How to install a 12v Cig lighter socket + mounting solutions??

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Hi guys,

Can anybody please tell me how to install a 12v cig lighter type socket on my bike? Something like this:

Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

I am a new rider and a complete noob at all things mechanical... Some rider friends told me a socket can be clipped straight onto the battery terminals? But then where do those fuses go?

Also it would be great if some of you could share ideas where on the bike can the socket be mounted for easy access..

Thanks...

Hi guys,

Can anybody please tell me how to install a 12v cig lighter type socket on my bike? Something like this:

Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

I am a new rider and a complete noob at all things mechanical... Some rider friends told me a socket can be clipped straight onto the battery terminals? But then where do those fuses go?

Also it would be great if some of you could share ideas where on the bike can the socket be mounted for easy access..

Thanks...

I believe the fuse would go in-line on the red (hot side). I think their giving you the option of where exactly you want the fuse mounted. Its included (obviously).

I WOULD NOT install any aftermarket accessory without a fuse.

On my FZ, I mounted a BMW style (from Powerlet-

( Standard Powerlet Socket - Powerlet Products )

on the left side of the bike(by the rear peg mount) after making an aluminum bracket for it(bolted behind the rear set). I use it for the battery charger, electric clothing, air pump, etc. The cap is spring loaded so you can't forget to close it. Its waterproof so you don't have to attach any switches. Its attached direct to the battery (thru a 15 amp fuse).

P1010096.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted mine under the seat. I added a switch with mine.

I used a safety toggle that way as long as the toggle cover was down there was no way the power would be on. I wanted to be able to switch between both headlights and the 12v socket if I needed to.

Thanks guys.. i will attempt this soon. So does the fuse go into the red wire? i guess ill splice it and then waterproof the contacts. Out of interest... what is right gauge of fuse to be used here and how would you figure out the required value if the socket came with no fuse?

Thanks guys.. i will attempt this soon. So does the fuse go into the red wire? i guess ill splice it and then waterproof the contacts. Out of interest... what is right gauge of fuse to be used here and how would you figure out the required value if the socket came with no fuse?

Sockets should be labeled or identified somehow as to their maximum current capacity. If it's not labeled, it's likely a cheapo and I would question its quality. Use whatever fuse it says. If there is no indication, I'd use a 10A. That's generally safe and on a bike you probably won't be plugging in 10A worth of accessories (you'll kill the battery if you do, alternator doesn't have that much overhead). General rule of thumb though is you fuse for your wire gauge.

If you look on eBay you can find these as a kit for a couple of quid.

Something like This one

They come with a fuse already inline so you just connect them to the battery and away you go. I think I put spade connectors on mine so I could slip them under the battery terminal bolts (the holes are smaller than the diameter of the bolts).

For mounting mine feeds out the front of the frame along with the other wires and is tied to the middle of the handlebars. Makes it easy to power my GPS or charge the phone in a tank bag. The last picture on here shows it. If you get some polyester braiding off eBay at the same time it almost looks professional ;)

Oh.. and a little tip as you're a newbie. When you undo the battery terminals, don't let the nuts drop down into the frame. It can take a couple of hours dismantling the bits in there to get them out. I know from experience having done it myself. Have a magnetic pickup tool nearby just in case. Also available on eBay (other online auction houses are available)

Hope that helps.

Sockets should be labeled or identified somehow as to their maximum current capacity. If it's not labeled, it's likely a cheapo and I would question its quality. Use whatever fuse it says. If there is no indication, I'd use a 10A. That's generally safe and on a bike you probably won't be plugging in 10A worth of accessories (you'll kill the battery if you do, alternator doesn't have that much overhead). General rule of thumb though is you fuse for your wire gauge.

I fused at 10 amps with a weatherproof fuse holder. Works fine for cell phone, gps, etc. I made the holder accessible under the fairing and carry extra fuses in my pack.

Well after searching aronud a bit I have ordered one on these....

12v MOTORCYCLE WATERPROOF ACCESSORY SOCKET + 1.8m LOOM on eBay (end time 01-Oct-10 13:01:46 BST)

Seems like a hassle free item.... fingers crossed...

Now the next question on my mind is...when I disconnect the battery, how long do I have till something on the bike resets or will it potentially cause problems with the alarm/immobilizer (i have a Datatool alarm/immobilizer fitted)..?? I had a car on which the alarm and immobilizer locked them selves to some factory default when the battery died... is something similar possible with the bike?? Presumably the battery cannot be left disconnected for long??

All of the above advice is good, so I'll only add that when you get your fuse holder, get one for the mini fuses. Since the FZ6 uses mini fuses elsewhere, you don't have to carry two types of spare fuses.

Fred

Back