How to tell I'm in 4th gear; does it apply to you?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you'all notice that in 4th gear, your RPM is equal to your indicated speed times 100? For example, 40mph is ~4000RPM, 70mph is ~7000RPM.

I tend to be in 4th a lot. So I know if the RPM is lower than what I expect, I must be in 5th; if the RPM is higher than what I expect, I'm in 3rd. If it's higher and the bike is throttle is really sensitive, I'm in 2nd, etc. If I'm at 6000RPM running 74mph, that's 6th -- not used that much.

I have a 2008 FZ6 so maybe it applies only to that year but would be interested to see if other years exhibit the same behavior.

I guess I don't need that gear indicator :D.

Thanks,

Dennis

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis,
This is actually very helpful. I've only had my 2006 for a short while so I am still getting used to gear ranges. I already hate when I go hunting for 7th gear, LOL :p

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! So many gears.....so little time.
BTW: IMO Yamaha did an excellent job of setting up the ratios and curves for these babies. I was riding today, (49 degrees F here), and I was thinking of what a great job they've done in choosing these ratios - but irregardless, these bikes are great. They will lug like a tractor, they will scream like a banshee, yet they will get great economy no matter how you ride them!
Merry Christmas!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
That's interesting that it is 4th for you. I had the same realization about 5th gear on my 2006 FZ6... something I discovered after searching for 7th gear too many times. I saw = in 5th, 1000 lower in 6th, 1000 high in 4th. To my knowledge, they didn't change the gear ratios at any point on the FZ, so I wonder why the discrepancy.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting Dennis, I have noticed very similar rpm/mph but my speeds are slightly slower ex: 6th gear at 6000 is 70 even. But overall very close I would guess that new tires might affect the speeds that much or you are less than 180 lbs, I am on an 06. That info keeps me from looking for 7th gear.;) most of the time.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at my 06 today after reading this thread earlier, and I also noticed that 5th gear is closer to what was described about 4000rpms was equal or closer to 40 mph, and so on. 4th was below and 6th was higher.

ervar

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I have the FZ6 2007 -model. When I'm in 6th gear the speed is (rews*2)/100. This means when I'm driving 60km/h the rews are 3000, at 80 km/h the rews are 4000 and so forth. This prevents me from looking for the 7th gear... :eek:)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
That's interesting that it is 4th for you. I had the same realization about 5th gear on my 2006 FZ6... something I discovered after searching for 7th gear too many times. I saw = in 5th, 1000 lower in 6th, 1000 high in 4th. To my knowledge, they didn't change the gear ratios at any point on the FZ, so I wonder why the discrepancy.

That is weird; maybe there is a ratio change. I'm running stock sprockets (at least for next several days) and stock speedo (no speedo healer yet).

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting Dennis, I have noticed very similar rpm/mph but my speeds are slightly slower ex: 6th gear at 6000 is 70 even. But overall very close I would guess that new tires might affect the speeds that much or you are less than 180 lbs, I am on an 06. That info keeps me from looking for 7th gear.;) most of the time.

Hm... for me, 6th @ 6000RPM is 74mph -- that's my 6th gear indicator. I think I run 36/42 and maybe a little lower most of the time. I'm about 182lbs in full riding clothes/gear (165lbs otherwise).

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I went one down on the front ,so that won't work for me .
Guess I,ll keep using my gear indicator ;)

I hope to be joining the 15T front sprocket club soon. But I'm getting a Speedo Healer too. I'm tempted to try it without the Speedo Healer first just for grins.

Dennis

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis,
Let us all know who 15t feels off the line. I happen to like the stock gearing with the exception of the trickiness of getting it smooth off the line (still a newbie). 15t seems like a very easy mod that should help the launch without causing a much higher rev at freeway speeds.. A good compromise, I think

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
This was all the excuse I needed to ride! Here in Fort Worth I had company for the last several days, but they're gone now. So, I had to take Sarah out for a ride! It's 35 degrees, but with my heated Gerbings gloves and jacket liner I was plenty toasty. Oh, and thanks to the new battery tender I don't worry about draining the batter in one day of riding.

My 2009 blue FZ6 has the exact same gearing as the OP's In 4th at 50, I'm hitting 5000 RPMs exactly. Same for 4000 at 40, etc. Nice to know, since I hadn't picked up on it before.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I go by the 10,11, 12 rule.

In 4th gear my speed is roughly 10x the revs (4k=40mph), in 5th gear it's 11x the revs (5k=55mph) and in 6th gear it's about 12.5 (6k=75mph or so I am told). That's how I work it out !

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thats some serious multi tasking..if avoiding animals, potholes, gravel, the demonic cagers and choosing the right line in the twisties isnt enough.. you guys are all doing eqations too..do you get time to enjoy the ride?? ;)JK:D

hearny

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you'all notice that in 4th gear, your RPM is equal to your indicated speed times 100? For example, 40mph is ~4000RPM, 70mph is ~7000RPM.

I tend to be in 4th a lot. So I know if the RPM is lower than what I expect, I must be in 5th; if the RPM is higher than what I expect, I'm in 3rd. If it's higher and the bike is throttle is really sensitive, I'm in 2nd, etc. If I'm at 6000RPM running 74mph, that's 6th -- not used that much.

I have a 2008 FZ6 so maybe it applies only to that year but would be interested to see if other years exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi after 6000 miles i had not noticed but yes i have a fz6 08 and 4th gear does match the speed as you state. an excellent tip thank you!.

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
....I tend to be in 4th a lot. So I know if the RPM is lower than what I expect, I must be in 5th; if the RPM is higher than what I expect, I'm in 3rd. If it's higher and the bike is throttle is really sensitive, I'm in 2nd, etc. If I'm at 6000RPM running 74mph, that's 6th -- not used that much.

Thanks,

Dennis

Well, i don't figure out. What's the problem? You cannot recognize which gear you are now? Yes??? In this case you are really cool guys!:rockon:
I'll give an advice to you))))
If your RPM is 13000 and your speed is 140 mph, you have two options: buy FZ1, and second one is try to find out the 7th gear))))

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I tested it the other day... spot on 4,000 rpm at 40 mph in 4th

And so what? by the way, happy new year!!!!
If you are real rider, you should gear up at 14K RPM only!!! Really, i don't understand what exactly we are talkig about here? ))))))