I can't sleep.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not just tonight but most nights. I guess I'm having some stress at work. Lot's of projects that I'm leading and I can't shut off at night. Even though I get up at 4am and go to the gym for about 2 hours every day. Except weekends and then it's about 3 hours. At the end of the day I'm exhausted but soon as I lay down I'm wide awake and when/if I do fall asleep right away I usually wake in a panic after about 20 minutes. Then it's hell getting back to sleep. I don't snore much but when I'm just about to fall asleep I make a snoring noise just at the base of my sinuses and it wakes me up, This is so frustrating, I'll repeat the cycle for about a dozen times, sometimes I get pissed off and that make the situation worse and then I never get to sleep. I have some prescriptions that my doctor gave but I try to avoid them, mostly because the don't work after taking them for a while. Benadryl give a nasty hang over. I suppose I should go a see my doctor.... I with the Mexican boarder town were still a viable option I would go get something but from what I've heard customs shut that down a long time ago. It sucks..

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the work stress about? Too much work? Uncertain situation? Remember to worry about, or work on, only the stuff you can change. Allowing the rest of it to occupy your mind will, as you're finding, just drive you a little nuts.

Have you ever practiced breathing exercises? I'm not trying to get all new age or anything (yes, I'm from Berkeley, but don't hold that against me...). But seriously, I've dealt with insomnia for years. Learning to focus on the breath is an easy, drug-free way to calm the mind.

I'm up late out here on the left coast for no good reason -- playing a stupid computer game and sorta watching A Bridge Too Far. I'm off to bed... I hope you're able to get some rest.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had something similar (more minor) in the past, for similar reasons. I find exercising at night helps wipe me out and I sleep like a baby. I also find that when I'm stressed at work I tend to feel I don't have enough time to exercise, which exacerbates the problem.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found when I was working graveyard shifts I used melatonin caplets(natural). It really helped me sleep DEEP. Vivid dreams. Our local drug-stores carry it, not sure about the States.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to suggest Melatonin as well - my grandson is a special needs child and would not sleep at all until we started giving this to him. However one of the side effects is the vivid dreams/ nightmares but it doesn't happen to everyone.

I deal with insomnia as well and found that drinking hot chocolate puts me out! I know it's not supposed to because of the caffeine and all but it seems to work when I remember to do it.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you thought about sleep apnia? Your symptoms sound similar - a visit to a sleep lab can diagnose it very quickly and cure it just as quickly!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Drink a couple of whiskeys/beers before going to bed. A little bit of alcohol 0.5-1 hour before going to bed has worked for me in the past. I had some trouble falling asleep for about a week or two (tons of class work, difficiulties finding a job, etc).

Another thing that helped me out was to try and not think about anything. I've spent quite a few nights trying to fall asleep and not being able to just because I keep on thinking about crap. I think about work, about classes, hell I even think about how I can't fall asleep. Just try to relax your mind and don't think about anything. Play some relaxing music (ex: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGtTblTR0YU]YouTube - Kenny G - Song Bird[/ame] ) Imagine you're out riding your bike and don't think about anything else. Good thoughts will help you sleep like a baby. At least, that's what has worked for me :)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear about this...I've had a pattern like this in my life too...it is not
insignificant..sleep deprivation can contribute to some real health problems,
couple of things that work for me: no caffeine, even in the morning after a
restless night, it just perpetuates the cycle, eat your main meal earlier in the
day: ie, no huge dinner, you've already mentioned exercise, that also is
key to handling stress, although some people have success with mild alcohol
usage, for me it was a major problem with poor sleep, so it's gone from my
life, lastly..one of the most relaxing things I've discovered is audiobooks,
I can't describe how well it works, load'm on an ipod and listen at bedtime,
very helpful to calm down brain activity and allow sleep, only problem is the next day trying to figure out where you were in the book when you fell
asleep, good luck with this

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been an insomniac for years...Best thing i have found is to put a movie on, with the subtitles for the hard of hearing on....watch the movie, read the subtitles, and a lot of the time, you are so focussed on trying to keep up...that you forget your stress, and dose off.

:thumbup:

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem once in a while. I also hit the booze a little when it happens. For me a glass of dark red wine, or better yet, rum does the trick. If I drink Vodka, Whiskey or beer though I get fired up and stay up later listening to music or watching TV.

Just one or two drinks takes the edge off for me enough to get some sleep.

Or try a 1/2 dose of NyQuill. A full dose is great for a headcold but leaves a strange hangover. But half a dose puts you to sleep nicely.

Last edited:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know anything about your situation but a severe lack of sleep (especially for a bike rider) is never a good thing. Those brain cells need to make stuff... Get to a Dr. if they say it's because of work go to another Dr.

I dont know your age, but before you start fartin around with melatonin or other sleepy meds that people under 35 really shouldn't need, you should find out about other underlying factors or reasons. Weight, respiratory issues, nutritional intake, anxiety... see the MD

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've had surgery for sleep apnea. I still snore but not much. My problem is more anxiety related. Friday night I took a prescription that my doctor gave me (Temazepam) it really knocks me out but gives a hell of a hang over. I can't take them during the week or I would never get to work. I go through phases but this one has lasted longer than I've ever had. My doc also gave me ambien that crap doesn't work anymore. An over the counter sleep aid I've found that works is the Doxylamine version. Benadryl doesn't do much for me. If I drink alcohol I don't sleep well. One thing too is the heat. When I lived in Colorado I kept my bedroom very cold I'm talking upper 50's lower 60's with a big comforter I slept very well there. Here in Friggin' Houston,, I try to keep the AC as cold as I can at night without having a 500 dollar electric bill, here lately our elec. bill is near 300 a month. Room temp is a big factor for me.

W

wrightme43

Lack of good sleep is very much associated with getting mental illness. Get that stuff checked out man.

Also the curious case of benjiman button is a excellent sleep aid.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lack of good sleep is very much associated with getting mental illness. Get that stuff checked out man.

Also the curious case of benjiman button is a excellent sleep aid.

LOL...ah! So that's why I'm mental?

I now use the X files. I've seen them so often It takes no mental effort to keep up and I just nod orf:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem sometimes when I'm stressed about work.

I wouldn't take any drugs for it (maybe a glass of wine at night but...)

Are you driven by fear and worry? I've learned to drive out the worry which keeps me up at night by acknowledging the fact that I have succeded on countless similar projects and will do so again. I rest and tackle it again in the morning.

In summary, you have to learn to think about your challenges differntly. No matter how important it is, worrying won't help. When you're stressed and worried, you won't perform as well during the day and you won't sleep at night. Try saying ppppsssshhhhfffff.....I know I can/will get this done, so I'm not going to stress.

Be optomistic and positive, not worried and stressed.

Also....

exercise and eat well like others mentioned

do it like they do on the discovery channel

and buy a good bed

Good luck, man :thumbup:

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had the same problems since my first deployment in '06. You need to find wahat works best for you.

For me if i lay in bed for over an hour i will get up and get something small to eat and watch a little tv to clear my mind then try the sleeping thing again.

Ive also found the occasional dose of nyquil will do the trick. The tour i just came back from i was going through a bottle of nyquil every 3-4 days. That is not the best answer for an ongoing problem.

Try a new DR if yours isnt helping

W

wrightme43

Also I may take some heat for this but prayer and meditation help me as well.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope it works for you man.

Thanks, and it kicked booty. I'm a little groggy this morning and I probably shouldn't go pilot a commercial jet right now. Good thing i'm just a controls tech at a chemical plant with pyrophoric materials.

"Hey what's this button do?"

I'm kidding.