How to use Trickle Battery Charger

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the one i have :
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474396674307&bmUID=1226607647357&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443210745&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Should i keep my battery plugged to in 24/7
or let it empty itself then plug it in for it to recharge ?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I never use a trickle charger.... Even though some manufacturers emphasise the word trickle, they (some) may end up over charging your battery. All I have ever done is peak the battery every few weeks or so with just a common 1amp charger... Meaning I never leave my battery(s) permanently plugged in to any kind of charger when the bike is in storage...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Your link is a pain, so I'll just throw this out: If the charger has an automatic "float" or "maintenance" mode, then you can leave it plugged in. If not, don't leave it plugged in.

a trickle charger is different froma regular charger in the amount of amperage it throws at the battery at one time. Regular chargers charge at 2+ amps whereas a trickle charger is less than 2 amps. Trickle chargers are safer for the battery, but will take longer for the battery to charge/recharge.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
PatrickS, you are in Montreal, that means bike will be parked somewhere under the cover for next 6 months. You have to use trickle charger otherwise you will be buying new battery when sun comes up in May!
Battery will simply self discharge below 9V or less and than it is permanently ruined. Trickle charger will keep it up for indefinite period of time. Trickle means really small current flow, maybe 10 mA or something like that. You can make it yourself and it won't cost you more than 30 bucks. Transformer + stabilized power supply module and some wires is all needed.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of removing my battery and then storing it with a charger somewhere in my house.

I still have some stuff to consider so I haven't decided if this is a good idea or not yet.

I've heard that if you leave a battery on the ground (charging or not) it will die after a little while.

Anyone else heard of that?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
PatrickS, you are in Montreal, that means bike will be parked somewhere under the cover for next 6 months. You have to use trickle charger otherwise you will be buying new battery when sun comes up in May!
Battery will simply self discharge below 9V or less and than it is permanently ruined. Trickle charger will keep it up for indefinite period of time. Trickle means really small current flow, maybe 10 mA or something like that. You can make it yourself and it won't cost you more than 30 bucks. Transformer + stabilized power supply module and some wires is all needed.

That's not true. My battery lasted for 4 years, and I only used a tender for the last winter.

W

wrightme43

It depends on alot of factors.
One way you can extend the life of a battery is to use a trickle charger. My bike gets plugged into a charger every night.
Doesnt assure that the battery will last longer, just helps it to have a better chance to last.