How to: Replace Clutch???

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're really paranoid, you could take the clutch out and measure the friction plates and springs. There's minimum specs in the service manual

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do the 07's have the coolant reservoir under the seat? Maybe its leaking dripping but coolant unless its water smells very sweet.

My 08 takes its share of thrills induced by my wrist and I must say that the oil stinks in no time at all. I dumped the Mobil 1 Synthetic with 2000 miles on it and it gave me headache! Just smelled nasty. The clutch doesn't slip but its not the strongest thing ever either and its at 15,000 miles young.

I will say the pipes are notorious for collecting bits and cooking them. . . But i would start by Lubing the clutch cable and adjust it.
Address the clutch issue if its slipping i.e. engine flares between gears.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try gunning it in a safe place. I have yet to feel any slippage yet. It also just seems weird how far out I have to let the clutch before it bites. I had an SV650 before and I would let out the clutch like 3/4in at it would grab.

Different manufactuers have their clutch engagement zones in different area's of the lever travel.

I had a Suzuki 650 Savage, the clutch engagment travel was completly different than my other bikes, however that's just how their designed. If you don't feel / see the difference between acceleration and RPM's on your FZ, the clutch is likely fine. BTW, I bought my bike (also an 2007) from friend who bought it as a beginner bike for his son, the bike saw alot of stalls, etc, everything expected from a new rider. I got it with about 4500 miles on it.. Its now at apporx 13,500 and the clutch is fine..

Finalimpact (Randy), yes the overflow tank is ahead of the engine and yes, the overflow hose for the coolant tank is indeed right above the header and could dump anti freeze on the header if it overflows...

For the OP, check the over flow tank for fluid level on the centerstand. It is somewhat difficult to see the level, you may have to pull the rubber cover off located on the right side. If its overfilled, there's two bolts that secure the tank or siphon some out. That may very well be your smell..

See below pic's

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
surely you can test if it's slipping by having it in a higher gear, and trying to blip the throttle, revs should be linked to bike speed

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're really paranoid, you could take the clutch out and measure the friction plates and springs. There's minimum specs in the service manual

This is an excellent suggestion. Go to Youtube and search for motorcycle clutch replacement. There are a ton of how-to videos. It is really an easy job once you understand how the clutch is assembled.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the clutch on my 6R not long ago. I took pictures for a how too but never had a chance to do it. Very easy to do.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, So! I think I figured out the smell. I found an oil leak. Under the seat by where the clutch cable runs. Coming from a part of the engine adjacent (toward the rear of the bike) from the cylinder block. I found some oil there leaking onto the clutch cable. Thoughts?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless its hitting the hot exhaust a little oil dribble on the block is not likely to cause a smell or smoke screen. I don't think thats it. The block seldom sees temps over 220F so nothing is going "flash off" like a 1500F header.

Lubing the cable with 30wt motor oil as suggested in the manual will lead to black slurry from the cables exit.

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Lubing the cable with 30wt motor oil as suggested in the manual will lead to black slurry from the cables exit.

I did have the cable lubed recently. I think I had it lubed after the smell started. So you think the amber colored oil was just from lining the clutch cable?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Different manufactuers have their clutch engagement zones in different area's of the lever travel.

As for your first comment; VERY true! All bikes are different, ours is tight which is good for quick shifts, but bad for NEWBIES learning a clutch! lol

Finalimpact (Randy), yes the overflow tank is ahead of the engine and yes, the overflow hose for the coolant tank is indeed right above the header and could dump anti freeze on the header if it overflows...

I wasn't sure where the S1 cut off is regarding over flow tank. The early bikes have them under the seat. But ya, ours at the front of the block are easy to keep an eye on.

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I did smell my brakes after riding to school and the smell did not seem to be coming from the front or rear brakes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch cable, as it comes across the bike from the left side to the right side, when lubed (or over lubed) will collect oil in a low spot about in the middle of the engine.

After lubing my cable one day, s..t! Oil leak on the floor... Traced it back to the clutch cable itself. (I currently have a piece of paper towel, literally folded up and resides at that low spot (all the time)tucks in nicely between the cable and transmission, very un-noticable. And no, it has never got close to catching fire)...

As I re-call, the leak came down the left side if the engine but I found it and cleaned it before riding the bike so I don't remember any burning smell.

If it did make it to the exhaust, you'd see a dark brown residue where the oil did get to... Clean the cable real good, try and follow the path, see if it does indeed hit the exhaust.

IMHO, I'd put a small piece of folded paper towel at the low point of the clutch cable. Maybe change it out when washing, etc.. It won't hurt anything...

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates???

So I have been riding it pretty frequently and the smell is still their each time with varying intensity. I opened the oil fill hole on the clutch cover after a ride and noticed no unusual odor. It seems like the smell is coming from the exhaust pipe where it heads straight up and then goes up to the tail. I am trying to figure out if maybe some insulation has failed or something I put in the storage slipped down onto something very hot. I no longer think it is the clutch because it has yet to slip on me. The adjustment of the clutch cable is still concerning as it seems like I shouldn't have had to adjust it out as far a I did.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

Make sure you soak the friction plates in oil for several hours...

Also, pay attention to the marks on the inner hub, they must match up with the outer clutch "Boss".

Obviously, the friction/steel plate order must be replaced exactly as they came out....

ive no need to mess with my clutch at 4500 miles so i havent. but when you say BOSS is that the same as a BASKET the only clutches ive messed with were on MX/Enduro bikes. dont know if street bikes use the same Basket & Hub type set-up, but friction plates and spacer steels sound like a good indicator.