. (stock gearing). 4,000 RPM's is actual 48 MPH....

The bike will pull easily and VERY willingly at that RPM. And no it doesn't, ping, buck or anything else. I can easily just hold the throttle wide open and it'll accelerate on its own, again WITHOUT ANY issues, slipper clutches, etc.

With a passenger, yes, the RPM's do have to come up quite a bit.

As noted, 8-10,000RPM in 2,3 gear, you better know where the cops hide out at...:(

Last edited:

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I can't be riding a 600 then. I've heard the weight limit for the FZ6 is 210kg. I had me (98) the Mrs (90) and two nights worth of camping gear on mine last weekend coming out at at least 250kg. I had to hold first up to 45 instead of my usual 35 and shift. Even filtering in traffic all up, not so much as a judder. Hell, on the way home I even pointed it at some hills, at low speed, in 5th, to get that nice transition from the deep, struggling growl, up into the howling rpms. A nice fun ride out on the Saturday morning (just the two of us, no luggage) and it was happily rolling on and off the power through the Yorkshire Dales in third and fourth.

Are you used to driving an automatic (car)? Cause if you're using your gears properly it howls along just fine with a heavy load.

My main car is a stick auto, but I know what you are saying. I was embellishing a bit when I said stall, but my bike just doesnt sound or feel happy. That being said my gf also isnt the best passenger.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I loved hitting the revs during WOT on the fazer. Especially with a two bro exhaust. Like a lazer beam explosion. A violent PEW PEW shift then do it over :D

Wish I could afford an exhaust with the 09 but as much dumb **** as I do it may be best no one hears me coming lol.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

I usually cruise around 8000rpm and will go up to 13000rpm pretty much everytime i ride the bike.

I just really hate the lack of responsiveness once you go lower than 7000rpm.
The bike is so much happier once the tach needle is past 12 o'clock, and if she is happy, i am happy.

The only downside to that is the fact that i rarely get more than 35mpg, usually closer to 30mpg...
I do have a 15t front sprocket and am not a commuter, the bike is only ridden for fun.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually cruise around 8000rpm and will go up to 13000rpm pretty much everytime i ride the bike.

I just really hate the lack of responsiveness once you go lower than 7000rpm.
The bike is so much happier once the tach needle is past 12 o'clock, and if she is happy, i am happy.

The only downside to that is the fact that i rarely get more than 35mpg, usually closer to 30mpg...
I do have a 15t front sprocket and am not a commuter, the bike is only ridden for fun.

I can't imagine using that power band around town.. IMO anything from 9k up is for getting on the highway or spirited twisties. By the time you hit 13k in first you're likely far over the speed limit anyways.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine using that power band around town.. IMO anything from 9k up is for getting on the highway or spirited twisties. By the time you hit 13k in first you're likely far over the speed limit anyways.

I don't do much riding in town, i tend to go out in the countryside...

In town i usually stay around 6000rpm, shift at 8000.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
The bikes are not old trucks, redline them every time you ride them.

Redline right to the next gas station!:thumb up:..not

Redline is of no use around town. If you hit red line in ANY gear in town, you're going too fast and probably shouldn't be allowed to own a motorcycle. On the highway, ya, rev it up to get to speed.. but let's be honest, redline in any gear other than 1st belongs on a track or the autobahn.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 100% ^^^^.

Redline all the time will find yourself either dead after meeting a car (and not in a good way) or loosing your license.

I had to do some work years ago (aftermarket pipes and some other farkles) on a Suzuki B-King, 1300, the light to light, semi upright go fast screamer.

My friend asked me to break it in for him after I was done and put some miles on it. Not being the prettiest bike, nor the most comfortable (seat was a frigging board), that bike was the absolutly the FASTEST accelerating bike I'd ever ridden. I could NOT hold the throttle wide open in first as the G force would literally pull your clenched hands off the bars.

An absolute blast to ride, but so uncomfortable. I knew if I bought one, I would either die (seriously) or loose my license..