Hwy 36 run

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Posted this exact same question on the FZ1 side. But when I had my FZ6 I got a lot of good info here. So here is the question.

11 days till I head up to No Cal for a hwy 36 run. First day will be close to 500 miles up to Red Bluff spend the night. Leaving from Valencia Ca. Then hit the 36 the next day to ??? Maybe Eureka and the Lost Coast Brewery short day. Then plan to head where?? Well back to Valencia but will have another 3 days to burn. Maybe do the coast hwy 1 route back but been there done that. Looking for suggestions on a route back to So Cal from Eureka at this point. Never been to Oregon. That looks interesting.

What would you do? This will be my 40th birthday get away ride. It's gotta be epic.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When are you leaving? I'm heading out to Oregon next friday via Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Lassen National Park and Crater Lake Oregon.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
When are you leaving? I'm heading out to Oregon next friday via Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Lassen National Park and Crater Lake Oregon.

Heading out on 8/22. Have 7 days to ride. I like your route but have to do the 36. Got GPS tracks? Maybe we can meet up. Other then the doing the 36 I am open for anything.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So you want to do what kind of riding and you've already seen all of HWY 1 south of HWY 36? Give me more info on the amount of miles you want to do and the type of roads you're into. Want to do anything else along the way or just pure riding?

Starting in Redbluff, here are some suggestions.

DAY 1 (Redbluff to Eureka): MAP

DAY 2 (Eureka to Willits): MAP 2

DAY 3 (Willits to Hollister): MAP 3

DAY 4 (Hollister to Home): MAP 4 I really left this one up to you as it's your home turf

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
7 days to ride??? You said 1 up, 1 over, plus three more...that's 5. If you have 7 and are going to ride for 7 then I would add in some Northern Sierra riding before hitting 36 and starting your way back down....or I would take 3 all the way up to Etna and maybe 96 around back to 299. But if you're into goatier stuff then there are other options as well. Camping or hotels?

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
7 days to ride??? You said 1 up, 1 over, plus three more...that's 5. If you have 7 and are going to ride for 7 then I would add in some Northern Sierra riding before hitting 36 and starting your way back down....or I would take 3 all the way up to Etna and maybe 96 around back to 299. But if you're into goatier stuff then there are other options as well. Camping or hotels?

I have 7 days to ride if I want. But had just planned to 5 days. Just depends on the ride.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I liked your maps, Nate. I rode 36 last week in my car and it was still fun. 153 miles.......2200 corners...awesome.

I printed and save your maps for another day.

Thanks,

Randy

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
So you want to do what kind of riding and you've already seen all of HWY 1 south of HWY 36? Give me more info on the amount of miles you want to do and the type of roads you're into. Want to do anything else along the way or just pure riding?

Starting in Redbluff, here are some suggestions.

DAY 1 (Redbluff to Eureka): MAP

DAY 2 (Eureka to Willits): MAP 2

DAY 3 (Willits to Hollister): MAP 3

DAY 4 (Hollister to Home): MAP 4 I really left this one up to you as it's your home turf

These are perfect routes just the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'll be staying in Hotels. No major push to get max mileage in per day. Just a good day of riding and checking out the sites. Thanks I'll probably use your maps.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
One option is take the Nacimiento road from Highway 1 to King City. Very goaty and lots of gravel, dirt on road so not much road race (but some) and you get to go through an army base. If you want, I can post up some pics of my cruise through there last month. DefyInertia can tell you about it also.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
These are perfect routes just the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'll be staying in Hotels. No major push to get max mileage in per day. Just a good day of riding and checking out the sites. Thanks I'll probably use your maps.

Cool....you can drop pieces off to cut the mileage etc. :thumbup:

I liked your maps, Nate. I rode 36 last week in my car and it was still fun. 153 miles.......2200 corners...awesome.

I printed and save your maps for another day.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy, did you count the corners or read that some where??? :D I've done it in a Miata...fun. Hitting it up tomorrow on the FZ6 actually.

If you want, I can post up some pics of my cruise through there last month..

oh yeah, how did you like it?

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
One option is take the Nacimiento road from Highway 1 to King City. Very goaty and lots of gravel, dirt on road so not much road race (but some) and you get to go through an army base. If you want, I can post up some pics of my cruise through there last month. DefyInertia can tell you about it also.

Cool road lets see the pics. I've only ridden it once. I did the road the opposite direction.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool road lets see the pics. I've only ridden it once. I did the road the opposite direction.

Already have done it--oh well. Here are photos:

Here is the easy-to-miss entrance (southbound Highway 1 view)
6037802947_a8be1be6d0_b.jpg

As you can imagine, often there is gravel, small rocks, dirt on the asphalt.
6038347132_d588900dec_b.jpg

Don't wander off too far; it's a dud/landmine area!
6038341362_bb2be6cf07_b.jpg

There was nobody checking docs/id upon my entry; just drive right through.
6038339080_30f0ba0929_b.jpg

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Just want to say what a great fourm this is. Always good info very little attitude.

I am on a FZ1 now but still love this forum. DefyInerta thanks for the maps they will be my route. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

The members overall on this fourm are First Class!! Thanks for all the help. I'll continue to hang here with you all no matter what I am riding. Thanks.