I hate railroad ballast!!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I do OK on gravel and do much of what was suggested, my problem comes in when I encounter the evil ballast(think gravel on steroids) plus the fact I was totally on the wrong line as I should have been on the left away from the slope of ballast from the tracks, hind site is 20-20.
Crash bars are on the to buy list for this year.
Thanks for the tips on picking up the bike, I'll try that next time(hope there is no next time but who am I kidding:D)

Jerry

If you do gravel a lot, knobby tires will help with the loose stuff. The knobbies will dig in and you won't feel like you're on marbles.
Many times people get a knobby tire up front and keep the street/trail tire on the rear.
That's a good compromise in terms of street/dirt handling and wear.

At least you're not going to Starbucks! :thumbup:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Glad you're okay! Sleeping Tiger Grouch Old Man! :rof::rof::rof:

Time for a Spot Jerry!
If you're going on a jaunt like that, alone, out in on Nowhere Trail, you just tag some of us along through the email and SMS. We can check up on you! We can zoom it when your generating multiple tracks in on place. "Having lunch at Hooters!?!? :D
Lisa and I take the spot with us on hikes and have neighbors and family keep an eye on us.

When are you and the Mrs. coming for a visit?

I carry a PLB with me but only for those occasions when S&R would be handy. I may get a spot just for what you suggest.
I don't know, when is a good time to come for a good time:D:D

Jerry

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
If you do gravel a lot, knobby tires will help with the loose stuff. The knobbies will dig in and you won't feel like you're on marbles.
Many times people get a knobby tire up front and keep the street/trail tire on the rear.
That's a good compromise in terms of street/dirt handling and wear.

At least you're not going to Starbucks! :thumbup:

I should have two sets of tires, street and dirt, but maybe a lighter more dirt oriented bike would be good but I think the wife would kill me if I got another bike, as it is she's not to happy about me wandering off the beaten path.

Starbucks, Ha Ha, even when I go for coffee its up to Lake Gregory in the mountains to a little coffee house that has really good coffee:D

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a PLB with me but only for those occasions when S&R would be handy. I may get a spot just for what you suggest.
I don't know, when is a good time to come for a good time:D:D

Jerry

I'll PM you! :D

The Spot is still good if you can't push the beacon button because you have a better chance of still pushing a track signal to the satellite.

So if I stop in one location the spot keeps sending tracks unless it can't see the sky or you're in a blackout area.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I should have two sets of tires, street and dirt, but maybe a lighter more dirt oriented bike would be good but I think the wife would kill me if I got another bike, as it is she's not to happy about me wandering off the beaten path.

Starbucks, Ha Ha, even when I go for coffee its up to Lake Gregory in the mountains to a little coffee house that has really good coffee:D

Jerry

yeah i want a dirtbike now, too. maybe towards the end of this year.
my f800 is very capable, but i want a light woods bike.

let me share what i'm currently drooling over:
  • 2012 yamaha wrx450f (has EFI!)
  • husqvarna te 310
  • husaberg fe 390
  • ktm 350 EXC-F

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
yeah i want a dirtbike now, too. maybe towards the end of this year.
my f800 is very capable, but i want a light woods bike.

let me share what i'm currently drooling over:
  • 2012 yamaha wrx450f (has EFI!)
  • husqvarna te 310
  • husaberg fe 390
  • ktm 350 EXC-F

The Yamaha would be great and with efi even better.
Any of those would be fun. Check out ThumperTalk if you haven't already, lots of good info.
I had a TW200 that was a blast in the dirt, only problem was getting there, had to wring the thing out not to get ran over and I went up a tooth on the counter shaft. Helped a little but still a challenge. Heck I'd like to have an older DR but wish in one hand and you know what in the other:D

Jerry

GOBO rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...Maybe you should garage the bike if you can't right it. You will only end up getting hurt (worse) the next time.

D

Dave.TX

After years of riding in the Imperial Sand Dunes it was paramount you don't go out alone. One good thing about off roaders is we help each other out, never leave anyone stranded. Glad to hear you got help from the guys in the truck. Learn to lift your bike in your garage or driveway, or on a lawn so it won't get scratched up. You can do it. Lots of people drop 800 pound bikes (Harley's, Goldwing's, etc) and can pick them up. Your 500 pound Triumph should be easier than those.