How to: paint your bar ends

gilgamesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Step -1: After writing this post I discovered Boneman's post right here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/16967-how-paint-basic-guide.html
Please read it before painting your stuff. This guy knows his s**t.

0. Shopping list. You'll need:
- 1 can of car grade spray paint
- 1 can of car grade spray primer (preferably the same brand and type as your paint, they usually complement each other). I used dupli-color primer and paint.
- Sandpaper ~250 grit, and ~600 grit
- Spark plug wire brush. Mine looks like this: http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/images/T/PB09-01.jpg
- Masking tape
- 2 pieces of random wire ( to dry the bar ends by hanging them upon something)
- Rubber gloves to keep your hands nice and clean.
- Some large sheets of paper, newspaper, or cardboard to protect your painting environment, garage, home, whatever
- Rubbing alcohol and some rags

1. Preparing your parts. Strip your old paint off the bar ends and parts you want to be painted. For this you're going to use both your sandpaper and your spark plug brush (personally i liked the brush better as it worked faster and gave the metal a nice brushed look). You need to strip all of the old paint down to the metal.

2. Cleaning the parts. Clean and degrease your metal parts with some rubbing alcohol on your rag and dry them. Try not to touch the to-be-painted surfaces from now on.

3. Protect the parts that you don't want to be painted with masking tape. I put masking tape on bar end thread to keep them un-painted. Tie the bar ends with some wire by the threads in order to hang them later for drying. Protect your garage and place your cardboard, paper or whatever on the ground and around the place where you'll be painting.

4. Primer. Read the instructions on the primer and paint can. You should agitate the primer/paint for some minutes before using them. Now put on your gloves and with one hand keep your bar end by the masked thread and with the other hand start to apply the primer by spraying it in short rounds (like half a second) and very thin layers in order to avoid the primer/paint running off. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Coat your part with about 3 layers of primer but wait a few minutes between layers to allow the primer to settle and not run off.

5. Hang your parts by the wire somewhere for drying. Let the primer dry for at least 15 minutes.

6. Painting. This step is essentially identical to the priming step. Paint in thin layers (i'm serious here) and wait a couple of minutes between layers.

7. Repeat step 5, for about 30 minutes.

8. DONE. Gratification time. Apply a thin coat of white lithium grease on the threads and install the bar ends on your bike.

Result:

56633d1430733814-how-paint-your-bar-ends-img_0937-jpg

Painted my horn as well:

56634d1430734096-how-paint-your-bar-ends-img_0940-jpg

Last edited: