How to NOT clean chain: *[GRAPHIC]*

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran my pointer finger through a bicycle front sprocket 20ish years ago, 1 tooth of the gear poked through my fingernail and because of the pedal brakes I had to finish turning it to get out of it. Lesson learned! When it came to chain maintenance on the MC, touching the chain while its moving never came to mind....and after seeing this I'm glad!

Hope you heal up quick and can get back to riding!!

Yeah that's how i see it now as well.

This guy made me so greatful. His was awful...
How NOT to clean your chain. **GRAPHIC PICS*** : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Turn to page 21 to see the "after" pics

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, sorry Dude. That's real ugly! But thanks for the post to remind everyone to respect that chain and sproket.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry for your accident!!!!!!

Indeed it seems "easier" to have the bike running while on the center stand to clean up the chain, every time I would read anything about cleaning the chain it would warn and remind people NOT TO HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!!!!!

I'm glad I have always used my hand to move the wheel and I move it backwards while cleaning the lowest portion of the back sprocket, so then chain is moving away from the sprocket.

I hope you heal soon!!!!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Man you must have been hopped up on pain meds to take that picture... that or in shock lol.... when i whacked two of my fingers with a hatchet i couldnt stop shaking, keeping my hand in one place just made it hurt worse....

Hope you recover quickly... i hear ya about the time off, work in a factory myself and i don't think i've worked less than 60 hours since i started 4 months ago... must be nice to have time off :thumbup: (no pun intended with the thumbup smiley) :ban:

Here's to a speedy recovery!

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your hand. You are VERY lucky that it wasn't worse... it easily could have been.

I recommend you invest in one of these:

grunge-brush.gif

I think i'm gonna have to. Not only because it is an obvious much safer method, but that will save quite a bit of time rather than doing it with one brush!

I actually thought the Gixxer guy was so famous that nobody did it that way anymore.

I can only wish i would have been aware prior. :rolleyes:

As far as the vacay man, since you're east cost and close, i'd look at the smokey mountains. Gatlinburg is fun, and so is Cherokee. Hiking, canoing, muesums, white water rafting, aquariums, you name it, it's up there. If you want to camp, the Mile High Campgroud in Cherokee is awesome. That high up, it's cool no matter the temp in the valley. Bugs are scarce too. Just up the road is a national park campground and at the end of that is a 12 mile semi-developed road that was the only way up a few years ago. The views are spectacular, and the road is a hoot too. Just don't expect to go faster than 5-10 mph. It's bumpy.

And if you're up for riding, some of the best roads in the world are there. If nothing else, it's $60 to rent a scooter for the day and scoot through some of the back roads near Gatlinburg.

Thanks for some info! I think riding all the way to NC may be a bit extreme in my circumstances but thanks for the idea! Looking at pictures now, I would love to ride there.

Hey I really do feel your pain I did the same minus the glove. I crushed the bone and mushed my thumb. I had to have surgery the following morning.

Never again will I rag down my clean chain with engine running.

Dan

P.s. But on the plus side I had health cover that covered me for amputations. So got paid out £1500 for my mishap.

How much length you lose? And do you have any still existing pains in the thumb from the injury? Do you remember how long the recovery time took?

How did ya make out getting paid? I'm hopefully going to be receiving workers comp.

Sorry about 21 questions but i'm very interested lol

35 years riding bikes and I never even considered cleaning the chain with the engine running. That is way too dangerous even to an observer. You are lucky you didn't have your wrist further in there or had your fingers wrapped around the chain. Lesson learned and I hope you heal up ok.

This most definitely opened up my mind that i'm NOT invincible, bad things DO happen and i will be sure as hell to keep my distance from moving machinery and pinch points.

I do realize how lucky i made out. Just sucks for right now.

Thanks for posting. Maybe it can prevent somebody else from the same accident.

Hope you all benefit from my mistake!

Wow!! Glad it wasn't worse. I thought of doing this but then thought better of it. Can't believe no one said anything about your plan to use a wire brush to clean the chain, DON'T, the wire brush will ruin the O-rings causing your chain to fail much quicker. That chain brush posted previously looks VERY handy and very SAFE! Heal quickly and get off the pain pills as soon as you can without suffering to much. I took morphine to long after an encounter with a chainsaw and had a bad time detoxing,, NO FUN!! If you go to the Smokeys take lots of $$$$ unless your idea of fun is hiking trails! Good luck and heal-up quick. Rich,,, PS: Your bike is the nicest silver framed one I've seen!!:rockon: Looks much better than your thumb! Sorry for the joke, I couldn't stop myself. :ban:

Wow i cleaned the whole thing with a wire brush yesterday. Damn it...hope that didn't do too much damage lol.

I was just prescribed 30 lortabs and 120 Tylenol with codein. Have about 4 tabs left, haven't taken any in days and i tried out about 4 of the tylenols. Can't believe they gave me so much. But i could imagine coming off of morphine would be hard, they have REHAB for that! haha

Thanks for the compliment on the bike! It is evident that it was in good hands in regards to the previous 2 owners.

Man you must have been hopped up on pain meds to take that picture... that or in shock lol.... when i whacked two of my fingers with a hatchet i couldnt stop shaking, keeping my hand in one place just made it hurt worse....

Hope you recover quickly... i hear ya about the time off, work in a factory myself and i don't think i've worked less than 60 hours since i started 4 months ago... must be nice to have time off :thumbup: (no pun intended with the thumbup smiley) :ban:

Here's to a speedy recovery!
Well i didn't receive ANY pain medication up til about 2 and half hours after the accident. But you're right, the thing was wrapped up most of the time so i had to get some pics when it was opened! They had just finished shooting in the local anesthetic into pretty much the bone of my thumb which is also why it looks so fat. Those pics are 2 of about 15 i took because i they were all out of focus/blurry/shaky. It was so hard haha.

Yeah but i'm be so unproductive i actually want to go back to work already. So sick of sitting around. But wow you just through a double pun at me holy ****!

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the local anesthetic as well, and they put it in my fingers way down in the webbing of my fingers and i could feel the lady keep poking my bone and poking the other side of my finger, that didn't feel good... it was my first time getting stitches and i was like " what do you mean your going to rip my nail off then poke a hook through my nail bed?!" ..."what do you mean it won't hurt?! that sure as hell sounds like it's gonna hurt!" then i got all panicky because i thought i wasn't numb enough from the local anesthetic, but it worked... IT didn't help they were training a lady on doing stitches and i was the test dummy :eek:

Having 2 numb fingers for two days was odd too, almost maddening... then stitch itch.... thats just as bad...

Anyhow hope you heal up ASAP!

I won't be cutting corners with the engine on to clean the chain (sounds like something i'd do) So thank you for the reality check :(

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
**** that is ****ty. I hope the healing is quick and you 're not too affected by this. I don't think it's ever said enough: DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CHAIN WITH THE BIKE ON OR RUNNING!!!!!

Jim(tm)

Reaction score
Visit site
When I saw the title I expected it would be a repost of some pix I saw on the KLR650 forum a couple years ago. That guy lost the tips of his index and middle fingers doing the exact same thing.

Hope you heal up fast.

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the local anesthetic as well, and they put it in my fingers way down in the webbing of my fingers and i could feel the lady keep poking my bone and poking the other side of my finger, that didn't feel good... it was my first time getting stitches and i was like " what do you mean your going to rip my nail off then poke a hook through my nail bed?!" ..."what do you mean it won't hurt?! that sure as hell sounds like it's gonna hurt!" then i got all panicky because i thought i wasn't numb enough from the local anesthetic, but it worked... IT didn't help they were training a lady on doing stitches and i was the test dummy :eek:

Having 2 numb fingers for two days was odd too, almost maddening... then stitch itch.... thats just as bad...

Anyhow hope you heal up ASAP!

I won't be cutting corners with the engine on to clean the chain (sounds like something i'd do) So thank you for the reality check :(

Yeah the local was horrible. It's pretty much injected into your bone/ligaments. But yeah that numbed me up completely for quite a bit. They were almost done after like 15 mins or so and i bet they hit some nerve and all of a sudden i started feeling them again and was like **** i FEEL THAT.

Also had an intern in there and the physio was young as well. Kept stalling because he didn't know what he should do. Was kind of getting me scared.

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
**** that is ****ty. I hope the healing is quick and you 're not too affected by this. I don't think it's ever said enough: DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CHAIN WITH THE BIKE ON OR RUNNING!!!!!

I am really hoping for this to have zero effect on anything i do. I only lost about a 1/2 inch at MOST from the very tip. I don't find myself using that part much often? I would say i could ride the bike right now but i don't want to put pressure on the thumb which still has an open wound.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry dude - that suck but as said, you have most everything so you'll be OK.
You can tell your grand kids a tiger bit it off! :)

When I was kid we were out dirt bike riding. A friend reached for twig caught in the spokes and rolled his bike ahead with his hand in the chain. Took his fingers right off at snails pace (engine off). It sucked riding him home to his moms. Teach em young, he had no dad and no guidance.

neumanntm

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! I am very sorry to hear about your accident. Damn machine can be a monster, can't it? I hope everything goes well in your recovery. Take care man.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran my pointer finger through a bicycle front sprocket 20ish years ago, 1 tooth of the gear poked through my fingernail and because of the pedal brakes I had to finish turning it to get out of it. Lesson learned! When it came to chain maintenance on the MC, touching the chain while its moving never came to mind....and after seeing this I'm glad!

Hope you heal up quick and can get back to riding!!

Turn to page 21 to see the "after" pics
another reason why not to use WD 40 on your chain.....

TaiwanTony

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, hope it heals soon. I must admit I am totally guilty of such acts, except I tend to use 1st gear... Ahem, maybe I should look at your photos one more time. Last time I hurt myself in the garage was when my Norton backfired on the kickstart. I flew (yes) 5 meters into the brick wall. So now I got myself an fz. Much more user friendly!

nudgedoink

Reaction score
Visit site
hey bro so sorry to see you experience such an ordeal. ever thought of installing a scottoiler? with it on you can either never clean your chain or clean them very rarely, since grime and dirt don't get stuck due to constant oiling. have on on my fz and never regretted it.