HP mods

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a 2008 fz6s and am wondering what engine mods you all got. At the moment i have a set of micron slip ons, pipercross air filter, and have changed the sprockets.
Would like to get a fair bit more power out of it and am just wondering what mods you guys/girls have got?
Am not looking for anymore topend speed, I just want it to be snappy and pull very hard.

Thanks
Joe

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
14700_14760nos.jpg

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want more "omph" down low, -1 tooth sprocket in the front would help considerably, and is cheap... You mention you changed the sprockets already, but what did you replace the stockers with?

Otherwise check out Wolfman's thread about the big bore kit, which might give you some noticeable low end power as well...

You're last mod if you need more low-end after that would be to look at v-twin motorcycles :)

Edit: btw, your title should be "Torque mods", because HP mods won't necessarily give you the "hard pull" you asked for... interesting read here: http://www.stealthauto.com/horsepowertorque.aspx

Last edited:

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want more "omph" down low, -1 tooth sprocket in the front would help considerably, and is cheap... You mention you changed the sprockets already, but what did you replace the stockers with?

Otherwise check out Wolfman's thread about the big bore kit, which might give you some noticeable low end power as well...

You're last mod if you need more low-end after that would be to look at v-twin motorcycles :)

Edit: btw, your title should be "Torque mods", because HP mods won't necessarily give you the "hard pull" you asked for... interesting read here: Horsepower Vs. Torque - What the Heck is the difference? - Stealth Auto

I have gone -1 on front and +2 on the rear already.
I am looking to make the bike a real weapon down the quarter mile. Would like to break into the 10s if possible.
I am sick of spending money on my car cause at the moment it will only do mid 13s and have spent ****loads on it, so i thought i would try this for some blood pumping fun.

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
also on the v-twins, I am not a big fan, I gotta a mate that has a sv1000 with pwr comander 3 and exhaust and from lights to lights we are dead even, And this is before i dropped a the front sprocket 1 tooth.

bradms38

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Joe,

It seems like you have done alot in the way of increasing the performance of your bike. I also have tweaked my bike to get the most bang for my buck. I installed aftermarket pipes, a K&N air filter, a front sprocket -1 tooth standard from stock. The one thing I added to marry the improvements of the non-stock airfilter and exhaust was to have a power commander installed. I was informed by the Yamaha Pro Shop that I frequent that this will produce the most benefit from those mods. Another step I took was to modify my plastic airbox lid. There is a link on this site somewhere that shows you how to do it. Basically a dremel tool and sandpaper is all I used. Some of the non-traditional things I did to increase performance was to remove the extra weight by unbolting and removing the bike stand. I wouldn't suggest trying to shave weight by removing the passenger footpegs/brackets. I did this and lost my balance stopping one time and it allowed the passenger rear seat holds to get chipped up on that side. FYI - do you have frame sliders? Mine have paid for themselves many times over, cheap insurance for your bikes plastic. Shop around and you can get them pretty inexpensively. I also dropped about 55lbs (used to weigh 236 lbs). I called a performance shop in Erie, PA and they said I had done about all I could without adding NOS which requires engine mods. I don't want to get into that and stress my motor out. I just wanted to provide a little more power than stock without dumping alot of money into the bike.

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi bradms38,
Yeah i also cut taht stupid little tube bit outta the air box so the air goes straight threw alot easier. I just made it up as i went with a diegrinder :D
I been thinking of a pwr commander 3 for it but wasnt sure if it get much of a gain outta it with just the basic mods. i was even thinkin on eliminating the catalic convertor and see if that helps.
Even try out a new set of cams or headwork.
not real keen on the nitrous idea because i want all the power to be ridable all the time.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man, but if you want a real power increase it's just better to get another bike.

FZ1, Speed triple, R1, etz ....

You could get more HP out of the 6 but with a lot of money and a less reliable bike as a result.
If you like modding your bike, go ahead.
But if your just looking for more power, I think you should look @ a 1000cc bike.
No 600 has real low end grunt ...

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
....I wouldn't suggest trying to shave weight by removing the passenger footpegs/brackets. I did this and lost my balance stopping one time and it allowed the passenger rear seat holds to get chipped up on that side.

Actually this will happen with or without passenger pegs - has happened on mine twice with the passenger pegs on.

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man, but if you want a real power increase it's just better to get another bike.

FZ1, Speed triple, R1, etz ....

You could get more HP out of the 6 but with a lot of money and a less reliable bike as a result.
If you like modding your bike, go ahead.
But if your just looking for more power, I think you should look @ a 1000cc bike.
No 600 has real low end grunt ...

But i like my bike so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Flash:
Speed tipple not that much more powerfull. Have riden a 05 model and wasnt to inpressed. the only problem i thought of with a bigger bike is that i only 60kg and di\on think i beable to handle it so well, but i can only try hey.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I like my bike as well.
I was thinking about upgrading, but I would need to spend 4500-5000 euro's for a bike of my liking.
With 1500 euro's of mods I would get my bike like I want it ( ok maybe a bit more :D ).
Lacking power isn't realy a big deal @ the track.
If I start running under 1.50 I might go and look for a faster full-on race bike.

The 2008 speed triples have 130hp with a lot more torque then our 600cc.

But I understand you somehow, I've rode a Buell 1125R 2 weeks ago and was expecting whooohaaa power ... big dissapointment. It goes good! But not boner fast :D.

On the other hand, I've got track ambitions.
You are more a 1/4 mile kinda guy.
The FZ6 strong point is more the handeling bike, not really off the line power power power.

It's all about descisions:(

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Well would a power comander and a custom tune give me much of a gain?

I cant afford another bike, mine is only 14 months old and am still paying off the bank :(